Is this a scam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Willy
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Is this a scam?

2004 Casita Deluxe

I emailed her before I saw this...

SCAM ALERT - 2004 Liberty Camper - $1950 | 04 Casita 17 ft camper - $1950 | 2004 LIBERTY casita 17" - $1950 | Casita Camper - $1950 |Travel Trailer - $1950 | 04 Liberti Deluxe 17ft - $1950 | 2004 Casita Liberty Deluxe - $1950 | Fiberglass RV's For Sa

She responded and answered some of my questions. It just seems a little strange. Or is it just me?
jawsthemeswimming4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ely-26542.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We all hope to find the "deal of the century", and we have actually found and bought a couple of them. Usually the scams have no phone number, there are reasons given that you can't come and look at the trailer, the common one being that it has been taken to a shipping company and will be shipped to you at no charge. Also odd payment methods are requested. Scams are usually listed in multiple locations in the country, you can use crags helper/searchtempest to search multiple areas for the same ad. Don't buy a camper without going to look at it, or someone in that area looking for you. Some of the scam ads use pictures from sales brochures, or even from another legitimate ad. Usually when you ask "when can I come look" is when you'll figure out if it's legit or a scam.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

New York
I just did a quick search and found the identical worded ad in several locations, same picture or one different picture, couple different email addresses, and several locations it had already been flagged for removal. Certainly a scam. Scamps and Casitas seem to be a favorite lure of the scammers.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Check search results here:

all | Ad Hunt'r - Search ALL of Craigslist™ and more!

It's all over- same $2400.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsthemeswimming4 View Post

She responded and answered some of my questions. It just seems a little strange. Or is it just me?
Would luv to see her response to your questions.... often the responses to the questions are a good clue that it a scam.

edit to ad: No doubt the ad is a scam - if you search on the phone number as well it turns up lots of ads for same trailer for $1900 from back in August.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
This kind of thing comes up frequently on internet classified sites. Whether it is for a travel trailer, boat, atv or whatever. It will be listed for a price about 25 or 30% of the normal asking price. Then there is the story indicating the seller doesn't really know the value but it came from an estate (my uncle died and this was his pride and joy etc). Most of the time it is scammers from another country who have copied the pictures and info from the internet and assembled the ad. The bottom line is they want an advance payment or access to bank or credit card info. If they get any of that your money is GONE~!
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Two Points:

If you, the buyer, thinks that you are getting an underpriced deal because the seller is unaware of it's value, you have already forgotten that you found the dad on a site that can be searched for typical values. IOW: If you think you are ripping off a seller, you just might deserve what you get....nothing

And, as always, if it sounds to good to be true, it is at least 99% 0f the time.

Or, there is always my fav. as one seller claimed; "It's cheap because my (insert name of relative) died in it and I just want to get rid of it"..... Super YUK~!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Added Note: Short cut to finding if it is a scam: If there is a phone number or a personal email address, Google that and other ads with the same number/email will appear.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Definitely a scam after reading all that. I emailed the person back and said I have an aunt and uncle who lives in Columbus Ohio (where she said her and the trailer currently are because of a divorce) and I want them to come take a look at it for me. Then I asked her to message me back with a date/time for the meeting. We'll see what happens. I thought it was too good to be true.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Scams

Apparently my Chase Master Card has been blocked, at least that's what the lady on the phone said. Hmmm Wonder when I got a Chase Master Card?? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Apparently my Chase Master Card has been blocked, at least that's what the lady on the phone said. Hmmm Wonder when I got a Chase Master Card?? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Mine too! (although I don't have one either), but at least they put that $400 back in the account I had disputed - or would've if I had the account .
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Quote:
You called her?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Lately I've been getting emails pertaining to some issue with my American Express card, but I don't have one, so just delete the emails. My guess is they're fishing for some personal info, like bank account numbers or SS#.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #15

Registry
Yup Bob they are for sure.

My brother got a call from his Bank one day asking him why he was applying for their VISA as he already had one. As a result of that call he looked into the situation and discovered that someone had used only his name and SSN# to acquire several credit cards and they didnt even have the correct birth date on any of the applications or the correct address - they used an address on the other side of the country. He learned the party had racked up over $160,000 in credit card debit over the last 60 days! The credit card companies involved all ended up eating the charges as they were the ones who issued the cards using very poor applicant verification practices. To this day he still does not know how someone obtained his SSN#.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I got a call from Microsoft on my house phone a few days ago. They called me by name. (My name is in the phone book). This is the third time in a couple of years. Each time I was informed that my computer had a malfunction that was causing problems on the internet and was I near my computer? Of course they will try to get you to activate the remote technical assistance feature then when they have control of the computer they can copy files looking for financial information etc.

Each time I enjoy toying with the person knowing that he is a scammer. "Yes I am on it right now. Let me finish my banking transaction". Then tell him that have several Apple computers. Tell him that you think the one he is asking about was stolen. Ask why his phone number does not show up on your caller ID. Say just a minute and I will set up a three way call with you and me and the detective who is working my case.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #17

Registry
LOL Bruce I have been having great fun with the Microsoft Technical Assistant calls as well. Love playing them along.... sometimes they go along with it for awhile but then get mad and hang up when they realize they have been well had. LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsthemeswimming4 View Post
You called her?
Why would I do that?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Why would I do that?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #20

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Willy, I saw the same Casita $2400 ad on Craigslist for Metro Detroit yesterday. I went back to flag it after reading your post, and it is already gone.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote