Scam? Proceed with caution... Frankly I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Scam? Proceed with caution... Frankly I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole!

2006 CASITA LIBERTY DELUXE - Motors (item 312288431996 end time Buy It Now)

I contacted this seller because honestly it was looking like either a screaming deal or a screaming scam. After emailing back and forth, I am of the belief it's a scam. Of course I could be wrong, but I would be very careful if you were to proceed with a sale.

This trailer is about and hour and half from me, so I thought for that price I could at least go see it. Welllllllllllllllll, I received and email from the seller telling me about the trailer and all the issues he's had with people who are interested and then the sale falls thru. So it's now listed on Ebay, with protection yadee dadee da! Long and short the trailer is sitting in Las Vegas Ebay Shipping warehouse (already the shipping is paid)? My question was to him, how do you pay for shipping to someplace you have no idea where is going to be shipped to after the sale? (he hasn't answered that question yet!)
Shipping included in the sale price? REALLY? that sale price? He's either a scammer or a very un-knowledgeable seller. If he's the latter I feel very sorry for him. But I don't believe that is the case. To many come back emails with direct info to the sale.

I sent him and email stating that if he were to sell locally, I would be glad to come see it with money in hand. That I wasn't interested in buying something sight unseen nor having it shipped from and hour and half away from home. That is when I was informed it was in a "shipping warehouse in Vegas" and the shipping was paid for..........

Just want people to (think) before they send the hard earned money off to this.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Robin,

Good instincts. Definitely a scam. The url is not to Ebay, it is a false site. Report it to Ebay, I will also.

There is no "Ebay shipping center." There was a scam like this on Craig's List a couple of years ago. I reported them to the Las Vegas D.A.s Office.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Nice catch on this scam! I wouldn't have even noticed the url until it was mentioned.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
Robin, The url is not to Ebay, it is a false site. Report it to Ebay, I will also.
Update - I went onto Ebay and ran the auction number - no such listing. I then tried to report it, very frustrating. Ebay evidently does not like direct communication. I finally left a message, with the url, that I hope will find its way to the right people.

BTW, when these crooks were trying Craig's List they would pirate an ad, pictures and all, and then give the song and dance about the trailer being in a secure storage facility in Las Vegas. I followed them on a Bambi and a Scamp 19, got as much info from them and sent the emails and all to the DA in Vegas. The ads dissappeared sooon after.

Robin, if they really were in your area maybe your DA would be interested in looking into this?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
Update - I went onto Ebay
After an hour in queue I got to chat with an ebay rep. The place to report scams like this is to email the info to:

spoof@ebay.com

Hope this helps now and for future - There is a section on how to recognize real versus fake ebay pages.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Alas, it works both ways....
Within an hour of posting my daugher's Sunfish for sale on Craigslist, I got an email saying "yes, I want it, and I'll pay you $50 extra to hold it and take it off the board till it's picked up.... then the "unfortunately, I'm out of town,so I'll need to send you a check, blah, blah...

Out of courtesy, I sent a reply, stating that we only accepted real cash, so send the check to a relative, and have him/her come look at the boat. Never heard from the "buyer/scammer" again.

Ebay and Craigslist, especially, are places for folks with eyes wide open.

Sher
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Tom, I knew it! I hadn't caught the URL either so Thank You for bringing that up.

I wondered if it was a fake web/ebay/email. But I didn't investigate any further cause I needed to get this posted, Then Dh had a doctors appt. So I took off and figured if the guy was legit he would respond to my last email.

Well maybe, maybe not since I basically told him I didn't have time nor the money to dink around with scammer's.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote