Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #361

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Would this be a scam? Someone advertises a 2008 casita in Atlanta on Wednesday, on craigslist; I answer that day with my # and say we can come see it, I get an email back "showing it on the weekend cheers" I write back, where and when, please call (and give my # again), no answer at all, then on Monday I get an email, The casita is still available, here are pix; again no #, so I email back, it looks in excellent condition but you need to call me to discuss it and give my # again, no call.

By this time I think he is a scammer and fishing for some response from me he's not getting. He never gives a #, never calls, and never says where in Atlanta he is. Maybe he's looking for a response about cash deposit or something.

Any thoughts? It makes no sense why someone would email you back and never give you any information and never call.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #362

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Would this be a scam? Someone advertises a 2008 casita in Atlanta on Wednesday, on craigslist; I answer that day with my # and say we can come see it, I get an email back "showing it on the weekend cheers" I write back, where and when, please call (and give my # again), no answer at all, then on Monday I get an email, The casita is still available, here are pix; again no #, so I email back, it looks in excellent condition but you need to call me to discuss it and give my # again, no call.

By this time I think he is a scammer and fishing for some response from me he's not getting. He never gives a #, never calls, and never says where in Atlanta he is. Maybe he's looking for a response about cash deposit or something.

Any thoughts? It makes no sense why someone would email you back and never give you any information and never call.
Scam
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #363

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Yes. Scam. Sounds familiar!! I have replied to many of these over the past few months. They just keep leading me on if I let them. One was an actual trailer that the owner replied to my husband and not me. The Casita had been rolled, the door did not fit right and they never got a salvage title. My thought is this one was not meant to be yours. Makes one very fustrated though!!!! I have given up on my dream Casita for now. There is one on Craigslist now and I have emailed that owner. He is about $2000 higher than what I sold my 2000 - 16 ft identical to his. Well, needless to say I am not buying that one! I finally found a brand new camper this weekend, not fiberglass and yes I am sad about that, but at least I have a camper and at a much more reasonable price. I gave up on my dream Casita camper for now. Way to many scams and I finally had had it. Hopefully you will find your dream camper soon though. I found lots of dishonest people selling, all wanting to make a few extra bucks from what they origionally paid for the camper. I will pay a decent price, but not padding their pockets for way more than they paid for it.
That being said, watch out for the scammers, they are out there big time. Why? I guess maybe they enjoy watching us get our hopes up to be let down again.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #364

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Karalyn What did you end up buying?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #365

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Check out the general forum Kevin. I went Sticky this time ;-( I got to fustrated waiting for my dream camper.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #366

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
It was a scam--to collect my cellphone # and now I'm getting spam text and spam calls at all hours offering me a loan. Sad thing is this was also on the casita forum as well as craigslist, and what are you going to do? People ask for your # and you give it assuming they'll call. Now I have to figure out how to block my cellphone spam texts.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #367

Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
I have been trying to sell stuff on Craigslist recently, to save for a Fg... ALL except 1 response has been spam.. I get texts constantly about winning a walmart gift card too..

It's too bad really, Craigslist Has gone downhill
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #368

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
10-12-12 ad on tulsa craigslist for a 2005 Casita $3900 is a scam, the would not tell me where it was located or anything substantive about it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #369

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Question Scamp Camping Travel Trailer "00 2500.00 (Buda)

I don't know if this is one- but worried about it! Maybe you guys have some insight. Here is the response from an email.

"No problem, I'll explain the process myself and sorry I used acronyms, I should have specify the whole service name from my first email. Their website is addeco-transactions . com, they are a consignment service that sells items online for a fee. The process shouldn't be a hassle at all; it's a fairly simple process: you leave an item you want to sell in their possession or have them pick it up from your home and they will handle the payment, shipping and handling for you, all the seller needs to do is find a buyer. At this point, they have the trailer in their possession, so considering you would like to buy it, the process is very simple. You need to register on their website, they will contact me to confirm that you are the buyer and if everything checks out, they will send you an invoice with the payment and transaction details. You send the payment to them by following the invoice instructions and they will start the shipping. At the point where you receive the trailer, a 10 day money back guarantee starts which allows you to inspect and approve it, or you can have it returned with no questions asked if it`s not as described in the original ad or in my emails. So if you decide to keep it, they will pay me, if you decide to return it they will give you a full refund immediately.

