Responsibility for Referrals - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Well, I guess since I am the one who got this post growing, I will say that I am sorry cause it has gotten off topic from the original referral ad post. I was just trying to clarify that we who take the time to search were only trying to be helpful to those who are in the quest to join the world of fiberglass rv-ing/camping are not necessarily impolite, maybe clueless as we were being a little tooooooooo helpful at creating work for others, hence the reason for the post being split. So again to those in the quest of the perfect egg, I am sorry I took it off topic. I understand that tidyness is next to _ _ _ _ _ ness (thats why I have been spring cleaning today), but hope this forum doesn't become a stagnant forum, because it takes so long to post an ad that we give up trying to bring more into the fold. Thank goodness for people like Kevin who is dilegent in posting pictures for each ad. The time it takes to do so is more than I care to take. I guess I am of the thought that if I am looking I can click the link and see the original Ad posted by the seller. I understand the new process of Quoting the Ad itself for futher info about each trailer and am more than willing to copy and paste and truly hope the information we post will help egg owners in the future if needed. But it's as I said earlier about we all are just trying to be helpful and it takes more than one person to keep it all going. I certainly didn't mean to become problematic. I meant only to get a point across that we weren't being impolite on purpose. If it's a new rule, by all means state so, that way those of us who try to keep the referral forum fresh will know so upfront and choose if we want to participate or not. Again, I am sorry to the members who are searching for taking this off topic. Best of Luck in your search. Robin

Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #16

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Before I became a member I didn't even know about the referrals page. It seems that making some form of the referrals visible to guest would encourage them to become members.

I don't know the inner workings of this board, nor what's hard or easy to accomplish. With the realisation that what I suggest may be difficult to do, let's see how this would work out:

Say that instead of manually maintaining the two pages of REFERRALS and SOLDs, we replace them with something like "Current Referrals" and "Stale referrals", where "stale" means, for instance, two weeks. Guests would be able to see all of the Stale Referrals. Guests would also be able to see the title of the Current Referrals page, but when they click on it they are encouraged to become a member in order to see the actual page.

Now if the mechanism behind this board would allow a script to run once a day (a cron job in UNIX-speak) referrals which became old enough would automatically be moved to the Stale page.

I think this slight remodel of the board would help from several standpoints:
1. Guests would have a better sense of what they're missing
2. The moderators would no longer have to manually move listings from Referral to Sold.

And perhaps everybody lives happily ever after...

Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Or it could just be kept as one page and non-members could perhaps either see a sample referral or maybe just not the first few pages?

I like that if an "oldie" comes up again, or someone figures out something new to say about it, we can add to the original thread about it.

I also wouldn't really care for the constant stream of "new" posts to the "stale" section showing up in my "new posts" listing.

As it is, if someone posts about how "author removed this posting" to a three-week old Craigslist ad, it comes up in my new posts list and I click on it for basically no reason. I like to read the referrals, but don't care that much to know when, say, an eBay auction ends or a Craigslist posting gets deleted.

My .02 (.98 to go )

Raya
Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #18

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
We never had a clean up crew here until recently. The referral forum always seemed to work just fine. It would ebb and flow depending on who was searching for a trailer and if they were posting what they were not interested in. I really see no need to have a separate forum for the sold stuff. It was never a problem if someone posted -Sold- in a reply or the first poster or a moderator marked -Sold.

And by the way just because a listing expires on Craigslist does not mean the item is sold. Those posts should remain because the item will probably be relisted and it give folks an idea to look for a new listing. I've seen several moved to the sold when in fact the listing has just expired.

I think it is very interesting that this has become a "problem". People don't have to read the referrals if they don't want to, just skip the darn thing! I love all the referrals and at least read the heading of every one.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #19

Ok, I have a suggestions. What if the web site had a Easy Button (for the lack of a better name) on the referral forum only that if and when someone who is searching or cares to search back postings could hit the Easy Button if the Ad is no longer valid and the post would automatically be moved to the archives? Cause like others have said, the old post 10 pages back being brought back to the top is just a waste of time. Kinda like wading thru all the "craigslist wanted ads" Robin
Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #20

California
It isn't a new rule -- it's just a rule for myself because I was posting so much and I didn't want to burden the moderators. I think that fundamental misunderstanding of what the original conversation between me and Raya L. was all about has created much more heat and frayed nerves than light and clarity.

