Vancouver BC: 14' Bigfoot Shell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Vancouver BC: 14' Bigfoot Shell

Bigfoot Trailer (shell)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's Ba-a-a-a-c-k!

Am I a prophet, or what?????

And after only a couple of weeks, too!

Please see: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post346203

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It might be good bet its being parted out as they probable had some issues with registration due to its history...... changed hands more than once without any BC registration/transfer papers. Always a problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know what it takes to register, but at $750 it looks like a bargain.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thomas there was another thread a while ago when this trailer sold & the reasons for it not having the required registration/ownership transfer paper work was stated. Reading that story and knowing the rules here I was pretty sure that who ever purchased it wasnt going to get it registering to them any time soon..... we have a government register body who isnt known for making life easy..... suspect thats one of the big reasons its now being parted out by its new owner. Without BC registration/ownership transfer papers the trailer basically isnt going to get registered anywhere either within or outside of Canada.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You've got that right!
If there was any chance at all that the trailer was originally registered here in the States, I'd buy it myself!

Provided of course that the present-er- "possessor" would be willing to meet me with it on this side of the border...

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If there was any chance at all that the trailer was originally registered here in the States, I'd buy it myself! Francesca
Seriously? wasnt it you who wrote just yesterday "As if I'd give up my Trillium after all we've been through together!" My how fast we forget

Trust me the only way that trailer is going to make it across the border without registration/transfer papers, regardless of where it may or may not have been registered previously is if the you were to hold the fence up and the current possessor made a run for it or it goes across in pieces.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Registry
Not for me- for a fixer-upper for my daughter-in-law! That thing's got great possibilities, empty shell that it is.

The thing that puzzles me here is: the ad says "make a utility trailer" out of it, but that STILL doesn't solve the no-paperwork problem...I wonder if the person that has it now even tried to register it or is just doing a gut-and-dump.

I'm almost tempted to call and see just what the deal is...

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
The thing that puzzles me here is: the ad says "make a utility trailer" out of it, but that STILL doesn't solve the no-paperwork problem...I wonder if the person that has it now even tried to register it or is just doing a gut-and-dump.

I'm almost tempted to call and see just what the deal is...

Francesca
As I said in the other thread, the story is that it was abandoned in a storage lot for 7 years and the vendor bought it from the storage lot.

"make a utility trailer" It'd be doable, not really legal but could be done by taking in a bunch of receipts, including some for steel, and saying that you made a homebuilt trailer. It would be registered as a "ubilt", no, I didn't mispell it.

I built a car totally from scratch, jumped through a lot of hoops (how high sir) and did manage to get it registered and road legal. A ubilt trailer is much easier.

At that price, if I had some vacation land I'd be tempted to buy it, rehab the interior and use it as a cabin.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The awning looks nice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
The thing that puzzles me here is: the ad says "make a utility trailer" out of it,
I suspect Francesca that the seller may not be aware that rules regarding a u bilt got tightened up a lot as well in BC this past summer. The changes were made to make it more challenging to register stolen trailers. Trailers 1,400 kg gross vehicle weight or less must provide original support documents for all major component parts used to build the trailer. As a result I sure wouldnt put any bets on being able to register this trailer as a u bilt utility trailer either unless they did a major rebuild of the frame and axle etc. or they sell it as scrap to someone from another Province/state with slightly more relaxed rules regarding u bilt's.

As with all things one should never say never! It sure would be fun reading if someone did manage to get through all the hoops and got it registered either as a TT or a utility trailer and shared it with us.

As David pointed out it does have some nice parts. Due to the number of older Bigfoots in this neck of the woods the seller may well make more money if they just parting it out themselves.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As I said in the other thread, the story is that it was abandoned in a storage lot for 7 years and the vendor bought it from the storage lot.

Ron
Yeah- I remember!

So now it's either got ANOTHER "owner", or the guy that you talked to sold some innards and dropped the price.

Since you've got some background....how about calling and gettin' the skinny and reporting back?

Francesca
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Since you've got some background....how about calling and gettin' the skinny and reporting back?

Francesca
It's the same phone number so I guess potential buyers made a few inquiries and lost interest. I think the vendor just wants to get rid of it.

Carol, ICBC may have tightened up rules on ubilt trailers because I've built several over the years, camper, utility, boat and m/c and aside from having to pay tax on items that you didn't have a receipt showing tax paid, it was pretty much rubber stamped. For the car though, even though I had a binder full of receipts, including a lot of steel tube, I almost had to get a notarized declaration that the steel tube that I bought was used to build the car frame.

I think that a person, by being a bit devious, could get it registered but I'd hope that they wouldn't be dumb enough to post how they did it

I'm a little surprised that the trailer situation has come to this sad situation. I've friends who have followed the no registration etc. process, gotten notarized statements and ended up with a registered bike.

A friend owns hundreds of movie cars. I needed a part for my car and he pointed to a "US postal van" and said "help yourself, its going to the crusher". It had been imported to Canada for the movie filming and could not be registered in Canada. So maybe the trailer situation is similar to that. It's a shame though, it could have a really good deal for someone.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #14

Registry
It is due to the location of the trailer very possible that the party who purchased it did so with the full intent of taking the parts off of it to rebuild another Bigfoot he owns - they are a common find in this area. The ad does say he has gutted it and only selling the shell......
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's the same phone number so I guess potential buyers made a few inquiries and lost interest. I think the vendor just wants to get rid of it.
Ron
That's what I thought might have happened.

The crazy thing to me is:
Didn't someone (you?) find out that he'd gotten it from someone who owned a storage yard where it was abandoned? Surely whatever mechanisms whereby tow companies etc. gain legal possession/rights to sell vehicles left on their lots would be available to any storage company...

Francesca

Tags
bigfoot