The registration is free and they will not ask for any personal information such as credit cards details or anything like that, they need only your information as a buyer so they can issue an invoice. At the time of the registration you can also specify a preferred shipping date, you can request a bill of sale if it serves you any good, etc.

The shipping process will take between 3 and 5 working days and it`s free for buyers, actually the whole process is free for you, they deduct the shipping and handling fees from their commission and if you decide to return the item they will charge me because they will consider that I failed to specify certain details about the trailer and I haven`t described it correctly. So at one point they will have the payment and the item and will make the exchange, sort of like an escrow service.

Hopefully I explained everything, if you have questions please ask. You can also take a look on their How it Works page or on the Frequently asked questions page where you can find some answers. Sorry for the long email and I hope this doesn't look complicated because it really isn't, it's a simple five step process. I hope I explained it well and if you have other questions, please ask.

Thanks"

It's about an hour drive, so I'm going to ask to go see it. Flagged on Craigslist. If real-seems it would have sold first call. Or it's gutted?
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #370

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, Stacy sounds like a total scam. If they start to have a long complicated story, mention paying ahead and shipping services presume it is a scam and run away from it!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #371

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
Nice little Airstream that is super cheap. Good pictures and nice description. It has been flagged as a scam the minute it went up. Doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to figure out you can't get something for nothing--but they still persist.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #372

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Incredible-
And I mean that in the "not credible" sense of the word!

This thread began in 2006- surely we're not still talking about the same "scam"???? What possible use can there be in keeping the same thread open, presumably just piling on new/different scams?????

Note to Site:

Folks might be better served if threads like this were closed once the trailer/scam/bad guy in the original post/question disappeared!

Francesca, mystified.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #373

Arizona
It doesn't take much to figure out if they are a scam or not. On Craigslist, we should delete anything that looks suspicious immediately.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #374

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Incredible-
And I mean that in the "not credible" sense of the word!

This thread began in 2006- surely we're not still talking about the same "scam"???? What possible use can there be in keeping the same thread open, presumably just piling on new/different scams?????

Note to Site:

Folks might be better served if threads like this were closed once the trailer/scam/bad guy in the original post/question disappeared!

Francesca, mystified.

It might be boreing for those of us who have been around for awhile (we all have a choice not to read this topic.) But I think it's a wonderful topic to keep for newbies. They can read and learn. It's unfortunate that this type of thing occurs but I think it needs to be a topic available at all times.

Frankly, I haven't even seen this thread in years, but posting to it brought it up. Again, we have a choice to read or not!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #375

Arizona
You are right, Robin. I am new to all this RV stuff and it was quite enlightening to read the scammers' messages and say "that's too good to be true." Makes me realize that there are some pretty bad people out there who prey on all of us.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #376

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Pat, as you know not every seller is bad. But not every seller is good either. That is why I think a post like this will help members who are new to the search process, find the perfect trailer for them without being taken for a ride. It's hard enough to find a glass/egg in the used market without scammer's adding to the frustration.

Unfortunately the scammer's are now getting into vintage/retro scams as well. Of course it can be a problem with anything being sold on the web. But they tend to prey on items that are popular.

Good Luck in your search and welcome to fiberglass!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #377

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca, mystified.
I guess you didn't notice the title of the thread... it's PLURAL

Fiberglass Trailer Scams
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #378

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I guess you didn't notice the title of the thread... it's PLURAL

Fiberglass Trailer Scams
Not to mention PERPETUAL....I guess it's not meant to be an early-warning for current threats.

It does make an interesting "How-to" read, though

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #379

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Francesca, I think the idea is to have one giant Scams thread that folks can post what they've found... to warn others, rather than a gazillion individual threads... at least I THINK that's the thought
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #380

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
On Craigs list Ventura and Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

1973 13' Boler in Ventura California $6000

Sellers do not seem to realize what they are doing is illegal. You can not just take a Canadian registered trailer regardless of its age and sell it in the USA without properly importing it to the USA first. Anyone who buys this trailer while it is in the USA will never be able to legally register or title it. .

Ad reads "Rare collector 1973 Boler trailer,
We are from Vancouver Canada and after 6 month adventure, wishing to sell by Mid-week. Cell. #1- 778-710-2085 gives you Bob or Lyn readily available here in Ventura to show this cute, little home in great shape and parked 1:00 pm to 4:00pm across from Fairgrounds at Surfside Beach. Come say Hi."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp