THEY'RE BACK. Government surplus sales - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
No One can accurately rate these trailers without an onsite inspection.

What with what looks like a good interior could need a new axle and be full of mice, and vise-versa..... Either a bidder has to inspect themselvs or it's a crap shoot when bidding.

But resist the temptation to bid on more than you can afford, you could wind up with all four.....

And as they area all stored in the desert, even the smallest opening, like where the refrigerators were all removed, will let in dust and wind blown sand and dirt.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #30

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Bob, others. This will be an active on line auction. You don't do a one time bid. You will have to be sitting in front of your computer as the auction ends to increase your bid if others outbid you. Pretty much like Ebay but the auction won't end until the bidding stops. In other words if someone outbids you in the last seconds it will extend the closing time another few minutes. I've seen bidding go on for nearly an hour after "official" closing. You will be bidding on each trailer separately.
I notice a couple people here have mentioned that they may go check them out. It would be nice if they would post some info as to what they found out and take your own camera and post photos. (hint, hint)
I'm too far away to consider trying and don't have the time to take on a project of that magnitude so it will just fun to watch the show. I've seen others here take on projects that look about as bad to start so I would bet someone here can handle them.
I too think it is despicable that these units were treated so badly. Knowing that our tax dollars paid for them just makes it worse!
I haven't seen much comment on the East Coast ones. Anybody considering them? I wonder how they fared in the big storm?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #31

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
As for having to flatbed it out rather than tow due to title issues, I was once told by two states that you just need to stop by the DMV and get a "Drive Out" tag to put on the back. The FL lady told me they weren't concerned with vehicles LEAVING the state, they were concerned with revenue from those coming or staying IN the state. Made sense to me.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In CA you can get either a one-day or a one-trip permit to move an unregistered trailer from one place to another. Here is a link to the one-trip permit, but it basically expires at the state line if you are leaving the state. See near the bottom for a NOTE about moving a trailer.
25.010 One Trip Permit (CVC 4003)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #33

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Trailer condition

These trailers have been in rental service for about 10 years. They are usually rented to young sailors, soldiers and airman and their families who can't afford to buy a trailer. Unlike most of our trailers that get used more than likely less 10 % of the time these trailers are be used constantly for about 9 months out of the year. The trailers are usually inspected prior to and return from use for condition and safety items.
Operations & maintenance funding in the services is very limited. To keep these trailers operational you usually take one trailer out of service and use the parts to keep you other trailers in the fleet going, thats where most of the missing parts go. As time goes on more trailers are used for parts. Once repair cost meets a magic percentage of replacement cost the trailer or if the fleet is replaced with newer trailers, the trailers are then turned into supply for disposition. Once they go into the supply system all maintenance stops and the trailers are placed into open storage in a secure area. It can take over a year before the trailers are put up for auction because of the disposition process.
These trailers see heavy usage but most of the neglect and abuse is from the disposition process taking so long. Did the govt. get their money worth? Did the young families get to experience and to enjoy camping? I say yes to both questions.
If the rental car companies replaced their cars every ten years and were given limited maintenance funds, what condition do you think those cars would be in. I am not trying to justify the trailers condition, I'm just trying to simply discribe the system. It is what it is.
Eddie
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #34

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I missed the watching sale in Maryland. Does anyone know what they went for?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I missed the watching sale in Maryland. Does anyone know what they went for?
I wish! I'm all signed up and ready to go on the Barstow sale.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #36

Registry
These might be of interest to people here also.

Search Results - Government Liquidation
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #37

Name: Jose
Trailer: Scamp 13' 77 (:
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel

I wish! I'm all signed up and ready to go on the Barstow sale.

If you get all 4, maybe you could sell one to me? I'm in Las Vegas too...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #38

Registry
I'm scaling back my plans a little bit. I'm shooting for one for sure and my gal's dad may also go for one. I have a friend up in Oregon who is bidding on one. Plus I still have my Scamp 19' that I'm getting ready to rebuild, just got the solar panel today. I would love to go for all 4 but until I get some other projects done I better stick with one at a time and just "help" with the others. I'll probably shoot for the first one and the last one. The 3rd one seems to have some fiberglass damage on the outside so should be the cheapest.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #39

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel
I'm scaling back my plans a little bit. I'm shooting for one for sure and my gal's dad may also go for one. I have a friend up in Oregon who is bidding on one. Plus I still have my Scamp 19' that I'm getting ready to rebuild, just got the solar panel today. I would love to go for all 4 but until I get some other projects done I better stick with one at a time and just "help" with the others. I'll probably shoot for the first one and the last one. The 3rd one seems to have some fiberglass damage on the outside so should be the cheapest.

Ok, best of luck!!!
Did you have time to see them in person? Did you figure out if they will give you a clean title, or a salvage/bill of sale? Are you getting a flat bed to get it home? Rooting for you ,
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #40

Nevada
I'm sorry for so many question. I was looking online, and pretty much no one has good things to say about this auctions . I wish I could get one, but I'm a chicken, lol.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #41

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
I think they used them for target practice, at least the insides!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #42

Registry
You can't go into something like this with very high expectations. They are trashed but fixable if you can do the work. You are getting a Casita in name only. The shell and frame are there, 2 of them have titles, 2 of them don't. Some states are easier to obtain titles than others. They need tires, maybe axles. They need interior work, maybe electronics and plumbing. The most expensive parts, the fridges and air conditioners are gone. It all depends on what someone wants to do.