06' Forester - The wires go WHERE? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post

I connected the black power line for the controller directly to the battery. It seems this will potentially drain the battery out when parked. Or will the controller go into sleep mode when the vehicle is not running? Or is the draw on a parked vehicle so low as to be insignificant?

I'm a bit perplexed by the "sleep mode/draw on parked vehicle" language...

Which "black power line" are we talking about- for the brake controller itself, or for 12v power to the trailer battery?

If the latter:
Best practice is to install an inline device like a solenoid that only allows power to flow to the tow when the tug's engine is running.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
My wiring project is almost there. Three questions:

Raz made the suggestion to use the rubber plug where the clutch would go on a stick shuift. This turned out to be an excellent way to run the wiring through the fire wall. The plug itself is about 2" across. I put a hole in the rubber plug and put the wiring through the hole. The question now: what is the best way to seal things up? Because of the added weight, the plug tends to come out of the hole. Also, there is a hole in the plug itself which probably could/should be sealed up. Suggestions?
Can you use good old butyl putty? Or maybe butyl caulk (sold as gutter sealer).

Quote:
I have yet to decide how to run my backup wiring. I have run a fused wire from the battery back to the trailer connector. The wire is 12 gauge and fused at the battery. I am considering adding a relay in parallel with the backup lights to turn the trailer backup light line. Thoughts?
You could if the trailer backup lights draw a lot of current. Otherwise you could probably just tap into the TV back up lights directly to power the trailer B/U lights.

Quote:
I connected the black power line for the controller directly to the battery. It seems this will potentially drain the battery out when parked. Or will the controller go into sleep mode when the vehicle is not running? Or is the draw on a parked vehicle so low as to be insignificant?
I have the Tekonsha Primus and it seems to have a very low draw when the vehicle is not running. Wiring it direct is the manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
My wiring project is almost there. Three questions:

Raz made the suggestion to use the rubber plug where the clutch would go on a stick shuift. This turned out to be an excellent way to run the wiring through the fire wall. The plug itself is about 2" across. I put a hole in the rubber plug and put the wiring through the hole. The question now: what is the best way to seal things up? Because of the added weight, the plug tends to come out of the hole. Also, there is a hole in the plug itself which probably could/should be sealed up. Suggestions?
Don't tell anyone but I sealed the hole in the rear plug under the spare with silicone.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Don't tell anyone but I sealed the hole in the rear plug under the spare with silicone.
Your secret is safe with us!

But perhaps not safe from some of us...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #25

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I was pondering sealing the holes in the plugs with goop. Goop is not officially a sealer, but if you don't tell anyone I won't tell anyone. The only challenge is that in current winter temperatures, I'm not sure if it will cure properly.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I plunged a hole in the bottom of a plastic bucket with goop. I think all the different advertised tubes of goop are the same formula. Goop is amazing.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think that goop, silicon caulk, even acrylic caulk would work.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Come to think of it maybe it was Goop I used??? I know it was a sticky clear rubbery goo.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #29

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I plunged a hole in the bottom of a plastic bucket with goop. I think all the different advertised tubes of goop are the same formula. Goop is amazing.
Darwin, I have wondered the same thing. My guess is that there may be one or two adatives that differentiate one from the next. The Marine version claims to be uv resistant, so there is probably a uv adative in that one, for example. Goop seems to do well anywhere with the exception of repairs involving moderate or greater heat. Heat seems to make it break down and become goey.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote