Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #101

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I bought my trailer off ebay, one of 200+ clean buys over the years, but that don't make your experience any less painful, I am sure. You always got to watch the flags!Wire transfer to UK for a trailer in California? How big was that!

Ebay is constantly warning about sellers who want you to duck around their procedures. I saw that Casita auction and emailed the guy in the UK asking where exactly the trailer was so I could go look at it. He in fact responded with a non-answer and I notified ebay about the guy being shady. About the same time I got an email from ebay warning me that contacting sellers through private email addresses was foolish. I also used the "contact seller" hot link on the auction site to ask the same question, and got a reply from the actual guy who's identity the UK scammer had hijacked, informing me of the situation.

So its not like it's all on ebay.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #102

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Hi, this is my first post and I wanted to share with you a very recent event for me. I was scammed, attempting to buy a Casita on Ebay.

Sorry about your loss Gary.
I am an ebay junkie. I have had 55 trouble free transactions on ebay since last Dec.
Several of them have involved thousands of dollars. If you follow ebays instructions and use pay pal you should not have any problems. I will not do business with anyone that does not accept pay pal for the deposit. If you are a buyer pay pal costs you nothing. Pay pal charges the seller 3%. I usually pay the deposit with pay pal and pay the balance in cash when I pick up the item. I have had only one problem. I paid for 3 day delivery on an item and a 10 days later it had not arrived. The seller did not respond to my e-mails. I filed a complaint with paypal and they refunded my total payment in 2 days. I did receive a negative feedback from the seller but that was better than losing my money.
The ATV section on ebay is notorious for the scam that you suffered.
I buy and sell ATVs and have reported at least 30 scam listings in the last year and they have all been removed. Just this week I have reported 3 listings and they have been removed.
Follow ebay rules and use paypal and you should be safe.

I hope you find your perfect egg,
John Perry
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #103

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to cathys
i saw the same scamp ad that's on now a few months ago, i knew it sounded too good to be true so i emailed them why they were selling it so cheap? they replied that it would be too expensive to ship the trailer to europe where they were moving..they are slick and it almost sounds convincing....it's sad to think people are being taken advantage of and they are getting away with it.
cathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #104

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gary, what a bummer... and it's true that not everyone is honest... fortunately most of us are. Don't give up or give up hope. Just be more wary about the next one you find. There are signs of fraud that should send up a red flag. I won't bid on anything on eBay or buy something long-distance on Craigslist except on my terms. I figure the seller wants my money worse than I want the item. I can always find another widget that meets my needs, but the sellers may not have an abundance of buyers.

I always use a credit card and always purchase through PayPal. While the PayPal system protection system is a little weak, the combo of using a card and PayPal is about as safe as you can get if you can't be there in person.

I've bought a significant number of items both on eBay (500+ transactions) and now a couple on Craigslist, along with some long-distance trailer purchases and sales. Actually the biggest pain I've encountered along the way was a long-distance buyer who superimposed unreasonable expectations on the trailer I had listed for friend. Long story...

Anyway... hang in there... as Mary wrote earlier, you're among friends here, and we look out for one another pretty well. Keep an eye peeled here and you'll undoubtedly find what you're looking for eventually at a price you're willing to pay.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #105

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gary, I was close to being physically ill after reading your horror story...and it was horrible. While we as a group cannot help you get any funds back, you are among friends with the commonality of loving these molded fiberglass beauties.

Is there anything your insurance agent can do? You HAVE suffered a loss. And, don't forget to include this in the loss section on your tax return. Your tax preparer can give you more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #106

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
From time to time, members have had other members living close to the RV for sell take a look at it.

We put together a [b]Check List to help the process.

Quote:
This check list is to help get neutral information from a fellow Fiberglasser. It should be better then the biased information from a profit motivated seller.

Remember, The buyer would have to understand that this is a friendly opinion, it carries no legal weight whatsoever. The basis for looking at the trailer would be to let the prospective buyer form an opinion of their own on whether or not to make an offer. In any case, the buyer should retain the right to reject the purchase after looking over the goods.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #107

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
be true so i emailed them why they were selling it so cheap? they replied that it would be too expensive to ship the trailer to europe where they were moving..they are slick
They used the same line on me, but said that the trailer had been left to them by (her)
father-in-law. The irony is that I paid for it with part of my inheritence from my recently passed Mother's estate.

Gary R
Gary R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #108

Another quick update:

I have reported the scam to the FBI, the local police and have sent emails to spoof at both Ebay and Square Trade.

