13ft don't require brakes? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: becky
Trailer: currently shopping
now in new orleans, going to florida then michigan
13ft don't require brakes?

Hello all, I've been workng at learning all this info since 4am, but may go look at a trailer tomorrow so I'll ask a question that i could research if i had more time. Started trying to learn brakes, and read right off they might not be necessary? That would be one less thing to worry about right now. could put them on later? thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The smaller the tow vehicle the more you need brakes on the trailer. Most you can add brakes to later, depending on the spindle bracket.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by coats.becky View Post
Hello all, I've been workng at learning all this info since 4am, but may go look at a trailer tomorrow so I'll ask a question that i could research if i had more time. Started trying to learn brakes, and read right off they might not be necessary? That would be one less thing to worry about right now. could put them on later? thanks
I believe it would totally depend on your Tow Vehicle's specs and the State you are in (or travelling through).

In my case my Tow Vehicle can tow up to 2000 lbs without trailer brakes and 3300 with them.

What does the owner's manual for your TV state?

It's true that brakes can be added. Easy if the axle has the brake flanges already there, more costly otherwise.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

I want brakes for sure, it makes sense to have them, was happy to see i might be able to get away w/o for short time. I'm writing this down "spindle brackets".

I quess as far as state requlations, I will also need them. Currently a resident of new mexico, staying in New Orleans, then going to Florida, then to Traverse City Michigan where I grew up and my family are.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #5

I don't like having to ask what is probably ignorant questions asked a thousand times but... there are brakes on the trailer, my dad towed a pop up camper with the suburu outback 3.0 2004 so there is a trailer hitch, there is wiring in the back of the suburu. Could I get lucky and have the hitch and trailer fit, hook up the lights and go, to the closest suburu dealer? I will go read the past posts on this subject.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

ok I'm reading past posts and can see already this is a controversal issue.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Becky
To get "lucky" there would be a brake controller already in the car?
That is something you would clearly see,is there one?

If so then it is possible they would just work once connected and if not it should be simple for any mechanic to determine what you will need.

Towing briefly with no trailer brakes should be fine as long as you are careful and can develop a "feel" for the rig.

Ed
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

ok making a little progress No brake controller, thanks Ed. I am reading past posts and now worried about getting ripped off at the dealer. Where would you guys take this set up if you knew nothing?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If the trailer wiring on the Subaru has a flat connector with 4 wires, then you are NOT wired up to operate brakes on a trailer. Years ago when we left our son in New Mexico for a summer job, I was concerned about who to fix the car if he had any problems. I went into the local auto parts store and asked them who they would recommend. That method worked good. If possible ask that question in more than one place and compare answers, check out who they recommended, ask what they can do and what it will cost. Don't commit to anything until you feel comfortable with that shop. Sometimes the small repair shops are the best for quality work and price.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

When I need to find a new mechanic I go to the Car Talk Mechanics files. This is a simple 3 wire hookup.

Mechanics Files | Car Talk
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #11

I will do both of these excellant ideas never would have thought of them.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #12

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
U-Haul probably installs more hitches than anybody.
When I buy a new vehicle my first stop is U-haul.
I'm on my 5th or 6th U-Haul hitch with no problems at all.
They also have all the electrical adapters required for wiring a vehicle.

John
Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #13

I think the OP has left in favor of a conversion van.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
ok I'm reading past posts and can see already this is a controversal issue.
There should be no controversy on this topic
Its pretty simple:

1) Either your tow vehicle manufacture requires brakes on a trailer over x so many pounds or it doesn't. Check your manual.

2) Your state law or the states you are towing in may or may not require brakes on a trailer over x so many pounds - note most do have set requirements so check your state towing laws.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I don't like having to ask what is probably ignorant questions asked a thousand times but... there are brakes on the trailer, my dad towed a pop up camper with the suburu outback 3.0 2004 so there is a trailer hitch, there is wiring in the back of the suburu. Could I get lucky and have the hitch and trailer fit, hook up the lights and go, to the closest suburu dealer? I will go read the past posts on this subject.
Becky I tow with a Subaru and most dealers do not do the hitch install as Subaru does not make hitches so the dealers don't normally carry them in stock as so few of their cars sold actually get to tow. Most dealers will suggest you take it to a Uhaul or other hitch installer in your area. Yes the Subaru is pre wired for lights etc and the hitch installer will have the last bit needed (wire harness) for the hitch. Subaru is not prewired for the brakes - suspect it is a cost saving measure for them as the majority of Subaru's sold will never tow anything. Again any company that does hitch installs will be able to run that wire needed for brakes for you as well. The hitch installer will ask you the weight of the trailer you will be towing with (to make sure the hitch is of the right class) and the size of the hitch ball it needs - most common balls on our type of trailers is 1 7/8" or 2" - you may want to wait until you find the trailer of your dreams to see what it takes before making the ball purchase. Note you will also need to purchase a brake controller for the car once you have the wiring for the brakes in place.

BTW current Subaru's do require brakes on any trailer over 1000lbs . But check your manual as the rates changed over the years - my last one had a different weight rating than my current one.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think the OP has left in favor of a conversion van.
Ahem.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #17

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Subaru does not support 7-pin wiring needed for brakes.

When I was looking at which trailer to buy, I called my Subaru dealer to have them install a 7-pin towing harness. They told me that they don't have one and if I put in an after market one it would void my warrantee. So I was restricted to a trailer under 1400 lbs.

I bought a U-Haul CT13 and I love Mouse very much!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

When I was looking at which trailer to buy, I called my Subaru dealer to have them install a 7-pin towing harness. They told me that they don't have one and if I put in an after market one it would void my warrantee. So I was restricted to a trailer under 1400 lbs.

That is ironic. Towing a trailer of the same weight, but with no brakes is harder on the tow vehicle than towing with brakes.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Well you should probably have your trailer wiring done at an RV shop, not the Subaru dealer. As far as voiding the warranty, well I don't think anybody really wants to stand behind their warranty anyway.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Well you should probably have your trailer wiring done at an RV shop, not the Subaru dealer. As far as voiding the warranty, well I don't think anybody really wants to stand behind their warranty anyway.

I don't think they could void your warranty unless they had evidence of abuse. Using a brake controller is not abuse, just the opposite.
Closed Thread

Tags
brakes