However, it has been useful in the sense that this topic has exposed some of the issues with the Referrals page maintenance and that perhaps we all are making a bit too much work for ourselves (including the moderators).

What really works well are the threads that make use of the varied knowledge and interests of the members and only require a moderator if a member needs a post straightened out, retitled after 24 hours, or whatever.

The Referrals thread is different in that it requires (in its current incarnation) cleansing, which only a moderator can do. Perhaps a different model could work at least as well without requiring nearly so much work. I would love to see that.

Edit: Boy, I think and type way too slowly -- I was responding to Robin G.'s comment at 3:17 that started with "Well, I guess since I am the one who got this post growing." I didn't think it was necessary to quote it but I see I should have at least quoted enough that people would understand what post I was responding to.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #21

California
Quote:
Ok, I have a suggestions. What if the web site had a Easy Button (for the lack of a better name) on the referral forum only that if and when someone who is searching or cares to search back postings could hit the Easy Button if the Ad is no longer valid and the post would automatically be moved to the archives? Cause like others have said, the old post 10 pages back being brought back to the top is just a waste of time. Kinda like wading thru all the "craigslist wanted ads" Robin
I like this.

Another thing I would like is that the person who creates the topic be allowed to edit the top post as well as its title and subtitle to update the price, new web link, and other information. In an archival sense this is "wrong" because the succeeding posts may look weird because the responses will be to information that has changed.

Another way of approaching this would be that the referral threads would display newest first (not oldest first, which is what is used everywhere now). Thus the NEW price and NEW link would be the first thing people see, but the thread would maintain its integrity.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Personally, I've never felt we had any responsibility to keep the Referrals clean or current. These have all been posted as a SERVICE to someone looking to buy a trailer.
The history of this effort is that the moderators never did try to tidy up any part of the "For Sale" forum. From it's inception in 2002 when this board was created, to the beginning of this year, [b]for 7 years, the "For Sale" forum percolated along, growing and growing, along with the rest of FiberglassRV. [b]Whatever was posted on FiberglassRV stayed on FiberglassRV; just where it was originally posted. (Except for the hack of November 2005, when most of the content here was destroyed.) [b]Nobody ever gave it much thought.

The simple solution was to just mark ads "SOLD".

Then earlier this year, we got feedback that new people were getting frustrated in their search for elusive trailers. Out of our HUGE database, which had over 50 pages of ads, only the newest few pages were of any use to newbies searching to buy. But the rest of the ad section was invaluable as resource data for trailer owners fighting their insurance companies for fair compensation of losses due to accident, as the NADA guides weren't realistic. Some trailers sold right away, while others took longer. The "SOLD" ads were all mixed up with the active ads.

The simple solution was to create the "SOLD" archive.
BUT, now someone had to dedicate man-hours to sorting it out. It doesn't sort itself out automatically. [b]Whatever is posted on FiberglassRV stays on FiberglassRV, until some Moderator acts upon it.

I volunteered.
I spend several hours every day here, anyway. As my Grandfather once said, "Strive to be functional, instead of merely decorative." My love for this community prods me to contribute, whatever I can.

New Software development is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
I don't think we have those resources.

Some of us can find trailers that are for sale and tell members here about it.
That's all we ask.
The rest... is gravy. Let's each just do the best we can.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #23

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
The Referrals thread is different in that it requires (in its current incarnation) cleansing, which only a moderator can do.
I guess I just don't see it requiring cleansing. Also, as Lizbeth mentioned, an expired Craigslist ad is not the same as being sold, so moving those might not be accurate anyway.

Why not just let them "age out" as new ones take their place? Calling them up to the top to say "sold" seems like extra work and clutter, to me, vs. just letting them gracefully slide away.

I think if people trailer-hunting are complaining about having trouble getting through them all... well gee, just look at the original post date, and either call or don't call. Just like any ad you call on, it might be available and might be sold. We're providing these for you to give you leads, not guaranteed trailers. They are not meant to be as precise as the "real" For Sale section of our own members.