The one good lead that I thought I had was shot down by the police; I thought that the LA Fax # might help, but the policeman said that it will be untraceable, because they use throw away cells as a trigger hookup for roving fax #s.
Yesterday someone here claimed that their photos had been lifted for use in a similar scam. These people are thorough and as has been stated before slick.

And thanks for the kind words and welcome to the community. My big question now is...when I finally get one of these eggs, will it be my first trailer or my second trailer? LOL

Gary R
Gary R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #109

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Is this Scamp ad a scam or for real?

It seems that a couple of weeks ago I read a post by someone stating they were going to have to sell their 02 13' Scamp as it was to small when they take their grandaughter camping. The only thing wrong with it was a small nick on the counter from a falling can.
This and a 2800 mile trip to Glacier National Park is in the description of this Scamp. It is item #130020575136.
Is this your add or has it been stolen by someone? I ask as the buyers are instructed to make contact at a non ebay e-amail address.
I have been looking for a 16 foot egg for my son when I came across this add.
John Perry
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #110

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
They are getting better... but..

the direct contact is the one thing they can't lose to make the scam work. The other items of concern are missing, but I would contact them THROUGH EBAY to see whats up.

My guess is:

I don't think "tequilachuck" sounds like the type to take the grandkids camping...
and if you email through ebay, he will likely tell you the same.

There is a 3 dollar bid on it. Hope they get it
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #111

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it being listed under "Metal ware, Bronze" doesn't bode well for it either.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #112

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Gary, glad to see you still have a sense of humor about this. We have a friend that lives in Florida that owns a scamp. He has told us he sees many fiberglass trailers for sale in Florida in April and May which I guess would be considered pre-camping season. The guy we know lives in Sarasota. We wish you all the luck in finding an "egg". Hang in there and don't give up the search yet.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #113

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Boler and 1984 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Here it is again. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290022883685

I reported it to ebay. I don't get how they get away with scamming though.
Laura Lundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #114

Quote:
There's a Scamp scam on ebay right now SCAM
Good catch Byron. I reported it also. It's gone this morning.

Quote:
This Listing Is Unavailable

This listing (320020670357) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.
Roger
Old 08-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #115

Quote:
Here it is again. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290022883685

I reported it to ebay. I don't get how they get away with scamming though.
I reported it as well. They get folks to respond through "phishing" emails that appear to be from eBay. Why folks respond to them is beyond me, but they do. I get a couple of them a week sometimes. They get the victim's account info (password) and they're off and running. Local law enforcement doesn't have the resources to track them down and they're usually off-shore somewhere out of reach of the locals. The Feds and international law enforcement have more on their plates than eBay scams to spend their time on. THAT's how they get away with it.

Unfortunately, some of the really sophisticated scams running in the developed world right now are run by and fund terrorist organizations. The dollars they receive go directly for terrorist funding. Since they're not particularly concerned about legal consequenses anyway, it's a perfect way to raise money. You'd absolutely be shocked at the methods that legitimate funds are being stolen and/or diverted.

Roger
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #116

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
If you want to remove any lingering doubts that it's a scam auction, click on the "other items from this seller" button.

There's 4 trailers, including the Scamp. Two of the auctions have been edited by the real owner of the account announcing that it's not his trailer and that his account was hijacked.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #117

I've reported about 400 scam auctions on ebay this past week since I became aware of them thru this website. All their ads have a buy it now price of $2,900. (most anyway)...they want contact outside of ebay only. Using selling a John Deere Tractor, camper, RV, in gift items category, etc. Not too hard to spot. And most have a starting bid of less than $100., usually with an odd .change amount.

I'd shut down their auction and they'd be back in business 15 minutes later. I save their auction list and an hour later search for auction items on the list and catch them again.

I was going through the trouble of emailing the scammers, but found I can log into ebay > my ebay > send email. It has 'unauthorized activity' > stolen ebay ID listed as subject choices.

I'm amazed that some people can be suckered by the ads, but then again they got those ID's by people responding to junk emails that their ebay account had been compromised and to enter their user/pw. I used to tutor people on the computer and I'm not suprised at all that there is always a new crop of victims online.
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #118

Is this the same one again?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Dinett...sspagenameZWDVW
JulieOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #119

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
How about this one listed under tanning lamps
180022964290 for $1.49.
and this one 180022954068 under books fiction.

Both want a direct e-mail before bidding. Both have same pictures exactly. Both under the same name. Interesting.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #120

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
This one is still on ebay but it smells like a scam to me.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp