13 or 16 ft standard scamp which to buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbeth View Post
2000 lbs/3200lbs? Really? That seems very low. More like a car than a pickup. I guess that's the 1/2 ton thing my hubby talks about, a truck on a car chassis.

Basically you have to decide what kind of camping you do and what you expect out of the trailer. I'm not real of fond of the 13 fter with the front bath but know someone who has one and loves it. My biggest gripe is the 48" wide beds in most trailers. I also know that a lightly packed 16 footer can weigh about the same as a loaded 13fter. Depends on what you think you need to take with you!
the 2000 lb , 3200 lb limits are from the chart in the owners manual. Same truck with 5.2 liter v8 has 2000lb, 8000 lb tow rating

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Steve, it sounds like you have added the things that would have been in the tow package. It seems very unlikely that a 16' Scamp with all your gear would exceed 3200 lbs. And the 16 will tow through the air just about the same as a 13 would, because they are pretty much the same profile. The extra length adds weight but not wind resistance. IMO your truck should do just fine with either trailer. A great many people here on the forum are happily and successfully towing these trailers with much less than your pickup.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I'd seriously consider a 17' Egg Camper. Egg Camper builders have gone out of their way to design this trailer for light weight towing. Plus this is wider and taller than wither the Casita or Scamp! You may be pleasantly surprised to find that your truck can easily tow this camper. The same for the Casita 17.

If your research narrows the your tow limit to the 16 or 13, I'd go with the 16 foot trailer.

If you look into a Scamp 16, be sure to bypass the deluxe model as it has lots of wood panels; more wood = more weight!

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Truck gvwr= 6400 lbs- gcwr= 7600 lbs. Trucks actual scale weight =4850 lbs 76oolbs - 4850lbs = 2750lbs if the trailer weighs 2600 lbs that only leaves 150 lbs for passengers, cargo, and fuel. I have tried to find the dry weight of this trailer with options as listed to see how much of the 2600 lbs is cargo and how much is trailer no luck i called scamp and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me. i was hoping if i packed super light i could swing 16 ft but i needto know dry weight
Scamp specs
13 ft. (1200 lbs dry) :
Scamp Travel Trailers: 13 Foot Specifications
16 ft. (1750 lb. dry:
Scamp Travel Trailers: 16 Foot Specifications
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Let's see what the experts...

Hmm. Trailer Life Tow Ratings for 1999

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/do...owingguide.pdf

show

Ram 1500 3.9 V-6 3,600d,g - Your Model

dRequires 3.5/3.9:1 axle ratio - Your tranny is in this range

gWith five-speed manual transmission. - Weird - no auto tranny.

Do you still have your owner's manual? What does it say?

If you get the 13', you may be able to stay under 2K#. We are.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #20

Quote:
I recently retired and Wife and I are looking to buy our first Scamp trailer .We have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 pickup 3.9 ltr. v6 ,automatic, 3.55 limited slip rear end and no tow pkg. Truck is rated 2000 lbs. no tow pkg , rated 3200 lbs with tow pkg , actual vehicle weight 4800 lbs. and rated 7600 GCVW. I have added tranny cooler ,rear overloads, changed,transmission fluid & filter ,flushed & filled cooling system and changed rear end and power steering fluid to synthetic (per owners manual) 13 ft will have front bath ,16 ft. will have side dinette with front bath .Both trailers will have electric brakes ,dual propane tanks, refer ,battery pack, furnace, water tanks,water heater, awning ,(NO AC) and roof fan . The reported weights for these trailers are all over the map, and according to Scamp I can tow either trailer with a golf cart. Which trailer (13ft. or 16ft.) can I safely tow around Minnesota ,Wisconsin and Michigan (Not many mountains) and not destroy my truck. I thought of buying new tow vehicle but truck is only used to tow, runs well, and it only has 60,000 miles on it. THANKS STEVE D
Got this off the Egg Camper web site:

HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGHT?

*************** 1900 POUNDS BEFORE OPTIONS

*************** 250 TONGUE WEIGHT
*************** 2500 GROSS

WHAT VEHICLE CAN TOW IT?

*************** CHECK YOUR VEHICLE MANUAL
Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #21

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger c h View Post
hmm. Trailer life tow ratings for 1999

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/do...owingguide.pdf

show

ram 1500 3.9 v-6 3,600d,g - your model

drequires 3.5/3.9:1 axle ratio - your tranny is in this range

gwith five-speed manual transmission. - weird - no auto tranny.

do you still have your owner's manual? What does it say?

if you get the 13', you may be able to stay under 2k#. We are.
owners manual says max trailer weight 3200 lbs with auto trans and 3.55 / 3.91 rear end manual says 3400 lbs with 5 speed manual and 3.55 / 3.91 rearend. Both are maximums with tow prep pkg. Per chrysler (i called dodge in detroit)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #22

Quote:
owners manual says max trailer weight 3200 lbs with auto trans and 3.55 / 3.91 rear end manual says 3400 lbs with 5 speed manual and 3.55 / 3.91 rearend. Both are maximums with tow prep pkg. Per chrysler (i called dodge in detroit)
I think that you need to separate the total weight of your truck from the front of the axis and the rear. So, passenger weight is infront of the axis. Anything you'll be carrying in the truck would be added to trailer weight. Your Dodge service manager should be able to tell you how much gross weight can be located behind the axil.

