14" Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2003, 01:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
14" Tires

To anybody else out there with a 17' Burro (I know they're rare): I'd like to add 14" tires to my Burro but I'm wondering about any inherent problems with this. Specifically I'd like to confirm that there's enough wheel well clearance to allow this.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #2

14" tires

David, I have a 1987 Burro and have just installed a new axle, brakes, hubs and bearings. The spindle on the old axle was worn about 1/4 inch through. I have heard that it is difficult for a welder to weld on a spindle squarely, so I opted for the whole package. It cost $700 but I feel safer. They lowered the axle about 1 1/2 inches when they did the job so I should have plenty of room for l4" tires, but I'm not sure why I should change from 13 inches. Why do you want to do it? By the way, remember, for each inch of tire diameter you are adding only 1/2 inch to the radius therefore only getting 1/2 inch closer to the wheel well.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:38 AM   #3

Remember also that each tire manufacturer uses different rulers to determine tire diameter. So when you buy a 33" tire, they're often only 32.5 or less inches. I just bought some 35" tires and they're only 34.8" in diameter, and that's brand new. Once they wear down some, well, you know.

The difference in clearance on my truck between 33" tires with 30% tread and 35" tires with 100% tread was closer to about 3 inches between the top of the tire and the body work on my truck.

So when switching from one manufacturer of 13" tire to another, make sure you measure so you can be aware of what the actual difference is.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #4

Me too.

David,

I would also like to put 14" wheels & tires on my 1985 17' Burro. I haven't measured anything yet, but I'm hoping they will fit without having to do the axle.

I think the 13" are undersized for the trailer. I've got the second largest 13" STs available, and they still look like training wheels. I think all of the new Casita/Scamp 16-17 footers come with 14", if not standard, then at least as an option.

I always like to use a little larger and wider wheel/tire combination whenever possible. More rubber on the ground is usually a good thing, a little extra clearance doesn't hurt either. I also like to try to match my trailer to tow vehicle so the rotation speed is as close to even as I can get. I don't know if that really matters in regards to mileage, wear and tear, etc, but my gut feeling is that it can only help.

Tags
tires