Hunter Compact? CA $425 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Name: Rob
Trailer: still looking
I'm hope he still have it till tomorrow as I want to check it out the condition overall. By the way I'm new here and would like some opinion (good or bad) about it. I spoke with the owner about a week ago regarding the title and he said the title is registered under utility trailer (PTI) since the frame is not the original as he mentioned in the add. I was wondering if this will be an issue to CA dmv if I want to transfer the title and would they require me (assuming if I'll buy it) to bring it to them so they'll verify if the title correspond the the trailer or camper? What would I need to look at and how hard hard it is to bring it back to a fair good condition (again assuming If still available)? I need your input pls. Thanks

kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Heath is correct. This trailer is a Trails West Campster. Note the wheel well openings with removable upper section that are missing. Nothing like that on a Compact II. Also, the side windows are rectangles and the side windows on the Compact II are parallelograms.

1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Originally Posted by kapitan View Post
What would I need to look at and how hard hard it is to bring it back to a fair good condition (again assuming If still available)? I need your input pls. Thanks
There is a checklist somewhere of things to look at, but particular to this type of trailer: look for cracks in the fiberglass; the square design isn't as good at avoiding them as rounder eggs. Check the poptop mechanism- fabric can be replaced, springs can be replaced, but if none of it is functional you might have a hard time getting parts. The floor is plywood over fiberglass so as long as the fiberglass is good underneath you could replace the floor if you need to; most go spongy near the door first unless there have been leaks.

This trailer uses the kitchen wall-fridge wall as part of its roof support so if that has been removed something should have replaced it.

I had problems with the leaf springs in mine being really sticky and had to have a part replaced (can't remember what it was called but it lets the spring move independent of the trailer, sort of a hinge.) Not a big expense.

Pretty much nothing is a single huge expense- but you can get a whole lot of small expenses if nothing is in working order. Mine was in pretty good shape but right off hand it needed new wiring to the tow, new tires, one new wheel as the spare was a different size, new floor covering (I put it over vinyl that would have been usable) the spring thingy, a propane tank, curtains, upholstery (if I hadn't just made a permanent bed,) and a new wheel jack and something for the outside (I used poli glo so no painting.) And it is nowhere near restored, just made comfortable and in working order.

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
Name: Rob
Trailer: still looking
Talked to the owner today and someone looked at it yesterday and he will hold it for them till wed. most likely they will take it according to him. I'm back on square 1.

kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote