THEY'RE BACK. Government surplus sales - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #15

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
The first one was a 13'. I paid $640. It needed a lot of work but not nearly as much as the ones in Barstow. Lots of cleaning and small items. It had all the parts. The biggest thing I did was replace all the cupboard & closet doors. Also replaced the bed cushions. I had about as much in it as I paid for it when I sold it. If I had kept it I would have replaced the cushion covers. Still was able to sell it for twice what I had into it. I had gotten that one at a sale like this one.
The second one is my current one. I got that at a base sale from the recreation area. They have them for rent. Paid $1236. They had it listed as "unserviceable" saying it had a bad frame. I couldn't find a problem other then a loose bolt on a bracket holding the gray water tank in place. Tightened it! So much for that.
To include new tires I have about $425 in it at this time. Again it was in much better shape than these but needed some TLC. It is the one I have posted a photo of in my registry. I have a couple things to do yet that will cost about $100 or so.
There are a fair number of Casitas around the bases at the recreation areas that they rent out. sooner or later they get sold and they get new units. Those units are sold locally. One would need to contact the people the run the "outdoor recreation" program at the base to find out if they are going to get rid of some and get new ones.
As far as the units at Barstow go it's a matter of whether or not one has the ability and time to do a complete renovation. There are camper salvage businesses where one can get used appliances. There is a big one in Arizona that might be reasonably close to get some. Also if you are a good scrounger you might be able to locate some old campers that you can get parts cheap. There's plenty of them sitting around the countryside. A lot of the appliances in Casitas are used in many other brands.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chita View Post
I was searching online and these campers would be salvage title . I think they would be good if someone could get them for less than $500 or so. Any thoughts?
If the US government is like most companies they write down the value of their equipment each year. To save money they often only carry damage or loss insurance on their very expensive pieces of equipment if they have it at all. Due to the age of the trailers in question it would be a good bet that they hold very little value on the governments books so its unlikely there would have been an insurance company payout so I would not expect there would be a salvage title involved. Could be wrong though

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #17

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
It never ceases to amaze me how poorly people take care of things that do not belong to them....
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
I'm gonna bid on all 4. Was planning on bidding quite a bit more than what I've seen discussed on here though. Barstow being so close to Vegas and LA I'll bet they go for at least $1500 to $2500 each.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'm gonna bid on all 4. Was planning on bidding quite a bit more than what I've seen discussed on here though. Barstow being so close to Vegas and LA I'll bet they go for at least $1500 to $2500 each.

Steve one or two of them appear to have some serious water damage which had me wondering if these really were trailers that had been used by service folks on vacation or if perhaps one or two of them had been used by the National guard or such during one of the southern hurricanes or if they where at a southern base that got flooded out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #20

Registry
Hmmm, I might set up an appt to go over and see them first. I figure if I could pick them up cheap enough I'd keep one as a spare give one to my daughter and clean up and turn a couple of the others for a "small profit". This way I could determine the best one or two and use the best parts off the others. We all know you can't touch a late 90's Casita for under $4500.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Biggest problem I had with the one I bought was getting it registered. I got a bill of sale but not a title. I had a devil of a time convincing DMV in CA that "yes, you can give me a title with the info I have".
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #22

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
They gave me a title for both of mine. Govliquidation knows to do that too. Insist on getting one. It might be supplied by the base people.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have bought several vehicles from govt surplus and had no problems at all getting them registered and titled in CA. But I use AAA whenever possible.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #24

Registry
I wonder if titling in Nevada would be any different?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #25

California
Here's a good place to start:
Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles Official Site - www.dmvnv.com

Or, if you are a AAA member, call or visit your local Auto Club office.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #26

California
Looking back at an earlier post, these Casita's will all need a lot more than a bit of "Cleaning Up" to become usable.

On several recent "rebuilds" that I did, my out of pocket expenses exceeded $3000 in short order, and that didn't include a new A/C unit, much less all the labor invested.

You can bet that these were heavily used by hundreds of different families for at least 10 years and then put out in the desert for who knows how long.

Anything that could be worn out, broken or missing will be.....

Not to discourage anyone, but putting these Casita's back on the road can be a long and expensive experience.

Again, these aren't for the faint of heart, bargain hunter or flipper.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #27

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I will second what Bob brought up about condition and repair costs. In addition to your bid you have to pay GL a 10% fee, you also have to pay state sales tax on the property (trailer) not the vehicle tax for the state. You have to also pay GL a fee for the govt. form to take to DVM to get the title. It usually takes 30 days to get the title form back from GL. The trailer usually has to be removed 10 days after the sale is complete. You will not have title paperwork in time to tow it home behind your vehicle so you will have to flat bed it home. Once you get it home then you get to pay your state DMV fees and local taxes. And don't forget the gas expense to get the trailer home.
Like Bob said anything that can be broke usually is and these trailers are at the age for axle and tire replacements. Just make sure you know what your costs are and what you are getting into before you bid on any item from GL.
Eddie
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #28

Registry
So, in your opinion how would you rate these trailers? Please rate them from best to worst. When I look at these I see the shell, axle, glass, basic interior intact and not missing major body panels. Tires, fridge, AC, awnings are obviously gone. Rat fur is dirty on the first two. Some of them the cushions and dinette table are toast. Without seeing them up close and "smelling" them it is difficult to determine one is better over the others. The dirty ones I'm thinking someone left the windows/vents open and they filled with dust.