EBAY: UHaul CT 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #21

Name: Scott
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Brenda, just wondering what issues you saw. Thanks!

Scott
climberx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #22

Name: Brenda
Trailer: In the Market for 13' Camper
California
Hi @climberx here is the list... I did not look at it as thoroughly as I could have because after two seconds we (my seven year old and I) had already decided that 5k was too much. Most of it is cosmetic but for $5K I would have liked to have seen it a bit cleaner. I did not look underneath so I don't know if the trailer bed was rusted and I did not look inside of the storage beneath the seat cushions to see if the fiberglass was intact. Pretty sure it's ok though. The owners are very nice and will take/send photos of whatever part of the trailer you'd like to see. So I will start with the good:

Pros:
- Added AC/Heater unit which was on cold and worked perfectly
- New electrical thingy where all the wires come together
- Two batteries
- Working lights inside and out
- Fiberglass structure was in excellent condition
- Refrigerator worked and was good (but NOT new)
- Owners are very nice and accommodating people and I felt they were very trustworthy
- Standard 7 way RV plug
- Original awning included
- Hand pump water faucet replaced with regular rv water faucet (so no more pumping)
- No mildew smell
- two burner stove works perfectly

Cons:
- Window seals were cracked (and that is a biggie for me)
- Center seal outside of the trailer that covers the two halves of the fiber glass is old and dried up
- No space to store anything underneath the sink. It is above the wheel plus all sorts of electrical wires were in there.
- Lining in the storage cabinet above the original heater was gone and unfinished.
- Table wobbles
- Exterior needs to be waxed
- Definitely has an 30 year old trailer vibe inside (not very clean)
- carpeted flooring is bit raggedy
- Carpet strip in the center all along the ceiling on the inside of the trailer is ok but not awesome. I wondered why it was there to begin with but maybe that is normal. I didn't ask.
- Replacement windows, parts and accessories impossible to find.
- Original solar panel not in operation. Although it is still there it is blocked by AC unit.
- Upholstery was ok but not comfy and I would have ripped it out and stared anew.
- Inside the cabinets above the stove are very rough, not lined. The fiberglass fibers show.

For the things I would have wanted to do on it right away (such as the windows) it would cost me $1,000 or more. Plus taxes and fees, another $400 or so. That would have made the trailer at least $6,300 and at that amount my husband and I decided we'd rather save our money for a new or newer model Scamp or Casita.

I drove 3.5 hours to see it. The owners live about an hour from Sequoia National Park. So if you decide to get it, you can go to Sequoia right away Just bring some cleaning supplies. Other than that it is camp ready.
Brenda_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For those not familiar with Uhauls I'll comment on Brenda's cons; window seals are available, about $100 gets you enough to do 3 trailers [minimum order]; original windows can be rebuilt or replacements of a different type are available, about $150 each for the sides or rear; outside center seal is available, it is basically trim to cover the seam; inside ceiling carpet is glued there to cover the unfinished fiberglass at the seam; closet had no liner, I built shelves in there with a back board; the early models did not have liners in the overhead cabinets, they were supposed to be installed later, probably impossible to find a set; solar panel is about useless, they were just to keep the battery from sulfating when the trailer sat on the rental lot. Other stuff like table and upholstery is what it is, we don't use most of it, bed is permanent foam mattress, Casita chair in front in ours. Unless a previous owner has upgraded the trailer there will be issues, but they are doable but take time and you can end up with a nice little trailer. As far as I know the CT13 campers didn't have A/C and as to whether the roof can support it is debatable, apparently it has worked on this one.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
For those not familiar with Uhauls I'll comment on Brenda's cons; window seals are available, about $100 gets you enough to do 3 trailers [minimum order]; original windows can be rebuilt or replacements of a different type are available, about $150 each for the sides or rear; outside center seal is available, it is basically trim to cover the seam; inside ceiling carpet is glued there to cover the unfinished fiberglass at the seam; closet had no liner, I built shelves in there with a back board; the early models did not have liners in the overhead cabinets, they were supposed to be installed later, probably impossible to find a set; solar panel is about useless, they were just to keep the battery from sulfating when the trailer sat on the rental lot. Other stuff like table and upholstery is what it is, we don't use most of it, bed is permanent foam mattress, Casita chair in front in ours. Unless a previous owner has upgraded the trailer there will be issues, but they are doable but take time and you can end up with a nice little trailer. As far as I know the CT13 campers didn't have A/C and as to whether the roof can support it is debatable, apparently it has worked on this one.
Good summary. I don't see any of the cons as real issues, beyond the price, as I paid half that for one in better condition.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #25

Name: Scott
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Thanks for the comments all! I may just tent camp through the summer and look for a better deal in the fall. We just sold our 89 Westy and I'm a little nervous about not having a cool camping rig!

Scott
climberx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul