Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #239

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

Think that little emoticon says it all.
Yup, I've seen this scam a bunch lately. I've tried to get Ebay to remove about half a dozen such listings, but they're too busy. So, if you think something's a scam, and if it's too good to be true in other words, it probably is.

Insist in such a case that you'll pay for it in person, cash at time of pick up. The scams I've seen offer free shipping, so insist you'll pick the trailer up personally so they can save the amount of money they'd have to spend to ship it. Since shipping a trailer isn't cheap, if it's an honest deal, the person offering free shipping will jump for it. If not, you send your money and you'll never see anything for it.

Caveat emptor!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #240

Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Has anyone seen this photo before?
2005 scamp for sale, about $7000, good price but not too good to be true, seller responds directly, says is available for local viewing, but offers to DELIVER FREE personally anywhere in US.
I don't want to post the referral because I want to buy, but am wary. Most of the "warning signs" check out, except fot the free delivery, and payment by personal check or certified bank check only.
Waddya think?
Attached Thumbnails
cf0d_1.jpg  

Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #241

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Has anyone seen this photo before?
2005 scamp for sale, about $7000, good price but not too good to be true, seller responds directly, says is available for local viewing, but offers to DELIVER FREE personally anywhere in US.
I don't want to post the referral because I want to buy, but am wary. Most of the "warning signs" check out, except fot the free delivery, and payment by personal check or certified bank check only.
Waddya think?
You mean this one? Scamp Trailer

Anyway you can go view it? I certainly wouldn't send funds ahead of time.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #242

Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Quote:
You mean this one? Scamp Trailer

Anyway you can go view it? I certainly wouldn't send funds ahead of time.

Thanks Donna-
Thats the one, They respond directly through the E bay "ask seller a question", so they are the registered user. I really appreciate all of the detailed warnings here. I would probably be such a sucker had I not been a reader of FGRV. If I buy I am sure I will only do cash in person, maybe with a small deposit.
I figured I had better check and see if that photo was Immediately spotted as someone elses egg!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #243

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Always ask for a phone number. If you get the phone number,call it, and talk to the person and get more details. This has always worked for me. No phone number given --NO PURCHASE.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #244

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All,

I am totally new to all this but have been reading your boards for a few months now..I am fascinated with fiberglass trailers and would someday love to own one for travel with my four dogs to agility trials. Sadly money is tight (not like it isnt for everyone but alas it's just not in the cards right now) but I was so hoping to find a used "deal" before Sept to travel to PA for our cattle dog nationals to camp in. SO I ran across this ad on Craiglist and got ever so excited til I got this reply....and then figured I would check back here on the list cause I knew I had seen some things about scams......well here ya go......I bet thats just what this is.....stupid ME!

http://longisland.craigslist.org/rvs/610632554.html

And here is the reply I got............

Thank you for your email. I still have it for sale but before i answer to any of your questions i have to let you know that i am in Canada right now visiting my parents ranch. That`s not a problem because i can still handle the transaction. When i left in Canada, i left the item along with several other items in the iSOLD It custody because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home and i decided to sell this one before i get back but not on ebay because i need to sell it faster. So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. So if you are really serious and still interested, let me know and i will explain all the details of the transaction...

Thanks

Adam

So what do you all think........is it real or fake? I did reply back again as I would never buy anything without seeing it first anyhow.........but it seems to good to be true.....and in the ad he keeps referring to we, we, we and in the e-mail its me, me ,me......strange........

Cheryl in CT and now jaded and sad.........and scared of EBAY too after reading .....
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #245

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Yes, it is a scam.

I am moving this to the scam thread. It will get noticed there and warn folks better.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #246

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Here's a Scamp 13 Custom Deluxe on eBay that looks like it has fraud potential:

1996 Scamp 13

I reported it to eBay. We'll see what happens.

Roger
Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #247

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I read recently that scammers are now absconding with the Ebay IDs of legitimate sellers and circumventing communication through Ebay, which would tip off the legitimate seller, by insisting that potential buyers call and speak directly to them. Additionally, even if this is a legitimate seller, this seller is attempting to avoid paying Ebay its fee, which obviously is dishonest. Whose to say that is where this person's dishonesty ends? Just a thought. . .
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #248

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I read recently that scammers are now absconding with the Ebay IDs of legitimate sellers and circumventing communication through Ebay, which would tip off the legitimate seller, by insisting that potential buyers call and speak directly to them. Additionally, even if this is a legitimate seller, this seller is attempting to avoid paying Ebay its fee, which obviously is dishonest. Whose to say that is where this person's dishonesty ends? Just a thought. . .

