MI: Toyota Sunrader - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2015, 02:37 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Shopping
Alaska
I would like more info on Sunraders. I am looking at a 1990 Sunrader; V-6; 6-lug wheels; wondering what is a reasonable price. I know it depends on condition of the RV (I'm a long way from the RV & have only seen photos), but what range of price should I expect?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It's all about condition and that can be very, very complicated on a V6 Toyota motorhome. They will range from about $6000 to over $20K
As we are primarily a towed molded fiberglass group, I suggest that you post you question here: toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com

Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Shopping
Alaska
Thank you!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #18

Name: J
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
1986 sunrader questions - how to contact off-line?

I have a few questions - whats the best way to contact you offline ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Sunraders are the top of the food chain in Toyota Motorhomes and, with modest care, 200,000 miles isn't unusual for the 22R/22RE engines, it's the 3.0 VZ-E V6 that goes sour early on....
I believe that particular one still has the original 5 lug rear axle and after market rear wheels that were recalled in 1991 and, if so, is unsafe to drive as the wheels are known to snap the ends of the axles off without warning. That recall was against Sunrader, not Toyota and none of them were repaired by the factory. It's a $1200+ fix for a new owner. BTW: Contrary to some sellers claims, NONE were exempt.

Sunraders, with the exception of the floor and the entry door, were 100% molded fiberglass and, with the exception of those living in the rust belt states, are renound for their reliability and longevity. In about 80k miles mine never had to be towed anywhere. And they had 6 not 4 wheels.....
If anyone wants more Sunrader info, I have owned 5, contact me off-line.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
J, I think he is on the road right now so he may not get back to you real soon. Just click on his name, the drop down box gives you the option to private message (PM) him. Those don't go out to anybody else on the forum. He may get that quicker than an open post.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #20

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
I had a 22re. Most gutless car I've ever driven. I can't even imagine driving an RV powered by one!

Everybody always tells me how reliable they are.. and I believe it. How can it break if it can't make enough torque to snap any of its metal bits. :P
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #21

California
I drove 4 cylinder Toyota motorhomes for almost 10 years and can only remember 1 or 2 occasions when they did not have enough power to get the job done.
Considering the much smaller sizes (17-21 feet) the much better economy 16-18 MPG, uber high reliability and low cost of ownership, that's more than a fair trade off.

However I do understand that some see POWER as a compensation for other inadequacies.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #22

California
Two occasions is two too many.. maybe I got a lemon but whatever the cause, it sure was dangerous driving that thing! It was an 80's 4x4. I clearly recall being passed by semis up grades..
Old 06-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #23

California
To Many???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp View Post
Two occasions is two too many.. maybe I got a lemon but whatever the cause, it sure was dangerous driving that thing! It was an 80's 4x4. I clearly recall being passed by semis up grades..
WOW, two instances in 10 years is to many????? Fortunately I realize that I don't live in a perfect world and plan in advance when driving., unlike the MB Sprinter conversion I saw nose down in a parking lot in Yellowstone NP a few weeks ago. He tried to make a parking place out of a slope and it seemed he couldn't back up until a friendly 4x4 guy used his winch to pull him out.

And, just last night, I was passed by dozens of semis on grades between Quartzsite AZ and Riverside CA, but I was doing the speed limit (55 mph)and enjoying optimal MPG's. What others choose to do has no effect on me whatsoever.

BTW: I have never heard anyone suggest that Toyota Pick-ups, including 4x4's were "Unsafe" due to a lack of power. The current prices and demand for mid 80's units are somewhat proof of that.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #24

California
I got a well used 4x4 with the 22 back when I was 16, and it was dangerously underpowered. Like I said maybe something was wrong with it. I remember flooring it up grades and not being able to hold 55mph. Not even close. Anyway that was my ONLY experience with a 22 so yes maybe I have an unfair bias against it. That is all I have to go on.

I do remember in the 80's reading about people fitting sidedraft carbs on to those things, and swapping buick v6's into them. Maybe they were all crazy POWER mad folks though.. :P
Old 06-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking Speed Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And, just last night, I was passed by dozens of semis on grades between Quartzsite AZ and Riverside CA, but I was doing the speed limit (55 mph)and enjoying optimal MPG's. What others choose to do has no effect on me whatsoever.
I look at it this way: I do the posted speed limit. In California, towing, it is also the truck limit. I figure I may as well do it. Someone has to and the trucks certainly don't.

I got my last speeding ticket in 1965. It was $15. I was making about $2.50 per hour at the time so it was a whole day's work. I decided right then that I could just throw away my $15 or learn from the experience. Speeding tickets today are really expensive. I will never know how much money I saved over the years.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #26

California
Never heard of a "Side Draft" carb, like an SU, being fitted to a 22R engine, that would take an entire new manifold to install a basically obsolete carb. There was a street/EPA legal Weber (downdraft) conversion kit for those engines that was and is still available.

I agree, a 22r 4x4 would not satisfy most 16 y.o.'s, but we all tend to grow up sometime or another.

Now, let's all agree to get back to your original topic in Post #1, if that is still of interest to you.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #27

California
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ion-18589.html

I'll agree to disagree. Those numbers speak for themselves..
Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Name: Parker
Trailer: In the Market
Indiana
Thanks for this forum, y'all. I'm considering a 1981 Toyota Sunrader manual trans with 111K and some upgrades (and some issues). I'm very interested in how much more life this Sunrader might have and how serviceable it is. The owner says there's little rust and there have been a lot of upgrades and improvements. But there are some issues. Among other things, the A/C doesn't work, there's a hole in the exhaust and the windshield wiper water pumps need replaced.

Advice and answers are appreciated. Bob, I've sent you a message.

Thank you!