THEY'RE BACK. Government surplus sales - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
THEY'RE BACK. Government surplus sales

The Casitas are back on Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation.
There are also some at Barstow, Ca. They are in terrible shape. Serious project units. the Ones in Maryland are there also. Sales start next month.

Search Results - Government Liquidation

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Wow, Definitely throwing in some bids on those in Barstow. They are a bit trashed and no fridges. Have any idea what these usually go for?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #3

North Dakota
Registry
In that condition you might just get a real bargain. Of course now with so many that are willing to do restoration that are on this site it might cause some serious bidding. The good part is that there is more than one.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

North Dakota
Registry
You will also notice that they are 16' units not 17. I emailed them and told them. They look like they have had some serious water problems. It's disgusting to see that someone treated them so badly. What really makes me mad is that our tax dollars paid for them.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
These were used as loaners from the PX to service members. They are normally stripped models. I got my Scamp that way. Water tank was removed/sheet of masonite where the ice box would have been/propane disconnected/brakes stripped out. But mine was still pretty solid. It didn't take much to get mine ready to use. I replaced the curtains(pretty stained)and cleaned the cushions(will replace in the future). What was bad was that the bearings hadn't been repacked probably since new-had to scrape the old grease out.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Dennis, If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to pay for the one you got? I'm trying to get a ball park idea for what they go for. I'd like to get a 2nd camper as a loaner for when we have kids or in-laws come visit.

Also I noticed they all had the refrigerators removed, what is up with that? I wonder if they sell them in a separate auction?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The Casitas at Barstow are all about 15 years old and all look like they have been openly exposed to the high desert elements for at least a few of those years. As such, they certainly are not for the faint of heart to restore. There is one that looks like a patch over major coach damage on the right front corner.

There used to be a surplus depot near me at March AFB. When I once asked about "missing" parts, I was told that "Bandits" (whoever they are) would strip off easily sold parts while items waited to be declared surplus. The "Bandits" would scout out items, remove every possible screw, wire and connection over a period of days or weeks and, suddenly, stuff disappears.

In short, RV refrigerators are easy to sell on Craigs list and they cannot easily be traced.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Looks like they are missing the AC as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Steve: I had to buy mine through a reseller. He had 3 Skamps. Mine is a '98. It came from the factory without AC or refrigerator(there was a metal coleman cooler with each trailer. I got the best of the 3 and am very happy with it. Cost was $2900, which I thought was a bargain. Some elbow grease and a few $$ and it's up and running.

Mine was used at the Camp Pendleton Marine Base.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Name: Jose
Trailer: Scamp 13' 77 (:
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel
Wow, Definitely throwing in some bids on those in Barstow. They are a bit trashed and no fridges. Have any idea what these usually go for?

Can anyone bid, or need a special license?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

North Dakota
Registry
Anyone can bid. You need to sign up with Govliquidation and get an account. Keep in mind there is a 10% sellers fee to them on all sales on top of the winning bid.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #12

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse
Anyone can bid. You need to sign up with Govliquidation and get an account. Keep in mind there is a 10% sellers fee to them on all sales on top of the winning bid.

I was searching online and these campers would be salvage title . I think they would be good if someone could get them for less than $500 or so. Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #13

North Dakota
Registry
I have gotten 2 units now from base sales. I have also gotten vehicles and none of them ever had any mention of "salvage". My experience is that they issue a government title. No mention of salvage ever that I have seen. The buyer can then get it licensed and titled with the state. Wouldn't surprise me if they went that cheap. There are plenty of examples of units that have been stripped and rebuilt on this site. Can't imagine why these can't be too by the right person.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #14

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse
I have gotten 2 units now from base sales. I have also gotten vehicles and none of them ever had any mention of "salvage". My experience is that they issue a government title. No mention of salvage ever that I have seen. The buyer can then get it licensed and titled with the state. Wouldn't surprise me if they went that cheap. There are plenty of examples of units that have been stripped and rebuilt on this site. Can't imagine why these can't be too by the right person.

Hopefully these could get rebuild too. Question, if you don't mind ask. How much did you pay for those 2 units? Thanks,