The Official "Search Tips" Thread! - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Red face

Okay, so I've been asked both in this forum and through private messages what my secrets are for finding so many "for sale" ads for fiberglass trailers. Well, it's a pretty easy formula, but it's tedious and you have to have the time, patience, and a keen eye to pick out the right responses to your search.

1: I always use Google.

2: I never use quotation marks or a '+' sign because it limits the responses to your search.

3: Keep the keywords simple, but remember that one person's trailer is another person's camper. What I mean is that one person might use the word camper throughout their entire ad, but another might always use the word trailer.

4: One single letter can also make a huge difference when doing an extensive search. I find ads for trailers from newspapers all over the country. Some of these ads come up because I used the word ads, but some on-line newspaper ads will list their classified ads under the word classifieds and never even use the word ads on their page. Get it?

5: The first place I always look is craigslist. ( www.craigslist.org ) The reason for this is simple... craigslist is a dumping ground. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's actually a good thing! People who list stuff on craigslist do so because it's quick, it's easy, and best of all... IT'S FREE!!! Being free means that there's no hassles with seller's fees or or issues with online payments or deadbeat bidders. Because the seller doesn't have to worry about all these things, he or she usually offers their item for sale at a significantly lower price than putting it on Ebay. In my opinion, Ebay is usually the WORST place to try and find a fiberglass rv. There are exceptions, of course. But for the most part, you're better off looking elsewhere.

6: Another place I look is the many, many classified ad outlets across the internet. There are too many to list and too many I'll never even know of. You just find them as responses to your search.

7: Don't get stuck searching for a Scamp and ONLY a Scamp. Most of these fiberglass trailers were built equally as well in quality. Scamps (and Casita) demand more money because of name recognition. Boler made great fiberglass trailers, as did Perris Pacer, Trillium, and all the others listed on the homepage of this website. Don't be afraid to seek out lesser-known brands of fiberglass rv's, they're all pretty much equal in quality and the lesser-known brands are usually significantly cheaper in price.

All that being said, let's get to the nitty gritty here.

Okay, so my keywords in a search for a Boler would look something like this...

craigslist boler trailer
craigslist boler camper

classified boler trailer
classified boler camper

classifieds boler trailer
classifieds boler camper

ad boler trailer
ads boler camper

for sale boler trailer
for sale boler camper

selling boler trailer
selling boler camper

This formula can be applied to every other fiberglass trailer listed on the home page of this website.

The only reason I would use the word trailer or camper after Boler is because Boler is a person's last name and could also refer to other things or products not related to the Boler fiberglass trailer. Same thing goes for a Scamp. Plymouth made a car called the Scamp years ago and there are other products that use the word Scamp, too.

Don't even get me started on Casita! You'll get four billion hits if you don't use the word trailer or camper after Casita, I guarantee it!

You want to keep your search open enough to grab what you're looking for, but narrow enough to eliminate an endless stream of hits that have nothing to do with the item you're seeking. If you're searching for something like a Play-Mor trailer you may not have to use the words trailer or camper because there are no other products with the name Play-Mor besides Play-Mor trailers... at least none I know of.

There are loads of obscure places to find fiberglass rv's on the internet. Hopefully, this little method will help somebody find a nice trailer at a reasonable or even super-low price like I did. Be patient and don't be discouraged. If you're ready to buy (like right now ) you should probably be doing these searches at least once a day because the best deals go FAST!

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow! Powerful stuff!...Thanks Buck!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Good job, sir!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

MOD< please sticky this in the referrals section
Old 01-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Buck - thank you for all your efforts - I certainly appreciate it and love looking at all the trailers/campers.

One of these days you are going to post one closer to me and I may be posting that I now have a trailer/camper too!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: Honey
California
I asked Buck about his searches before he posted here. I am glad to see his methods posted so we can all benefit. One thing I'd like to add: If you search the craigslist or newspaper closest to you, you might want to also do a really general search like "trailer." When I found my boler, it had been misspelled and would not have shown up using a search for boler. I would hate to have to search for all possible misspells and typos! If you are searching every day it doesn't take long at all to scan the ads and sort for new ones.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Buck - thank you for all your efforts - I certainly appreciate it and love looking at all the trailers/campers.

One of these days you are going to post one closer to me and I may be posting that I now have a trailer/camper too!
You're very welcome!

I'll do my best to help anyone who seeks a nice little egg of their own.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
Thumbs down

Hi Buck,
Thanks so much for all of the great search advice. Just to let you in on a secret weapon for searching multiple craigslist sites... there is a site called crazedlist.org that is a great search tool - check it out!! When I found it I did the happy dance
Andrea
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
Hi Buck,
Thanks so much for all of the great search advice. Just to let you in on a secret weapon for searching multiple craigslist sites... there is a site called crazedlist.org that is a great search tool - check it out!! When I found it I did the happy dance
Andrea
Thanks Andrea for sharing the crazedlist site. Now that is good reason to do a happy dance. I have used Craig's list to find things before and often went through the tedious search site by site.

Thanks also to you, Buck, for the detailed advice.
Charlene
Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #11

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
that site could cause more divorces than eBay!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
One other search tip for Google... if you want to search for multiple brands, you can search using "OR" in caps... so if you want results that have Scamp, Casita, or Burro, you could type in

trailer for sale scamp OR casita OR burro

Just a hint that might speed up some searches!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #13

Good information for seekers, such as myself. Any thoughts on how to search craigslist for an entire state, rather than specified area at a time? Is it possible? Thanks...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Good information for seekers, such as myself. Any thoughts on how to search craigslist for an entire state, rather than specified area at a time? Is it possible? Thanks...
Did you miss this information from Andrea? Or did you mean something else?

Quote:
Hi Buck,
Just to let you in on a secret weapon for searching multiple craigslist sites... there is a site called crazedlist.org that is a great search tool - check it out!! When I found it I did the happy dance
Andrea

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote