16 foot long kayaks on top of TV - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What you need to consider is the flex between the cab of the pickup and the bed. There can be considerable twisting action when traversing uneven terrain.
You really don't want to strap the bow of your boat to a rack on the cab, and the stern to a rack on pickup bed.
Much easier on the boat to have it on racks mounted entirely on the cab, or on the bed.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #42

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
BarbinBC Quote: Also want to make an attachment to the outside of the trailer to fasten my 2 burner propane stove. UnQuote

I have to ask why you want to attach it to the trailer? If it's portable you can move it out of the wind. And, you can move it away from the trailer so bears aren't attracted to the grease splatter.
With the back lid and wings I don't think much will get on to the trailer itself - I did this before with the pop-up. It will be under the awning and I'm planning on having some sort of windscreen too. Then I can cook in the rain! If it's good weather and there's a picnic table available I set up on that as there's more flat surfaces for everything. The portable table I have is 3' x 3' so don't like to take up all of that area with the stove.

Otherwise it's back to Tarpology 101 and related stresses!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #43

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
This what we used until Norma developed a bulged disk and couldn't get into either of them. Her injury prompted us to buy our first FGRV and retire the kayaks.
It was a great rig - queen size bed, but wouldn't help with the get out of the weather requirement.
The double on top is in "Get on the ferry without being over length or height mode". It would normally be extending over the front of the car a bit. (I dumped those goofy Hullivators after this trip).
Hope you get delivery of your new Escape in time for the NOG in April. I'll be there too, but without a boat, since I don't want to pay the over height on the ferry!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #44

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What you need to consider is the flex between the cab of the pickup and the bed. There can be considerable twisting action when traversing uneven terrain.
You really don't want to strap the bow of your boat to a rack on the cab, and the stern to a rack on pickup bed.
Much easier on the boat to have it on racks mounted entirely on the cab, or on the bed.
Hey Glenn, good thinking! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for that before I twisted my boats in half!

The problem is the length of the cab roof doesn't give me enough room to place two racks far enough apart to support the boats. In other words too much unsupported boat leftover at either end.

Any other ideas??
Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #45
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A 6" hitch extender will reduce his hitch capacity to a point below the weight of the Scamp.
Agree, a big no to the hitch extender.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #46
MC1

Ontario
Your Element has 10% more HP than our Nissan Van did and weighs 300lbs more than our current TV (car). Loaded ready for travel your Element would weigh 4,500lbs. It also has a very short rear overhang that helps make for stable towing. Thinking a 1,500lb, properly set up glass egg would be no problem for your Element. For sure other properties of the vehicle are up for consideration but it seems to have a lot going for it.
Attached Thumbnails
quest air canoe.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #47

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
The problem is the length of the cab roof doesn't give me enough room to place two racks far enough apart to support the boats. In other words too much unsupported boat leftover at either end.

Any other ideas??
Contractors use a one piece rack that sets on the bed rails and extends over the cab, for hauling ladders and long lumber. I have a restored vintage pickup, so didn't want to damage the new paint by bolting something to the bed sides, therefore my reason for building a rack that sets on the floor of the pickup bed. Also have one of those rubber bed mats in it. I'm kinda fussy with that truck.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #48

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
You could also do what the hang glider guys do. and install a rack out front of the truck like these.

How to build a hang glider rack - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding
Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #49
MC1

Ontario
Jason, I like that idea. I once started to build a similar rack that would bolt to the front of our car so it would support the front of our canoe. Never did get around to finishing it because with the 23 connected we were already at our payload spec.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Hope you get delivery of your new Escape in time for the NOG in April. I'll be there too, but without a boat, since I don't want to pay the over height on the ferry!
Barb are you going to go using Washington State ferry? It is cheaper! but if your going BC Ferries no need to worry about over height - they don't charge extra for that anymore. You do need to declare it as over height though when making a reservation just so they keep enough deck space.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #51

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sometimes towing capacity is related to braking capacity. Getting electric brakes on the trailer may help in that end. It would also allow you to more evenly distribute the weight between the tow vehicle and trailer. Your maximum weights may be the same even if the trailer is empty. Trailers tow better with a bit of a load properly balanced in them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #52

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Ugh, very long day and no new Scamp. Suffice it to say, that was very unexpected experience. Still in the market, thinking we will just order new and pick up in Minnesota this summer.

