16 foot long kayaks on top of TV - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #61

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For 2010, load limit on the Escape OEM roof rack was 100 pounds evenly distributed. That's typical for crossovers in this size range and is unlikely to have changed much. But if you'd like to look at the most current owner's manuals, just plug in the year/model at this Ford link.

Aftermarket racks sometimes are rated as having "more" capacity, but it's important to note that stability of the vehicle is also a factor in MFR determination of the roof's load limits. 100 pounds is likely a "safe" marker before center of gravity begins to be negatively affected, perhaps increasing the risk of rollover.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #62

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good advice from Carol about the rack weight limit. I think I'm pushing our CRV's rack limit with two 12 footers. Due to a mistake by me on choice of rack parts I had both kayaks along with the rack come off on I90. My rack that is, not the Honda OEM rack.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
In order to carry two single fiberglass sea kayaks on my Subaru I had to use a completely different complete Yakima rack system (gutter risers and cross bars) could not use an part of the factory rack mount at all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #64

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Aftermarket racks sometimes are rated as having "more" capacity, but it's important to note that stability of the vehicle is also a factor in MFR determination of the roof's load limits. 100 pounds is likely a "safe" marker before center of gravity begins to be negatively affected, perhaps increasing the risk of rollover.
A lot depends on where the risers of the aftermarket racks are attached.... the issue with many of the factory mounted racks is they are mounted onto the roof in from the edge which is part of why they are not rated to carry as much.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think one issue the OP wants addressed that hasn't been discussed is if you have two 15' kayaks side-by-side is there likely to be a problem with clearance to the trailer in a sharp turn.
I have only had a single 16 foot canoe on my rack and since it is centred on the rack, turns have no effect on it.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #66

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Yes, I think Glen is right, the issue JRTrillium seems to be most concerned about, and the one I am still concerned about, is the clearance of the long kayaks (I have a 15.5 foot and a 16.5 foot) off both sides of the back of the car. When we turn, will our kayaks punch a nice hole in the fiberglass trailer? As Glen notes, a single boat centered on the car will not have the same clearance problems as two long boats on either side of the car.

I am still not sure this will be a problem, and won't know until the first time I mount my kayaks on the rack this spring, and have an opportunity to measure the rear overhang with them mounted as far forward as possible. But I have thought about possible solutions. There are side rails you can have installed on your car that will allow the forward most cross rail to be more forward than the factory mount position. See the link below for the Yakima version:
Yakima Permanent Base Racks at Rack Attack

I think using something like this, and mounting the cross rails as far forward as possible, could gain us a foot or so.

Hope that helps!
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #67

Registry
Vicki if you are going to go as far taking of the factory rack off and replace it and if you have any concerns about the allowable roof weight I highly recommend looking at a Yakima rack base mount system that does not use the manufactures tracks on the roof. Talk to the guys at Rack Attach about it - I may be wrong but I think it will give you more weight allowance on the roof.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #68

Connecticut
Hi all, just posted on the newbie forum - - we finally found our Scamp 13, and right here in CT! It was towed to our friends' house Saturday, where it will live when we are not using it. I brought my Element over today and lined it up with the hitch and parked it at different angles, as if turning with the Scamp in tow, and took measurements, and I *think* we are going to be ok with kayak overhang. And, I am looking to get a better tow vehicle, but I think the same will be true for the Rav4. We will have to push the kayaks forward a little bit, but not enough that it would compromise their stability on the rack. The true test will be when we actually try it, of course. Kayaks are in storage and not fun to wrassle out, so that will wait a few weeks for warmer weather. I will report back then.

If I do need to buy myself some wiggle room, I will remove the roof rack of whatever I am driving and install the Yakima tracks, so that the front crossbar can be as far forward as possible. The other potential solution, for those with a tow vehicle that will allow it (Rav4 will not), is to mount a front hitch receiver and use the Thule Goalpost on the front of your vehicle to support the front of the kayaks, with the roof rack supporting the back.

Good luck to others dealing with this, and any further input welcome!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 AM   #69

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Your post was a most welcome and positive one this morning. We are picking up our Ford Escape this week!! It will be our vehicle to tow our 13 ft Trillium and transport our kayaks as well. We will have 14.5 kayaks so am hoping there will be no issue - with the measurements we did at the car lot we figure all should be well.

Thanks and maybe we should post pictures when the time comes to load 'er all up!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 AM   #70

Connecticut
Definitely! I am shopping for my Rav4 this week. Will have to get hitch and electric brakes installed, then order racks. Will probably be about 2-3 weeks before I am all set up, but will definitely take photos then!

I think with 14.5 foot kayaks you should be even better off than me, with my 16.5. That one will be pushing it!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #71

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
17' kayaks, thule crossbars on factory roof rails. PIA to get loaded but travels fine.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1396357651.134916.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	69425
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #72

Connecticut
McDenny that is a terrifically helpful photo. Does not alleviate the concern, though, because it seems awfully close and, with a Scamp, the roofline is not curved as much. Do you think you would be able to push the yaks forward a bit more, or would they become unstable?

I am looking into having the tongue on the Scamp lengthened a bit. That should help, but not sure on cost. Will post back.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #73

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for the info - the Trillium is not sloped as much as your trailer - that is just the issue I was concerned with. What is PIA?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #74

Connecticut
Pain in the arse. :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #75

Nova Scotia
Registry
hahahaha thank you!! A new acronym - yay!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #76

Michigan
As long as the center of the kayak is behind the front cross bar
You should be ok.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #77

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for the continued support on this topic - we are putting two kayaks on top - that's the worry - may be cutting it close on the turns - would love to post a pic of my new wheels but don't know how to do it in this area.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #78

Connecticut
JR, I think McDenny was letting us know that we can push our kayak(s) forward on the rack, so long as the very center of the kayak is behind the first crossbar. Am I right, McDenny?

I picked up my new RAV4 on Friday night, but I had serious problems getting someone to do the wiring harness. Two different UHauls said they couldn't handle it and the dealerships seemed confounded by it. I finally found a place, they have to order the hitch, it could be a week or two. I just want to get hooked up!

Here is a new dilemma: if I hook up my bikes to a spare tire bike rack on the RAV4, will they clear the trailer?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #79

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Thanks for the continued support on this topic - we are putting two kayaks on top - that's the worry - may be cutting it close on the turns - would love to post a pic of my new wheels but don't know how to do it in this area.

Right, al long as the kayak sits on the cross base you are ok. Be sure both front and rear tie downs are tight.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #80

Michigan
You can buy a Rav4 wiring harness that just plugs into the cars wiring. Takes five minutes to hookup, finding a way to route the wires out of the body to the hitch is more time consuming.