13' Scamp and Towing Mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
13' Scamp and Towing Mirrors

We've ordered a 13' Scamp and I was wondering about the need for towing mirrors.
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Would depend on what your towing it with?
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp is 80” wide. If the width of your tow vehicle (not including mirrors, which is how it’s measured in manufacturer specs) is less than that, towing mirror extensions are indicated. You might get away without if it’s just a few inches less because the Scamp is curved. Less than 75”, you’ll definitely need them.

At 78.5” our Honda Pilot is about the same width as the Scamp, so we don’t use extensions.

If you do decide you need extensions, look for the kind that attach with clamps, not straps.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Minnesota
OK - Tow vehicle is a 2103 VW Tiguan which is 71" wide. Looks like clamp-style towing mirrors would be a good idea. Thanks!
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
There is the legal requirement, which varies state to state, and there is your comfort factor. You can research the former online, and take some time to determine the latter.

I got McKesh mirrors before I bought my Scamp because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Over time, however, I have found that I am perfectly comfortable towing the Scamp without them. So I let a family member have them since their trailer was wider.

One thing I found was that I only saw a benefit to a starboard side mirror. So I next tried a single clamp on mirror.. and even though it got good reviews, it did not stay on unless I modified it, and never did work well. You can have it for free if your come by here.

If I were to use towing mirrors I would go back to the McKesh.. they are not cheap but are darn good. But I have gravitated to not using added mirrors at all (as long as its legal). I would not be in a hurry to decide unless the legal requirement gives you no choice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Pulling our 16' Scamp with our 08 Subaru Outback, we definitely needed a mirror extension. Pulling with our 04 Dodge Dakota, we prefer to have an extension. Pulling with our 17 Dodge Durango, we don't need one. Durango is the widest and the mirrors stick out far enough for me to be comfortable without an extension.

I did take a couple photos with our strap-on extension from our Dodge Dakota. Without the extension, I can see traffic behind me only in the lane to my left. With the extension I can also see a portion of the lane directly behind our camper which lets me know what is following me, or what is coming up fast and about to jump in the left lane to pass me.

The strap-on mirrors (I only use one on the drivers side) work well for me, although one set of straps got sun damaged after a couple years so I replaced that set and carry a spare set of straps now. I also figured out I was putting the strap on in a way that let the end of the strap flap in the breeze (as seen in the pictures), I now run it so it's tucked under instead of over the main strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror view.jpg   Mirror view2.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I tried a couple other brands of clamp-ons but found the Speedfix brand from Campmore to be far superior.
Maybe not absolutely necessary, but I very much appreciate the expanded vision to the rear.

Walt
Old 08-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Anita
Ohio
Good photo demonstration and I did the same thing with my '18 Outback. Small expense at Amazon and the straps do tighten securely without a lot of vibration.
AnitaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We have used the Milenco Grand Aero3 towing mirrors for a number of years with our scamp 13 (2017 Highlander TV) and have been very happy with them. They are very stable, easy to attach, and I would not feel comfortable towing without the added visibility they provide. Whatever brand you choose, I strongly recommend you add towing mirrors to your road safety arsenal.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is what the BC Motor Vehicle Act has to say about towing mirrors. Other provinces and states say pretty much the same thing with maybe different wording.

Picture is of my Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. I'm very happy with them and like that I can adjust them and the vehicle mirrors independently.

This is what the BC Motor Vehicle Act says:
(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36 feet ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200 feet ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
[en. B.C. Reg. 5/83, s. 2.]

Tag Milenco
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Glenn, your mirrors are very similar to my Speedfix, except mine have a hinge between the two clamps for greater flexibility in placement.

Walt
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I was 50-50 on using clampons with my Tacoma towing the Casita 16. With my F250 towing the Escape 21, they are totally unneccessary as the stock mirrors extend far enough to see behind the trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Play Mor II
Camera

I use a wireless back up camera mounted to the rear window via a suction cup. I think I spent about $40 setting it up. I was never able to find a suitable add on mirror that stayed on or didn't vibrate to the point of uselessness.
EarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlF View Post
I use a wireless back up camera mounted to the rear window via a suction cup. I think I spent about $40 setting it up. I was never able to find a suitable add on mirror that stayed on or didn't vibrate to the point of uselessness.
I do the same thing and it has worked out great for over a year now.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
I have a 2009Tiguan and am very happy with the Milenco mirrors- they clamp perfectly to the Tiguan outer mirror housing. There are two sizes of mirror heads available. I have the smaller of the two and find they are adequate.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlF View Post

But you are likely not complying with the Motor Vehicle act. It requires that you be able to see from 36 feet behind the driver to 200 feet, in the adjacent lanes. It's not concerned with what is immediately behind the trailer.

Tags
scamp