I had this happen to me. E-bay actually locked my account for a while. It turned out that they had been watching me and the "other me" for a while before they locked the account and got rid of the crook. Unfortunately they didn't notify me untill after this person had been using my identity for a while. This means that there are people out there that saw my ID and recognized the request as a scam and reported it. E-bay was unwilling to allow my to change my ID and keep the record of my good history in transactions even though it was a slip up in their security that allowed the crook to gain access to my id and account info.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #249

Trailer: 79 Apache Roamer (Trying to Buy an 'Egg')
Thumbs up

This one almost seems too good to be true-and isn't the price of $2900 just a little to co-incidental? However, it could all be on the up-and-up-if any of you in Texas check this out and it's the real deal (even if you buy it!) could you please get back to us and let us know?

http://www.adpost.com/us/vehicles/111718/

It is in super nice condition with a shower, porcelain toilet and sink.
2 dinettes Gas water heater, A/C, 1.9 cu.ft. 3-way
refigerator 110, 12V, gas. Thermostat furnace, 30 amp power charger, spare tire & cover,
2 mounted jacks, 10' self stored awning ( great shape) , TV antenna, folding screen door
(has a couple small tears) rear window opening, Side Cabinets, 12 volt porch light, hanging closet,
9 gallon blk water under toilet, 12 gallon fresh water tank, 26 grey water tank, battery, 2 -20 lb propane tanks,
fire extinguisher, and new curtains. The cushions are in excellant condition (like new) No stains or tears.
It is very clean & not smoked in. Very clean around sink and stove area as it was hardly ever cooked in except coffee. Carpet and flooring are great condition also.No leaks what so ever. We do not have the original papers on this camper. Overall height...7'10
Old 05-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #250

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I'm half tempted to call this a scam. That's an obnoxiously low price.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #251

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
that trailer is really nice looking at the slide show.....looks like no title though. hopefully that's the reason for the low price and somehow can get a re-hab title (salvage)....???...good deal if legit'
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #252

Trailer: 79 Apache Roamer (Trying to Buy an 'Egg')
Not only is the price ridiculously low, but it is the "scam" price put on Scamp and Casita postings by con-men on E-Bay. You can bet it is not a good idea to send the people who posted that ad a cashier's check or any kind of money without seeing the camper first.

On a similar note, there is another Scamp on that same site posted a few hours before and also ridiculously low priced:

http://www.adpost.com/us/vehicles/71163/

2001 SCAMP - Very good condition

INCLUDES:
FRONT COUCH CONVERTS TO BUNK BEDS
REAR DINETTE CONVERTS TO BED
SHOWER AND TOILET
GRAVEL SHIELD
CITY WATER
MOUNTED JACKS
GAS HOT WATER HEATER
10 AWNING
AIR CONDITIONER
DUAL GAS TANKS
3 way REFRIGERATOR (110v,12v,GAS)
SCREEN DOOR
FURNACE 12,000 BTU-THERMOSTAT
EXTRA CABINETS
3 BURNER RANGE
OVEN
SILVERWARE DRAWER
20 AMP POWER CONVERTER
ELECTRIC BRAKES AND CONTROL
NO SMOKING, NO PETS, NO KIDS
CABLE HOOK-UP
OUTSIDE 110 OUTLET
SPARE TIRE AND COVER
This is the Scamp with the bunk beds in the front of the trailer.
2900$ Email me for more details and for more pictures abiut the camper!!!
Details

Make: Other
Model: Scamp
Year: 2001
Price: $2900 Firm
Vehicle Id Number: 1S7R1610910135128
Condition: Used
Advertiser: Owner

Also $2900. Coincidence?

If I lived anywhere nearby I would drive over with my truck, buy it, hook it up and drive away before anyone could stop me. Both of those trailers are a steal at that price (heck, I'd be tempted to buy them both)

But, send any kind of deposit or money to them sight unseen? No Way!

Tags
scamp