MC1, nice looking setup there! I agree, it is a good car if we don't exceed 1500. Problem is, after talking more with my SO, I think we might exceed 1500. :-) He is not as willing as I am to keep things out of the trailer, which surprises me. He would not worry about exceeding the tow capacity, and I would, which would cause friction, so better to just upgrade to towing capacity and not fight about it. I am going to start shopping for a tow vehicle that is also a good kayak vehicle. It's tough, since so many SUVs now have factory racks that can't support the weight of both of our sea kayaks (the RAV4, for example). Will maybe start a separate post on this once I do some research.

Roy, thanks for the advice, it makes good sense. We will definitely get electric brakes, no matter the capacity.
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #53
MC1

Ontario
VicCT.... Thnxs for the updates. Get a pickup if that is what you want or need but there are many other options that may be more interesting, economical, or suitable. Is there any other type of vehicle that you would be interested in?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go to: Roof Racks at Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack: bike, ski, kayak, cargo

If they don't have a solution, nobody does.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #55

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Oops MC1, I meant order a new Scamp and pick "it" up in Minnesota. Went to look at a used Scamp a few hours away and it did not work out. Sorry, so tired after the long ride today!

I am all over the place on tow vehicle at the moment, but I do know I don't want a pickup. I was actually just looking up the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. A minivan would be kinda weird, given I am now empty nesting, but it would be functional in so many ways. We could sleep in it on an overnight quick camp if we don't want to haul a trailer, and change in it after kayaking/canoeing. Could be both a good kayak car and tow vehicle. And the mpg is good for both of those. But I definitely need AWD or 4WD, being in the Northeast, which is rare in the Odyssey. And, well, how do I bring myself to buy a minivan? :-)

Also thinking RAV4 (if I can get a Thule or Yakima rack mounts on it instead of factory rack), or Highlander. Jeep Cherokee or Pathfinder would be great for all reasons except daily mpg and long-term reliability, which both suffer in those categories. I won't do Ford - - recent reviews are bad on reliability - - eco-boost is not living up to expectations, apparently. Open to other suggestions.
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
I was actually just looking up the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.
They are actually great vehicles for your intended purposes. The Mini Van stigma means nothing to me / couldn't care less about such things. We had two of them and still have one to date..... here.. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-62490-2.html They are very capable vehicles that the modest tow rating doesn't reflect.

Suv's of all shapes and sizes would work. Or something cool like this guy from SC who is getting his BMW station wagon set up for towing... Post 249 Show us your small Tow Vehicle set-up - Page 18 - Airstream Forums

For towing a small egg there are lots of possibilities. Enjoy the selection process.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #57

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
HI, Very interested in VicCT's thread as we are in similar kayak and trailer situation - just bought a Trillium 13 (1977) and am trying to pair it up with a good tow vehicle. We are lightweight campers with two 15 foot kayaks. We are looking at the Ford Escape and I am crossing my fingers and toes it will allow us to take our kayaks and trailer with no turning interference.

Forgive me if I missed a thread regarding the Escape but does anyone have opinions on this vehicle with kayaks and towing? We are looking at a 2013 2.0 Eco Boost model.

I am very anxious to hear from anyone who has an opinion - I value them all !!!

Thanks

Janice & Rick
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #58

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
HI, Very interested in VicCT's thread as we are in similar kayak and trailer situation - just bought a Trillium 13 (1977) and am trying to pair it up with a good tow vehicle. We are lightweight campers with two 15 foot kayaks. We are looking at the Ford Escape and I am crossing my fingers and toes it will allow us to take our kayaks and trailer with no turning interference.

Forgive me if I missed a thread regarding the Escape but does anyone have opinions on this vehicle with kayaks and towing? We are looking at a 2013 2.0 Eco Boost model.

Thanks

Janice & Rick
You can easily google the towing capacity of the Escape model you are deciding on. I have a 2011 Escape 6cyl (no tow package), and pull a UHaul. I won't try to claim that "I don't even feel it back there" because I can tell that I'm towing something but I'm within the towing max.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post

Thanks

Janice & Rick
Just make sure you weigh the kayaks and check the Escapes manual as to the roof rack weight capacity, I know for example my Outback could not take with the original manufactures racks the weight of two fiberglass sea kayaks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #60

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
J & R; under this very topic section is a thread by frank-A about wiring up his 2013 Ford Escape. I know it's fairly new to him and he may not have towed with it yet, but he will certainly have lots of info. Don't think he's a kayaker though. His thread title starts out "7 pin rv plug-"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote