13 or 14 tires?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Please do - pictures of the clearance would be fantastic.

Scamp was convinced it couldn't possibly work on the 13' with the different axle and lower ground clearance than the 16'.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
The tire guys say that they will work without any mods.
We'll all hope for the best... the tire guy understand how torsion axles work... right? Up and back, not just up and down....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #23

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
given the same type of tire and load rating etc, a bigger tire will normally run cooler and the bearings will spin slower...think of a roller skate wheel on your trailer and how fast it would be spinning at highway speeds...the other extreme would be look how slow the tractor trailer wheels seem as they roll by at 70mph....so less friction and slower speeds...unless you select smaller sidewalls vs original (70series vs 60 say) you'll raise the trailer slightly also.
Our recently purchased Boler 1300 cannot (according to the garage) accommodate 14" tires due to the size of the wheel wells. We had new radial trailer tires installed and the packing redone for our upcoming trip to Texas (abt 2440 mi each way). Is there anything we should be watching for in terms of the tires during our trip? Thanks!
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tire watching

My process is to check air pressure frequently. Probably every other week I measure the tires when on the road.

Every time we stop I walk around and touch each tire on the trailer and tow vehicle, looking for anything out of the ordinary in tread temperature or pressure. Though we carry a pressure gauge and temperature gauge in the car I do not use these unless my hand detects an issue.

As well I check the trailer bearings for temperature each time we stop, simply touching the bearing housing.

We also check our trailer lights every morning we travel. A benefit of this is that it involves two people and results in us both checking the hitch lock (and door lock since we had the door open once on an Interstate.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #25

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
My process is to check air pressure frequently. Probably every other week I measure the tires when on the road.

Every time we stop I walk around and touch each tire on the trailer and tow vehicle, looking for anything out of the ordinary in tread temperature or pressure. Though we carry a pressure gauge and temperature gauge in the car I do not use these unless my hand detects an issue.

As well I check the trailer bearings for temperature each time we stop, simply touching the bearing housing.

We also check our trailer lights every morning we travel. A benefit of this is that it involves two people and results in us both checking the hitch lock (and door lock since we had the door open once on an Interstate.)
Thank you I have added these to my checklist for our trip from Ontario to Brownsville, Texas (we leave tomorrow). Read all of your posts as well as those of a couple of the other moderators in hopes we can avoid some of the newbie challenges. It's a great website! The amount of information is a bit overwhelming but it's wonderful to have it at my fingertips. Kudos to the webmaster, moderators, and all the contributors.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires