09 RAV4 unstable - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #99
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Sumitomo, I'm not at all familiar with them. You have me curious, I'll have to look them up. Thanks.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #100
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Ok I asked Hubby what came off the Rav and they were definately Continentals and is pretty sure it was their Cross Contact LX model. "Contact" was definately in the name just wasnt sure about the "Cross" part of it. They look to have since been discontinued (were put on 3 yrs ago) so the chances of somebody getting a hold of a set unless used is probably pretty slim. But anyway at least if suddenly your vehicle starts acting out of character after replacing the tires thats the first thing I'd check. When I bought the vehicle the tires had already been installed so it never occured to me that could be the issue and it didnt show up in a short test drive around the block.

Mike, we've had Sumitomos in the past on both sports cars, vans and SUVs and have had excellent luck with them.

Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #101
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD

I put a set of those Cross Cantact LX's on my Silverado 4x4 extended cab truck and they are 1000% better then the Bridgstones that were on there before. I've driven 8k miles on them in 2 months in rain, snow, ice and they are perfect on my truck.
Good tires on the wrong vehicle.

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #102
Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 16 Side dinette
Stiffer ride

Doug you got me thinking,I believe my Rav 4 might have been used as a ride share van, anyhow the rear springs have shown signs of weakening causing some drag on driveway exists. Sooo I put in a spring rubber in each side and the drag is gone. These are circular rubber coils that thread around the coil of the spring itself.
Frank F
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #103
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Ya the reviews for the Cross Contacts were really good online so I figured it was just not a good match to my Rav for some reason. Cant get over the difference in how she handles now! I feel like I got a new vehicle LOL.
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #104
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
09 RAV4 unstable

I suspect the reason is the V6. Lots of power in a front-drive biased vehicle generates torque steer and requires a more performance-oriented tire. The raised center of gravity and relatively soft suspension of most Toyotas probably exacerbate the effect of torque steer. I'll bet the Cross Contacts do just fine on the regular 4 cylinder version in the hands of a conservative driver.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #105
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
First time I stomped on the gas in a curve I scared myself half to death. RAV4 with V6 scoots. But, I really appreciate it for merging from a short on-ramp with the trailer in tow.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote