SK (Canada) - 1979 - Trillium 1300 - $4750 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
SK (Canada) - 1979 - Trillium 1300 - $4750

Nice unit. It has exactly the same wheels as my daughters 77 Trillium 1300. I asked the seller for pictures of the inside and the data sheet. The serial number confirms the 1979 date, but I am kinda surprised that the fibreglass for the guacho is not the "almost dinette" style.

This is a loaded unit. The photos don't confirm fibreglass shelves front and back, but I would bet they are there. What can be confirmed is:
Door window
Kitchen window
Furnace
RM211 fridge
120 VAC to 12 VDC converter
14" rims
Optional cabinet doors
3 door closet
Upper bunk fall restraint bar, (well the mounts anyway)

The original cushions seem to be in good shape.
The rock guard is intact.

The only issue I see is the additional latch on the door. The Bargman L400 latch may not work, or it may just not have a key.

Trillium camper in great shape - Regina Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Regina Canada.

Date Listed 15-Jan-14
Last Edited 20-Jan-14
Price $4,750.00
Address Regina, SK S4V, Canada
View map
For Sale By Owner
Year 1979
Perfect little camper for young couple
Easy to pull can use SUV maybe even a car
Clean little unit
Fridge
Stove
Sink
One water tank
Water hook up and power hook up if site has capability
Propane can run stove and fridge
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg   photo 1.jpg  

photo 2.jpg   photo 3.jpg  

photo 4.jpg   photo 5.jpg  

Attached Images

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hi David!

This Trillium is now mine, and in my backyard in Saskatoon! I looked at it yesterday morning in Regina, and drove it up yesterday afternoon. I spent the morning shovelling and chipping ice so that I could get this unit off the street and into my back yard.

IMG_4347 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Crawling under a trailer in -20 C and wind is never fun, but I got a good look at the frame. I had looked at a 1972 Boler in Saskatoon, and saw a badly cracked frame then. In comparison, this Trillium had a much cleaner and solid frame (yes, an apples to oranges comparison). There is damage on the front of the tongue. It looks like someone tried to move the trailer then the jack was down, so the right hand side of the front of the tongue is bent inwards. There were no cracks in the metal or the welds, so I was OK with a careful 225 km drive. One of my first jobs is to get this fixed. The propane tank and the battery box were not present; I presume that the battery box was damaged with the tongue.

The trailer was relatively clean inside, and it looks like all of the appliances were used in the last season. The condition of the windows and fittings did not raise any alarms.

You wrote
>The only issue I see is the additional latch on the door. The Bargman L400
> latch may not work, or it may just not have a key.

I just ran outside (in the dark and the cold) to have another look! This picture in the ad is from a DIFFERENT trailer! There is no extra latch on the outside of MY trailer (there never was). The decals above the wheel well don't match either. INTERESTING!

In fact, google image search shows that this image is from someone else's 1976 Trillium ad:
1976 12' Trillium Travel Trailer | Calgary, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

AGAIN, INTERESTING. Well, I understand that the seller had to bring the Trillium in from the farm, so he didn't have access to it when he posted the ad. Using someone else's picture isn't something I would do ...

The images of the interior and the information sheet are correct. In fact, you'll notice the Roughrider curtains on the inside, but the outside picture shows curtains of a different colour.

I am the third owner. The second owner had it since 2000. The first owner apparently kept it inside when not used. I am going to give the first owner a call ... apparently he was a trailer keener, and did a few mods along the way. For example, the inside of the door hinges are reinforced with a metal plate. I'm curious what else he did.

I have been following this forum for a short while, to help my search for a small Subaru-towable trailer. This forum was a great help in giving direction on what to look for, and known problems with these models. Thanks for all your help!

Now that she's in my back-yard, she'll sit there quietly until spring. I'm going to find a welder / trailer repair shop to fix the tongue, and get propane tanks / battery bought and reconnected. The convenience of my back yard will give me time to putter to figure out its electrical, and to fix any problems that might exist with the fridge, stove and heater (AND to install a battery operating CO monitor!).

cheers,
Stephen
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Actually, I thought the add looked like my daughters Trillium 1300. The wheels, the battery box, the extra door latch..... Take a look:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-52389.html

Small world.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Actually, I thought the add looked like my daughters Trillium 1300. The wheels, the battery box, the extra door latch..... Take a look:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-52389.html

Small world.
Wow. Does she want to trade

S.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Trust me, you don't want the front 1/4 bathroom. I don't have claustrophobia, but going in there and closing the door, makes it difficult for me to breath. She is very small, so she likes it.