I think the only people who might "deserve" to be annoyed, are sellers who dutifully remove their original ad, and then get calls from people here. I suppose if that were an issue (it may not be), we could "make" people go to the original ad for the contact info (which would be gone if the sellers had taken their ad down). But I suspect it's not much of an issue, since most people don't call on ancient ads.

The ads that bug me are ones like those "rvmechanic" ones (not on FGRV), that STILL pop up in a search when they are YEARS old, and are not dated at all.

Of course it's good to discuss potential improvements and problems

Raya
(down to about 80 cents now )
Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #24

Frederick, I have a question, What if the referral forum, just automaticly just kicked out the Ad postings after they reach page 6 or 7 and they go directly into the archive. Lets be honest, after a few months it's most likely the referrals have sold, or the Ad has expired on craigslist. Now I know there are times when we find Ads to refer to the referral forum hot and heavy, but there are a lot of people looking for trailers so the demand is high as well. Frankly I have to agree with Donna that the referral forum is just a service preformed by members for members. Its not something the Website does like a Car dealershiip would. It's just us egg heads helpling others to become egg heads. The forum is just a resource that I would hope helps people on their quest. But would also hope that seeking egg heads would appreciate it for what it is. And not expect more. I would think that if a post reaches a certain page without any feed back from anyone, than more than likely the Ad has gone on to the big Ad list in cyberspace no longer to be found. And if at that point the particular trailer hasn't sold and or the seller has not refreshed their ad ( that would be seen by us who like to search) than it's the sellers fault that it hasn't sold. Not ours, members, moderators or the website.

I know when I was in the search mode, I took it upon myself to search once I understood all that it entailed but at no time did I ever think that this forum was frustrating just because an Ad was no longer viable. I took it for what it was. And always appreciated the fact that so much info was available to help in my quest. So to me it makes sense that after a certain page the Ad goes directly into the Archive (for building a data base) and if a seeker chooses to investigate a archived Ad they can with the understanding that they are old Ad's. Just as any Ad on page one could easily have already Sold, seekers need to understand that no one here has control over the Ad. Now that is not to say, that people can't choose to clean up where they choose too. Have at it! Just an idea that might work, if the website programs could pull it off. Robin
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #25

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, talk about a slow type'er Raya's post wasn't there when I started typing, Not that I didn't have to take the fur babies out mid way thru typing my thoughts. But heck I didn't need to type most of it, Raya had already did it for me!
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Just an idea that might work, if the website programs could pull it off. Robin
Just like modding a trailer, anything is possible if you throw enough time and money at it. I think these are all great ideas, but require assets. The problem, as I see it, is the referrals don't offer anyone who's been a member for very long, much of anything except entertainment. I wonder how many people who are completely satisfied with their trailers even bother to look at the referrals.... ever. I don't see any of these ideas reaching fruition anytime soon, but that doesn't mean they're not good ideas. It's obvious some of you have spent some time thinking about it and we appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #27

Unhappy

Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is the referrals don't offer anyone who's been a member for very long, much of anything except entertainment. I wonder how many people who are completely satisfied with their trailers even bother to look at the referrals.... ever.
Very good point Donna, Except us weirdo's who enjoy torturing ourselves keeping the search going.................. LOL. I have often thought hmmmmm, is it worth even searching when most topics go un-responded to, as far as if anyone even contacted much less went a looked at it or is it just members looking. Not to say that it is a complete waste of space on the forum, cause I have had a few people Pm me to Thank Me when they bought a trailer from an referral Ad I posted. Which was very nice to know that all the hard work put into searching has paid off a little bit, knowing a few have benefited from my efforts.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if a poll needs to be taken, then maybe the lookie-loo's will join in and speak up............. Come on lurkers, let us know if you find the efforts of the referral forum a benefit or is it just for the entertainment pleasure of those of us who have our trailers but enjoyed the search?

Or should we searchers take a break from searching and see if the supply and demand equals out? hmmmm
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #28

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I like the referrals.. I don't look at all of them but I enjoy looking at some, and I found my trailer through one. Keep it up. I don't care if they get updated or deleted as I only look at the recent ones anyway.