Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #29

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
When you're on snow / ice and you panic stop B sure to look left and right and wave at your brakeless trailer as it is passing you.
HEY! Carol H said there was no controversy!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
HEY! Carol H said there was no controversy!
Dang Floyd your right! Perhaps I should rephrase that to say there is no controversy as to whether or not the trailer should have brakes for those who choose to follow the laws of the state &/or provinces they tow in and follow their tow vehicle manufactures requirements/capacity or for those who wish to respect the safety of those whom they share the road.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dang Floyd your right! Perhaps I should rephrase that to say there is no controversy as to whether or not the trailer should have brakes for those who choose to follow the laws of the state &/or provinces they tow in and follow their tow vehicle manufactures requirements/capacity or for those who wish to respect the safety of those whom they share the road.
And the laws of physics.....
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #32

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
We have towed our Boler without brakes several times from Ontario, across the Prairies and through the BC mountains and back, with several different vehicles since 1994 without any problems. Although if I were to use smaller tugs [Than the v6,s or v8,s] then I might think seriously about adding brakes.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #33

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Most states don't require brakes on trailers under 1500#. I'm not against brakes. I am against fear mongering,and hyperbole.
I have brakes on my trailer eventhough they are only required in a few states under 3000LB.
There is no need to claim the force of law, where none exists, to support prudent advice.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #34

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Prudent advice to me is "It's better to be safe than sorry."

This also applies to Gas, Monoxide, Fire and Smoke detectors and heaters equipped with low oxygen shut down device . It may not be required however it is better safe than to be sorry.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #35

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Prudent advice to me is "It's better to be safe than sorry."

This also applies to Gas, Monoxide, Fire and Smoke detectors and heaters equipped with low oxygen shut down device . It may not be required however it is better safe than to be sorry.
Pretty much what I said, you choose what makes you comfy and calms your fears. Don't forget deadbolts, firearms and vicious dogs!
Caution... Prudence is precluded by the imposition of jurisprudence,You can hardly advocate both for the same act.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #36

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Hi all

I have a 13' Bigfoot, came with brakes. Driving up through Canada and Alaska, I disconnected the brakes when I was having a bent axle repair. It was a noticeable difference with and without brakes. I choose brakes!

Later Kenny
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #37

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Most states don't require brakes on trailers under 1500#. I'm not against brakes. I am against fear mongering,and hyperbole.
I have brakes on my trailer eventhough they are only required in a few states under 3000LB.
There is no need to claim the force of law, where none exists, to support prudent advice.
As you will note Floyd I did say the law in the state they live or tow I didn't say they were required in all states ;-)

The problem Floyd is that if you take a look at the Real World Weights and tell me how many 13' Scamps do you see weighing in at under 1500lbs??? Perhaps my eye sight is getting worse with my age. ;-))

Yup there may only be only about 7 states that would require brakes by law on a 13' Scamp based on real world weights & 9 states that would require brakes on a 13' Casita as all of them on the list weighed in at over 2000lbs. But even if you dont live in those states you should be aware of the law should you drive through one of them.

Some of the states & provinces with brake requirements under the 3000lb are:
California - 1500lbs
Idaho - 1500lbs
Nevada - 1500lbs
Tennessee- 1500lbs
North Carolina - 1000lbs
New York - 1000lbs
Ohio - 2000lbs
Utah - 2000lbs
Georgia - 1500lbs
Manitoba - 2000lbs
Yukon - 2000lbs
Alberta - 2000lbs or if trailer exceeds 50% of the vehicles weight.
Quebec - 3000lbs or if the trailer exceeds 50% of the vehicles weight.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #38

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
As you will note Floyd I did say the law in the state they live or tow I didn't say they were required in all states ;-)

The problem Floyd is that if you take a look at the Real World Weights and tell me how many 13' Scamps do you see weighing in at under 1500lbs??? Perhaps my eye sight is getting worse with my age. ;-))

Yup there may only be only about 7 states that would require brakes by law on a 13' Scamp based on real world weights & 9 states that would require brakes on a 13' Casita as all of them on the list weighed in at over 2000lbs. But even if you dont live in those states you should be aware of the law should you drive through one of them.

Some of the states & provinces with brake requirements under the 3000lb are:
California - 1500lbs
Idaho - 1500lbs
Nevada - 1500lbs
Tennessee- 1500lbs
North Carolina - 1000lbs
New York - 1000lbs
Ohio - 2000lbs
Utah - 2000lbs
Georgia - 1500lbs
Manitoba - 2000lbs
Yukon - 2000lbs
Alberta - 2000lbs or if trailer exceeds 50% of the vehicles weight.
Quebec - 3000lbs or if the trailer exceeds 50% of the vehicles weight.
As you will note I did say that the use of brakes was a matter of prudence, which I supported.
So let's drop the ruse, it's jurisprudence which you, and some others, advocate... not prudence.
As for me, I will opt for prudence and leave my brakes hooked-up without regard to which state I am in.
Some folks simply believe that a person should be allowed to do anything he pleases... as long as it's mandatory.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #39

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think the OP has left in favor of a conversion van.
I finally got to read this thread. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I think this discussion has run its course.

Closed Thread

Tags
brakes