Yours also has a kitchen window, does it have the shelves I predicted it to have? Is there a window in the door?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Trilly the trillium

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yours also has a kitchen window, does it have the shelves I predicted it to have? Is there a window in the door?
Yes! A frosted kitchen window, and shelves above the stove.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295373955/

Some outside pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295776124/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295505813/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295908896/

Here's a picture of my bent tongue. Any thoughts? I will see if it can be straightened or if it new metal has to be welded in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295930676/

Now, this is strange. I have an extra light on the right hand side of the taillights. I wonder if this is a licence plate illuminator.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295765994/

Do you know what this metal bracket is for? (right of window, below fire extinguisher). It's above the level of the bunk bed ... is this for a "don't fall out of bed" bracket?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295398295/

An example if reinforced door hinges!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgurquhart/12295554283/

I need some better lighting on the inside ... it's dark on the inside.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Well I was wrong, no shelves in the front. This is common on 1300's with aluminum shelves in the back. Not sure why, but they never made aluminum shelves in the front for 1300's. The 4500's have aluminum shelves in the front. No matter, many people find the shelves in the front make for cramped sleeping in the top bunk.

The metal bracket that you ask about is for a fall restraint on the top bunk. I can see in your pictures, there is another bracket on the other side of the trailer. There should also be a two piece metal bar that is spring loaded, with rubber ends. It comes apart, so you might be looking for two pieces. The bar will fit into either side and give a measure of safety for the person sleeping in the top bunk. There should also be two bars that hold up the bunk. They are about 2.5' long, with rubber ends. Similar brackets are on the bottom of the top bunk, and there are depressions in the bottom bunk that these two bars fit into. If you don't have these, I can provide pictures and dimensions to help you get them manufactured.

The plates on your door will not hurt. They just look ugly. I have a similar PO repair on my trailer that I call Launch Pad. I plan on removing the extra long screws and filling the holes with resin and fibreglass. Some paintable calk will hopefully hide the screw holes. This repair will more difficult then my first door repair. I plan to take the door off, with hinges still attached, like the first time I did this repair, but this time I will use a board to act as the trailer side of the hinge mounts. The hinge most firmly mounted to the door will be where I start. As long as I can get the hinges working smoothly on the door / board, then when I tape the door back on the trailer, I can expect the hinges to be lined up when I redrill the holes in the side of the trailer. This is as close to the original design as I can get. The fact is that in 30 years or so, it will start to sag again. I will deal with that then.

The bent tongue is going to be a problem. The metal looks like it is beyond bending back. I am not a welder, but I would probably cut the square tube off where it has buckled at the jack, then bend what is left back, so it lines up with the coupler. The propane tank shelf does not look damaged in your pictures, so that is likely where the bend in the square tube is. When this is straight, I would then weld on a new section of square tube between the coupler and where the bent piece was cut out. While you are at it, a new coupler makes sense as well. BTW, the additional metal between the propane tank shelf, and the coupler is not original. They are not expensive. Others, more familiar with welding will likely disagree with me. I would listen to them.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote: Do you know what this metal bracket is for? (right of window, below fire extinguisher). It's above the level of the bunk bed ... is this for a "don't fall out of bed" bracket? UnQuote.

That bracket is identical to the brackets in my shower at home. Holds up the shower curtain rod.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
The important part about the bracket beside the fire extinguisher is that it is mounted to a block of plywood that is glued to the fibreglass. This is as opposed to the PO mod, on my Cantaloupe, where he screwed it through the fibreglass.

BTW, there should be a light fixture in the vicinity of the fire extinguisher. There should also be three more on the bottom of the aluminum shelves.

The light on the bottom of your curb side tail light is kinda bizarre. If it bothers you, then you can get a replacement lens at:
http://www.fibreglass-rv.ca/catalog.html
Paul sells the complete assembly, and just the lens if that is all you want.

Many of us have put LED lights in these lenses:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...2-a-52356.html

Also, Your trim on your Ensolite has become rippled. The easy fix for this is to take it down and boil it. It will smooth right out.

Tags
trillium