would like to see a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Beverly
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
would like to see a 13' Scamp

We are looking for a camper that be towed by our 4 cylinder Jeep or Nissan Rouge.
Would anyone living in northern Ohio have a 13' Scamp that you would be willing to show us? We would like to see one in person to be sure that it is something that we would want to order. It looks great on line but seeing one in person would be better.

We would be interested in buying used too, if anyone has one they can part with.

Thanks Jeff and Bev
Beverly Korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
California
Consider visiting a rally...

Bev,

It appears there is a rally of fiberglass trailers Sept 21-25 at Caesar Creek State Park in SW Ohio. The event is listed on the Rally page of this forum. My wife and I went to Scamp Camp West in CA and saw many Scamps, Casitas and even some Escapes. Everyone was very friendly and informative! We have ordered a Casita.

Alternatively, if you call the Scamp factory they may be able to connect you with Scamp owners in your area who would be willing to show you their trailers, that is how Casita does it.

Good luck
Jim
Jamesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I second contacting Scamp for a referral, but if that doesn't work, you are more than welcome to come up to Michigan's thumb to look at mine. I'm about two or two and a half hours north of Toledo, depending on Detroit traffic. It's a 1999, so pre-fire. New ones would have more head room than mine does, but most other dimensions would be the same. Mine does not have a shower, but does have the bathroom, so you can see what those dimensions are as well.

Quite sure Scamp could hook you up with someone closer, but if not...
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri

Jeff & Bev,

Besides the post-fire additional interior head room, another significant change has been the recent availability of a 54" bed (versus the previous 44" wide bed) in the standard molded fiberglass Scamp13 trailers.

Most folks seem to like the larger bed, but it does create a substantial change in the interior layout.

I guess we got one of the earlier "larger bed" Scamp13 trailers and we like it, but you really need to be aware of the changes in interior cabinetry and storage space. Pictures of our trailer can be found in the later segments of this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65096

Good luck with your search! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Illinois
Scamp 13

Bev,
Lilly and I have a 2016 Scamp 13 Std. wit a big bed. You are welcome to drive to central Illinois to inspect. And no, it is not for sale.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Scott
Ohio
We are in central Ohio, and just picked up our brand new 13' Scamp last month, you are more than welcome to look at ours.
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #7

Ohio
tee-hee on the for sale.." What type of tow vehicle do you use - a not-inconsequential issue for us?...
Old 06-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #8

Ohio
Bev's husband here...I read "pre-fire" and "post fire." However, I do not understand what that implies except that it likely refers to an incident at the factory... Also, the kind of tow vehicle being employed is essential... I drive a 2015 Jeep Patriot and Bev, a 2012 low-milage Nissan Rouge. Each is four cylinder though I do regularly tow a utility trailer that carries an ATV... And I spoke with my mechanic who said he can install a transmission cooling device for around $225...
Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Yes. A factory fire in 2006 meant Scamp had to create new molds. They took the opportunity to increase the height of the 13' model a few inches, increasing interior headroom from 5'10" to about 6'2". The 16' model was already taller. 2007 and newer are taller "post-fire" units.

Check the tow ratings in your owner's manuals. Expect a basic, lightly optioned, loaded-for-camping Scamp 13 bunk model to weigh 1500-1800 pounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Jeff & Bev,

When we got our Scamp13, our best tow vehicle was a 2011 Honda CRV that Honda only rated for 1500 lbs tow weight (we did add a transmission cooler)

We did not order a top-mounted AC unit, a furnace, an awning, or a front bathroom (requiring bath fixtures, black water tank, hot water heater, etc.)

We did order the refrigerator, an electric demand-pump for the sink fresh water, extra lights, extra 110v/12v power outlets, a Fantastic Fan, all of the overhead cabinets we could get (for clothes), a gray water tank (for national park restrictions), the screen door, a backsplash, and a porta-potty.

With the minimal weight configuration, the Honda CRV was "adequate". We later bought a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD that we have hoped could tow the next larger size trailer.

We've had the 13 foot Scamp for almost 3 years and have had few regrets about our choice of options.

As always, YMMV! ��

Hope that helps some.

Good luck with your search and decisions! ��

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
We are in central Ohio, and just picked up our brand new 13' Scamp last month, you are more than welcome to look at ours.
Scott,
Jeff & I would like to take you up on your offer to see your 13' Scamp. How may we contact you?
Jeff and Bev

Tags
scamp