MI: Toyota Sunrader - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I drove 4 cylinder Toyota motorhomes for almost 10 years and can only remember 1 or 2 occasions when they did not have enough power to get the job done.
Considering the much smaller sizes (17-21 feet) the much better economy 16-18 MPG, uber high reliability and low cost of ownership, that's more than a fair trade off.

However I do understand that some see POWER as a compensation for other inadequacies.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #22

Name: Rick
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
Two occasions is two too many.. maybe I got a lemon but whatever the cause, it sure was dangerous driving that thing! It was an 80's 4x4. I clearly recall being passed by semis up grades..
Comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #23

To Many???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp View Post
Two occasions is two too many.. maybe I got a lemon but whatever the cause, it sure was dangerous driving that thing! It was an 80's 4x4. I clearly recall being passed by semis up grades..
WOW, two instances in 10 years is to many????? Fortunately I realize that I don't live in a perfect world and plan in advance when driving., unlike the MB Sprinter conversion I saw nose down in a parking lot in Yellowstone NP a few weeks ago. He tried to make a parking place out of a slope and it seemed he couldn't back up until a friendly 4x4 guy used his winch to pull him out.

And, just last night, I was passed by dozens of semis on grades between Quartzsite AZ and Riverside CA, but I was doing the speed limit (55 mph)and enjoying optimal MPG's. What others choose to do has no effect on me whatsoever.

BTW: I have never heard anyone suggest that Toyota Pick-ups, including 4x4's were "Unsafe" due to a lack of power. The current prices and demand for mid 80's units are somewhat proof of that.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #24

California
I got a well used 4x4 with the 22 back when I was 16, and it was dangerously underpowered. Like I said maybe something was wrong with it. I remember flooring it up grades and not being able to hold 55mph. Not even close. Anyway that was my ONLY experience with a 22 so yes maybe I have an unfair bias against it. That is all I have to go on.

I do remember in the 80's reading about people fitting sidedraft carbs on to those things, and swapping buick v6's into them. Maybe they were all crazy POWER mad folks though.. :P
Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Speed Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And, just last night, I was passed by dozens of semis on grades between Quartzsite AZ and Riverside CA, but I was doing the speed limit (55 mph)and enjoying optimal MPG's. What others choose to do has no effect on me whatsoever.
I look at it this way: I do the posted speed limit. In California, towing, it is also the truck limit. I figure I may as well do it. Someone has to and the trucks certainly don't.

I got my last speeding ticket in 1965. It was $15. I was making about $2.50 per hour at the time so it was a whole day's work. I decided right then that I could just throw away my $15 or learn from the experience. Speeding tickets today are really expensive. I will never know how much money I saved over the years.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #26

Never heard of a "Side Draft" carb, like an SU, being fitted to a 22R engine, that would take an entire new manifold to install a basically obsolete carb. There was a street/EPA legal Weber (downdraft) conversion kit for those engines that was and is still available.

I agree, a 22r 4x4 would not satisfy most 16 y.o.'s, but we all tend to grow up sometime or another.

Now, let's all agree to get back to your original topic in Post #1, if that is still of interest to you.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #27

California
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ion-18589.html

I'll agree to disagree. Those numbers speak for themselves..
Old 08-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #28

Name: Parker
Trailer: In the Market
Indiana
Thanks for this forum, y'all. I'm considering a 1981 Toyota Sunrader manual trans with 111K and some upgrades (and some issues). I'm very interested in how much more life this Sunrader might have and how serviceable it is. The owner says there's little rust and there have been a lot of upgrades and improvements. But there are some issues. Among other things, the A/C doesn't work, there's a hole in the exhaust and the windshield wiper water pumps need replaced.

Advice and answers are appreciated. Bob, I've sent you a message.

Thank you!
ParkerSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #29

Hi Parker
If you post your questions here:
toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com
you will get a much greater range of help and answers. Just don't let anyone try to convince you that it wasn't in the axle recall and doesn't need the 6 lug, full floating, axle upgrade to be safe to drive. It does, there were no Sunrader exceptions, except for the 1978 17'er.

As in fiberglass campers, it's all about condition, condition and condition.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #30

Indiana
Excellent and will do. Thank you, Bob

Quote:
Hi Parker
If you post your questions here:
toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com
you will get a much greater range of help and answers. Just don't let anyone try to convince you that it wasn't in the axle recall and doesn't need the 6 lug, full floating, axle upgrade to be safe to drive. It does, there were no Sunrader exceptions, except for the 1978 17'er.