I'm not articulating this well, but I went through this when researching optimal trailer weight for my TV. My Chevrolet service guy printed out a detailed article on this subject off the Internet.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Steve, I have an 07 Toyota Tacoma with automatic transmision, 2.7 L 4 cyl. and a 3500 lb tow capacity.
I tow a 16 ft. Scamp with front bath, dual propane tanks and full water tank very comfortably.
Last Sept. I took a 4000 mile trip from Central California to Teton and Yellowstone NPs. I averaged 22 mph and the only time I could not go the speed limit was climbing the long grade up to Teton Pass.
My Scamp weighs a little over 2500 when loaded for travel.
I have had 13 ft Scamps and enjoy the 16 much more.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Steve, I have an 07 Toyota Tacoma with automatic transmision, 2.7 L 4 cyl. and a 3500 lb tow capacity.
I tow a 16 ft. Scamp with front bath, dual propane tanks and full water tank very comfortably.
Last Sept. I took a 4000 mile trip from Central California to Teton and Yellowstone NPs. I averaged 22 mph and the only time I could not go the speed limit was climbing the long grade up to Teton Pass.
My Scamp weighs a little over 2500 when loaded for travel.
I have had 13 ft Scamps and enjoy the 16 much more.
Perry,

Great to see another 4 cylinder tow vehicle with similar results to our Honda CRV. It seems most simply don't believe it's possible or safe.

I assume you meant 22 mpg, very similar to my 23 mpg.

I try to keep our weight down, we only have one propane tank and generally travel with a half full water tank unless we're going into a waterless realm. We do not carry a lot of extras like screen rooms, or coolers or the like. However since we're gone for 7 months at a time we do carry a little more in terms of clothes and food.

I've begun to study electric vehicles, not for any green reasons since they are no greener than gas powered vehicles, but with the present method of costing electricity, they offer the opportunity for lower costs per mile driven.

Save travels,

Norm
Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #25

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry j View Post
steve, i have an 07 toyota tacoma with automatic transmision, 2.7 l 4 cyl. And a 3500 lb tow capacity.
Last sept. I took a 4000 mile trip from central california to teton and yellowstone nps. I averaged 22 mph and the only time i could not go the speed limit was climbing the long grade up to teton pass.
My scamp weighs a little over 2500 when loaded for travel.
I have had 13 ft scamps and enjoy the 16 much more.
thanks for your comment your toyota tacoma has a curb weight of 3250 lbs. Per toyota my dodge has a curb weight of approx 4800 lbs (depends on amt. Gas in tank) thats a 1500 lb difference in curb weight. ( both engines produce approx same horsepower) dodge says i may be able to pull 16 ft. Put need to lighten truck and keep trailer weight down. How much gear food tools misc junk are you carrying? .if i knew dry weight of trailer and weight of water groceries clothes etc, i could probably adjust what i take along and make it work
thanks again steve
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Perry,

Great to see another 4 cylinder tow vehicle with similar results to our Honda CRV. It seems most simply don't believe it's possible or safe.

Save travels,

Norm
When I took my 4-cyl. Kia Sportage to the RV guy for brake wiring, he incredulously asked me, "What do you think you're going to tow with this thing???"
Answer: My 14 ft Trillium!
Kia says my max. is 2000 lb trailer (with brakes)/200 lb tongue, and that's good enough for me and my T4500.
20,000 tow miles later- I couldn't be happier!

Perry,

Looks like your capacity limits make the distribution of the weight more of a concern than the total. It sounds like either Scamp is well within your T.V.'s ability, but watch piling on the tongue weight. Propane bottles (40 lbs full), a battery(50 lb?) and any water storage up front will really add up fast! Not all of it will be concentrated at the ball, but a lot of it will.

Francesca
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
When I took my 4-cyl. Kia Sportage to the RV guy for brake wiring, he incredulously asked me, "What do you think you're going to tow with this thing???"
Answer: My 14 ft Trillium!
Kia says my max. is 2000 lb trailer (with brakes)/200 lb tongue, and that's good enough for me and my T4500.
20,000 tow miles later- I couldn't be happier!

Perry,

Looks like your capacity limits make the distribution of the weight more of a concern than the total. It sounds like either Scamp is well within your T.V.'s ability, but watch piling on the tongue weight. Propane bottles (40 lbs full), a battery(50 lb?) and any water storage up front will really add up fast! Not all of it will be concentrated at the ball, but a lot of it will.

Francesca
Interestingly the Kia Sportage is rated for nearly 3000#s in Europe, assuming you have a 2L engine.

I agree that how you load the trailer is important and I believe that's true no matter what you are towing with.

We've only had one sway situation when we put a generator on the rear bumper. I quickley moved the generator inside.

I do try to keep the hitch weight down because many light vehicles like ours, 3400#s empty and near 4000#s loaded, do not like too much weight on the ball. Fortunately the Honda has 60% of its weight on the front wheels, still we aim for 200-250#s of hitch weight.

For the record our CRV has 160HP and 162 ft-lbs of torque at 3600 RPM. Generally we run in the 2000-3000 RPM range.

Norm
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #28

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Steve, do you have a friend who owns a trailer? Maybe you could tow it around your area for a bit? Even a loaded cargo trailer weighing about 2,500 lbs. would give you good information. It wouldn't tell you anything about the wind resistance of a fiberglass, but it still would be an education. And I'm with the others: my guess is you can tow a 16 footer.

Tags
scamp