09 RAV4 unstable - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #15

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I had a Ford Focus wagon, which coincidentally took the exact same size tires as our Chrysler PT Cruiser. When we changed out the Cruiser's tires, we upped the size 1". The Cruiser handled beautifully.
So we also put the larger size tires on my Focus wagon and holy smokes, it was like driving on ice, with worn out shocks. The car dipped and wove if I made any sudden steering wheel turns. The tire place didn't believe me until I took them for a drive in it, after which they immediately changed me back to the exact recommended tires and all my instability issues went away. That little Focus wagon had no tolerance for anything other than the factory spec'd tires.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hitch weight 150 lbs when propane is full. Drives the same when not towing.
BTW the 150lbs on the hitch may be under 10% of your total trailer weight. On the Trailer Weights in The Real World thread the 13' Scamps and Bolers weighed in between 1620 lbs & 2200 lbs loaded for camping. Casita 13's come in at even more.

A trailer will be more prone to sway with such a light tongue.

Re the vehicles past history - sometimes it takes nothing more than hitting a big pot hole to knock it out of alignment.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Going back to square #1, as this is a trailer site, my 1st concern is with your tongue weight. You HAVE to know that as well as your trailers weight to safely tow at any speed.

If your hitch doesn't drop any at all I suspect that you have to much weight in the back 1/2 of the trailer and the hitch is light, a very bad thing.

So, to speak to that problem, get out a scale and weigh measure hitch and with the trailer loaded, get a total axle load weight as well. If the tongue weight is not 10% or more of the axle load weight that will lead to instability.

You need to know your actual weight, mfg's shipping weight is usually up to 500 lbs under what you will weigh packed and ready to go.

Let us know what you find "As Loaded".
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Now that I think back, my '96 Windstar seemed to wander a lot at highway speed. Wind gusts would send it off course. I was constantly correcting course with the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealership and they said they made an adjustment to the rack and pinion (steering). After that it was much better.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Ideally I would suggest getting the Rav to a good independent shop. I believe you have an issue with your vehicle and the folks that have been looking at it so far are not finding the problem.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Ha ha been there done that with a pot hole for sure! Alignment was checked and at low speed she drives straight as a pin. Never had sway until this vehicle. Truck scales put trailer at 1520 lbs this trip. Nothing but paper and plastic products, clothes, 3 bath towels, an electric skillet. I didn't bring food, water or firewood this trip. Pillows and blankets were in Rav.

QUOTE=Carol H;512786]BTW the 150lbs on the hitch may be under 10% of your total trailer weight. On the Trailer Weights in The Real World thread the 13' Scamps and Bolers weighed in between 1620 lbs & 2200 lbs loaded for camping. Casita 13's come in at even more.

A trailer will be more prone to sway with such a light tongue.

Re the vehicles past history - sometimes it takes nothing more than hitting a big pot hole to knock it out of alignment.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Truck scales put trailer at 1520 lbs this trip. Nothing but paper and plastic products, clothes, 3 bath towels, an electric skillet.
Was that weight while it was still hitched to the vehicle. If so don't forget to add in the tongue weight to get your Total weight which is what the tongue weight of 10% should be based on.

I agree with the others though that as you have the issues with the vehicle when not towing as well as towing I would take it to an independent garage to have it checked out or another dealer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita 17 Ft SD
California
I agree that shocks and struts can change the entire ride of a vehicle once worn down to a certain point, I would check on what heavy duty shocks/struts are available for that rig.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #23

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thasks for all the excellent advice! I will use it to try and find a solution or else trade. Glad to hear none of yall have experienced this with your Ravs.

Yes the trailer was unhitched when weighed not by choice but bc the scales couldn't pick it up otherwise.CAT scales can read a min of 1500 lbs at least that's what it was at that truck stop.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #24

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Currently shopping
New Jersey
Rav4

Check with Toyota for a recall. I had an 07 with a rear suspension recall-don't recall which parts or which years were affected. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #25

Name: Grant
Trailer: Escape 17b 2006
British Columbia
Rav 4 to Toyota Venza

I traded my 4 cylinder Rav for the Toyota Venza and hav'nt looked back. Turned out that the claimed 900 lb boler was really over 2000 lbs with a 250 lb tounge weight. Even the Venza was a little floaty feeling with the boler. I bought an escape and it came with a light duty rease equilizer hitch rated for 3500 lbs.. Hugh difference feels and handles much better.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
We're not talking about a 4 cylinder RAV.
The vehicle in question is a RAV4 V6 and if properly equipped is rated to tow 3,500 lbs. with max 350 tongue weight.
I have no issues towing my 17 foot Escape.

BTW, it doesn't matter what your hitch is rated for, the critical spec is what the vehicle it rated to tow. My WDH is rated 14,000 #. The hitch receiver is rated 4,000 # and the vehicle is rated 3,500 # so 3,500 is the limit.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
I traded my 4 cylinder Rav for the Toyota Venza and hav'nt looked back. Turned out that the claimed 900 lb boler was really over 2000 lbs with a 250 lb tounge weight. Even the Venza was a little floaty feeling with the boler. I bought an escape and it came with a light duty rease equilizer hitch rated for 3500 lbs.. Hugh difference feels and handles much better.
So true.... The right connection makes all the difference. Doesn't it make one wonder how the Rav4 would have handled with that light duty Reese WDH?

Even so I know how nice those Venza's drive and no doubt you are very happy with your new combo. Any pics Grant?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

BTW, it doesn't matter what your hitch is rated for, the critical spec is what the vehicle it rated to tow. My WDH is rated 14,000 #. The hitch receiver is rated 4,000 # and the vehicle is rated 3,500 # so 3,500 is the limit.
Maybe, maybe not......... oh forget it, the explanation can get complicated and the gal here is ringing the dinner bell. We'll chat another time.