As in fiberglass campers, it's all about condition, condition and condition.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #31

California
I have heard on 4x4 forums the manual trans gets more out of the motors. I've also seen some dyno sheets showing worn out "116hp" 22RE's making 60hp. Make sure you test drive it in conditions reflecting your type of driving. 60 horse doesn't pull this weight safely in the L.A. traffic I would want to swim in. If you're out in thin traffic it might not be an issue..

Bob, there are folks asking for advice in this thread. And that is what I'm giving, from a guy who drove a 22RE for years. If you don't agree with me thats fine, no need for snarky comments about 16 year olds and inadequacies..
Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #32

I think that Parker has left the building.
But, then again I have owned many Sunrader's with the 22 series engines and did not find them lacking for power on the SoCal freeways system, which I drive on extensively. But I am well past the needs and expertise of the youngsters.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #33

Name: eric
Trailer: sunrader
California
should I buy a 1977 sunrader or is the engine or electrical too old to repair
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #34

Hmmmm...he first year for the Sunrader Mini-Motorhome was 1978. I suspect what you are looking at is a 1978 Sunrader coach on a 1977 chassis. It should look like the one on the right in the picture below. The pop-up on the left is a one-off, 1989 Sunrader Adventure
To answer your question, parts are still readily available.

Also here is a link to additional pics of a 1978 I rebuilt a few years back

1978 Sunrader by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Old 12-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Rebuilt Sunraders

Absolutely beautiful.....

Deb

( Sunrader lover too)
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #36

Indiana
Thank you, Bob, fo rthis and your other post.

And thank you all for the other posts. It's important to know if these or any models are still getting use and still finding parts.

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all, Parker

Quote:
Hmmmm...he first year for the Sunrader Mini-Motorhome was 1978. I suspect what you are looking at is a 1978 Sunrader coach on a 1977 chassis. It should look like the one on the right in the picture below. The pop-up on the left is a one-off, 1989 Sunrader Adventure
To answer your question, parts are still readily available.

Also here is a link to additional pics of a 1978 I rebuilt a few years back

1978 Sunrader by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #37

Name: eric
Trailer: sunrader
California
Sunrader

for Bob Miller or others. There is a 1988 Toyota Sunrader RV 18ft Touring Model - $11000 for sale that I would like to buy. Is this too much to pay for a vehicle that had engine rebuilt at 150K miles and now has about 210K on it.
this is what the add states:
This is a rare 18 footer, perfect for outdoors day trips and camping. I redesigned the interior to sleep 4 comfortably. The restoration was completed using solid Oak hardwood for the cabinets and and Pergo flooring, the lower bed is now larger by 10 inches. The kitchen area has white quartz counter top with a new 2 burner domestic euro glass top stove. I also added a 110v AC Unit that can be used with a generator. It comes with a a new front interior, the seats have been replaced with 4Runner seats for comfort and support. New Firestone Airbag and Bilstein shocks were installed in 2015, along with Yokohama tires. It has full LED lighting and SOLAR. The ARB freezer in the picture is not included. Engine was rebuilt at 150K, vehicle has been fully serviced recently. New radiator and Fan replaced during last service. Over 15K invested with the restoration and upgrades.
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #38

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Toyota had HUGE problems with rear-ends in 1977-1986 Cab/Chassis trucks sold to RV motorhome industry converters due to overloading of the rear drive axle. It is and was so bad that there was a recall on Toyota motorhomes.

This problem is most prevalent with the dual rear wheel equipped Toyota motorhomes that were NOT original equipped with a factory "floating axle" dual rear wheel rear-end (1977-1987). Many of the converters of the time used adapter kits to install dual rear wheels on their conversions to increase the weight capacity of the chassis to match the weight the RV manufactures's where installing on the chassis which lead to the problems of broken axles and accidents. There are also instances of the problem of rear axles breaking also occuring in Toyota motorhomes equipped with a single rear wheels do to overloading of the coach by the owner with all their "junk" they believe that is needed for camping.

The problem was resolved to a certain degree during the 1986-1987 production years when Toyota began to offer a true dual rear wheel "floating axle" rear-end in their cab/chassis trucks sold to RV converters. Apparently problems still continued through the early 1990's as in 1993 Toyota stopped selling their cab/Chassis trucks altogether to the RV industry do to liability issues.

This issue "may" not apply to this particular Toyota motorhome as it appears to be a single rear wheel model HOWEVER you should be aware of the Toyota rear axle issues in Toyota motorhomes from this 1977-1987 vintage/era and check out any Toyota chassis RV coach rear-end carefully prior to purchase as single rear wheel Toyota motorhomes from 1977-1987 are NOT totally immune to this serious safety issue/problem.

Attached is a PDF file containing information concerning this critical issue that everyone considering a Toyota motorhome should read:

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote