Referral: 1987 Bigfoot 5th wheel $1,450.00 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #15

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Washington
Bigfoot 5th Wheels

Allow me to weigh in and echo Lizbeth's comments. The Bigfoot 5th wheel was one of the few that my 6'3" Chris fits nicely in. The floor plan works out great for our family. We love having the full-time, truly queen size bed. It's so nice not to have to set it up and take it down every day and night!

The Bigfoot 5th wheel may look large if you're used to cute little 13-foot trailers. Really, it's a very comfortable size. It's only 20 feet, only 3 feet longer than the Bigfoot 17. Our 5th wheel looks absolutely tiny when parked next to stick-built trailers.

I can think of a couple of reasons why fifth wheels are a bit harder to sell. First, you have to have a pickup. Literally the cart before the horse quandary (been there, done that).

Second, the Bigfoot 5th wheels that are out there are getting pretty darn OLD. Keep in mind that Bigfoot stopped making fifth wheels in 1994 and it seems like most of them are from the 80s. They hold up well, but not if they don't get plenty of TLC, like all fiberglass trailers. I'm very fortunate to married to a talented fixer-upper who enjoys renovating Bigfoots. We've had three so far. I know, it sounds crazy but it kind of gets in your blood.

I wouldn't tackle any trailer that needs fixing up unless you really want to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. Also, by the sounds of it, this listing probably has cigarette smell -- a deal breaker in my book.

And Lizbeth is also right that these models are hard to come by in the USA. There are more in Canada, but then you're faced with import restrictions that make it next to impossible to bring one across the border.

Maureen

Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen M. View Post
Allow me to weigh in and echo Lizbeth's comments. The Bigfoot 5th wheel was one of the few that my 6'3" Chris fits nicely in. The floor plan works out great for our family. We love having the full-time, truly queen size bed. It's so nice not to have to set it up and take it down every day and night!

The Bigfoot 5th wheel may look large if you're used to cute little 13-foot trailers. Really, it's a very comfortable size. It's only 20 feet, only 3 feet longer than the Bigfoot 17. Our 5th wheel looks absolutely tiny when parked next to stick-built trailers.

I can think of a couple of reasons why fifth wheels are a bit harder to sell. First, you have to have a pickup. Literally the cart before the horse quandary (been there, done that).

Second, the Bigfoot 5th wheels that are out there are getting pretty darn OLD. Keep in mind that Bigfoot stopped making fifth wheels in 1994 and it seems like most of them are from the 80s. They hold up well, but not if they don't get plenty of TLC, like all fiberglass trailers. I'm very fortunate to married to a talented fixer-upper who enjoys renovating Bigfoots. We've had three so far. I know, it sounds crazy but it kind of gets in your blood.

I wouldn't tackle any trailer that needs fixing up unless you really want to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. Also, by the sounds of it, this listing probably has cigarette smell -- a deal breaker in my book.

And Lizbeth is also right that these models are hard to come by in the USA. There are more in Canada, but then you're faced with import restrictions that make it next to impossible to bring one across the border.

Maureen
I would like to add one thing to what Maureen said as the former owner of not only a Bigfoot 5th wheel but 5 others ( presently have a 19 ft. bumper pull Bigfoot in our collection that will go up for sale shortly). Another issue or maybe problem depending on how you look at it is that not only do you need pickup to tow one of these, because they are heavy and you can't tow one with a 4 cylinder or even 6 cylinder as some people have tried to do. Expect the weight of one of these to be about 5,000 pounds.
Deb

Tags
bigfoot