Responsibility for Referrals - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #1

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Quote:
Wow, Dana, way to round up the referrals!
The only problem with posting lots of referrals is that I am taking on the responsibility of checking them each day to see if they update, refresh, or disappear. The more I post the more work I make for myself in the future. So I probably will [b]not search the whole of the US very often!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well if you had to choose how to spend your time, I'd say post more referrals and don't check back on the older ones to see if they've sold or not. I mean, that's nice of you, but potential buyers can check for themselves, and then you can post more new referrals instead

(Assuming that you have time to do that, of course - you've been burning up the referrals, Dana! )

Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #3

California
I check the referrals not only for the buyers, but also to give the moderators a heads-up when a trailer is no longer for sale, so they can move the thread to the SOLD archive.

I think it is impolite to create a posting then abandon it, leaving it up to the moderators to clean up the referral list. I would prefer they get to spend their time communicating their knowledge and otherwise participating in the conversations than spend their time saddled with the drudge work of testing every referral to determine whether it is still live.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Dana, Wow impolite? Really? Honestly I am sorry if I created more work for the moderators. But I don't think people like myself are impolite for taking the time to post Ads for other members who are looking and maybe don't have the time or don't know of all the ways to search. I didn't realize this was a full time job and I needed to babysit the post, actually it would be great for people to post when they buy it or during their search they come across the fact that the Ad in the post has sold, say so. This forum is about members helping members, Not anyone person doing all the work. I thought of myself and others who take the time to search were being helpful to others, I guess I was wrong! And since I don't have the time to babysit, I won't post anymore as to not make more work for the moderators. Robin
Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #5

California
Hi Robin, I think you way misunderstood what I meant.

I never said one had to spend full time babysitting the ads, but I did say that it seemed appropriate to me that referral ads should be checked from time to time by the people who had originated the topic. I think once every day or two is sufficient.

I agree that the purpose of the referrals is to share the listings for those who are looking for a trailer (as I am). I also appreciate other members chiming in with their knowledge and opinions about the trailers and sellers -- it helps us all to learn what's what. I'm definitely a newby and have been greatly helped by many on this board.

I have also been greatly helped by those special members known as moderators. I know of at least one who has spent a lot of time trying to winnow out the SOLDs from the referral list. I don't see why that job should rest entirely on the moderator's shoulders -- if I can take the time to post I should be able to take the time to track the post. Not as a full-time job, but in a responsible manner.

I do hope that you will continue to share your finds. I also hope that you will from time to time check them to see if they need to be updated or moved.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hi Robin, I think you way misunderstood what I meant.

I never said one had to spend full time babysitting the ads, but I did say that it seemed appropriate to me that referral ads should be checked from time to time by the people who had originated the topic. I think once every day or two is sufficient.

I agree that the purpose of the referrals is to share the listings for those who are looking for a trailer (as I am).
I also hope that you will from time to time check them to see if they need to be updated or moved.
Dana, I don't think I misunderstood your statement. Cause you repeated it in your next post as well. It is your feeling, and I think it's great that you have the time to watch over your post. As I said, I do not. I at no time ever meant to add to the moderators job here, as you, I and everyone else know they are priceless. So please don't make it out like I or others were making their jobs harder, honestly I had never thought about all my searching was a burden to them or anyone else. As I stated in my last post, it would be great if the members who are looking/seeking where able to post that they had purchased the egg in a particular post or if during their search of the referral ads they find an ad has been deleted or expired to reply stating so. Again the referral forums is about members helping members. If I were to go back and check every ad I had posted daily or even weekly, I wouldn't have time to search. So as I said, I will back off searching and let those who have the time to do it your way post their finds. No problem. I just hope that the referral Ad's don't become stagnant because people loose interest in helping others. Best of luck in your search. Robin
Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I think it is impolite to create a posting then abandon it, leaving it up to the moderators to clean up the referral list.
It is admirable of you, and I thank you for communicating the expiration of links.
[b]I am also OK with whatever others are comfortable with. My Grandmother was only a so-so housekeeper, and had a plaque on her wall that read, "My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."

She had a way of enticing us grandchildren into tidying up for her, so that we didn't think it was work, and I wish to emulate that here. I volunteered to specifically maintain the For Sale forum, doing the weeding and pruning and sweeping up. I, like Grandma, appreciate all the help I can get. [b]But a little mess here and there will not turn me off to visiting... It'll get done eventually.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #8

California
Hi Robin, my "impolite" comment was due to the fact that I was posting a significant number of referrals and I felt at that level of activity I should help the moderators when the referrals became deadwood. Look at the very first sentence: "The only problem with posting lots of referrals...."

I'm not trying to set myself up as a policeman -- I was only explaining what I was doing and why. I did not mean to upset you or anyone else on the board.

I apologize to you and anyone else that was upset by my comments.

As I peruse the board I appreciate your many posts in which you unfailingly help others (certainly including me!) with topics from trailer tidbits to how to use this board.

Please, let's be friends.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #9

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I kind of said this above already, but as a member (and as a person who was searching for a trailer and found this forum helpful), I would choose a completely "un-maintained" referrals forum with tons of posts, over a smaller yet "tidier" referrals section. I'd rather call or e-mail a few duds than to not see them at all. And it's reasonably obvious that if a trailer is a great deal, and has been on the referrals for months, its likely sold. Or not. A prospective buyer can do the legwork to find out, IMO. Obviously as they drop off the front pages, they are getting older.

I've never come back to check on referrals I've posted; I always used any time I had to find and post NEW referrals (with adding the photos, it takes a bit of time).

Frederick: Thank you for trying to keep the Referrals forum tidy, but IMO please don't feel obligated to do it.

Robin: As you can tell, I think/hope you will keep on posting referrals just as you have done.

Dana: I love all the referrals you post, and I understand that you want to "maintain" them. For me though, it almost kind of "interrupts" their natural progression off the front pages because they show up in my "new posts" list again when someone posts that they are deleted. Not that you shouldn't maintain them, but like I said above, I'd rather see more new ones!

Raya
Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
And since I don't have the time to babysit, I won't post anymore as to not make more work for the moderators. Robin
Robin, I hope you'll reconsider. We appreciate your efforts, in whatever form they take.
We had let the For Sale and Referral areas get a little shabby in the past, mainly because no one brought it to our attention.
Now that we are aware, we strive to make FiberglassRV the best experience that we possibly can.
Your referral posts add to that.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
I would like to add that I (not being a forum expert) had no clue one was supposed to go and "clean up" after ourselves...I guess that is just ignorance on my part.
who knew?????
Old 05-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Personally, I've never felt we had any responsibility to keep the Referrals clean or current. These have all been posted as a SERVICE to someone looking to buy a trailer. Guests can read the referrals... you don't have to be a member. The one's I have heartburn over are the members, new members in particular, who join with the express point of using FiberglassRV assets to post a trailer for sale, and then never bother to come back and let us know it's been sold. Grrrr, vent, vent. To me that's just plain impolite.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #13

California
I agree with Donna about the sellers who don't bother keeping their listings current -- they are a treat!

As for the referrals, I can never see them until I log in as a member. Am I missing something?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
As for the referrals, I can never see them until I log in as a member. Am I missing something?
You're right Dana, I just checked! You can tell it's been a while since I was a guest. Humm, that makes sense tho. If any ole guest can read (but not see the pictures), we'd rather promote members ads that an unknown referral.

Closed Thread