16 foot long kayaks on top of TV - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #71

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
17' kayaks, thule crossbars on factory roof rails. PIA to get loaded but travels fine.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1396357651.134916.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	69425

Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #72

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
McDenny that is a terrifically helpful photo. Does not alleviate the concern, though, because it seems awfully close and, with a Scamp, the roofline is not curved as much. Do you think you would be able to push the yaks forward a bit more, or would they become unstable?

I am looking into having the tongue on the Scamp lengthened a bit. That should help, but not sure on cost. Will post back.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #73

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for the info - the Trillium is not sloped as much as your trailer - that is just the issue I was concerned with. What is PIA?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #74

Connecticut
Pain in the arse. :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #75

Nova Scotia
Registry
hahahaha thank you!! A new acronym - yay!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #76

Michigan
As long as the center of the kayak is behind the front cross bar
You should be ok.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #77

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for the continued support on this topic - we are putting two kayaks on top - that's the worry - may be cutting it close on the turns - would love to post a pic of my new wheels but don't know how to do it in this area.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #78

Connecticut
JR, I think McDenny was letting us know that we can push our kayak(s) forward on the rack, so long as the very center of the kayak is behind the first crossbar. Am I right, McDenny?

I picked up my new RAV4 on Friday night, but I had serious problems getting someone to do the wiring harness. Two different UHauls said they couldn't handle it and the dealerships seemed confounded by it. I finally found a place, they have to order the hitch, it could be a week or two. I just want to get hooked up!

Here is a new dilemma: if I hook up my bikes to a spare tire bike rack on the RAV4, will they clear the trailer?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #79

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Thanks for the continued support on this topic - we are putting two kayaks on top - that's the worry - may be cutting it close on the turns - would love to post a pic of my new wheels but don't know how to do it in this area.

Right, al long as the kayak sits on the cross base you are ok. Be sure both front and rear tie downs are tight.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #80

Michigan
You can buy a Rav4 wiring harness that just plugs into the cars wiring. Takes five minutes to hookup, finding a way to route the wires out of the body to the hitch is more time consuming.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #81

Connecticut
McDenny, the first Uhaul guy said they only do 4 flat harnesses. The second Uhaul guy said there was nothing pre-wired, and he would have to run wires up the entire length of the car and back, and it would be dangerous, so I should have the dealership do it. ??? Then the dealership said it was pre-wired, but they could only install a 4 flat connection. Pep Boys simply had no idea what the heck was going on. I finally found a trailer place that would do it. Trailer place says they will use a Curt hitch and wiring harness, and I think he said that the wiring harness plugs in at the back of the car near the tail lights. I thought they had to plug it in at the dash?

After trying to figure this out for the past week, I sure hope the trailer place has it down. I am pretty good about doing research to figure out what is needed, but this has been a real head scratcher for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #82

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Vicki I am surprised none of the people you have talked to have been able to explain to you all that needs to happen.

I don't know what a RAV4 normally comes with for certain but your car is probable the same as many of other small tow vehicles & it comes with prewired but only a 4 pin that is for trailer lights only - it probable does not have a charge line prewired or a brake controller line prewired. Even some trucks if it not ordered with a tow package also only come that way. The prewired 4 plug is normally hidden under carpeting someplace in the rear of the car or sometimes behind a rear light panel - they often have to take an inside rear panel off to fish it out. To that they add a wiring harness that attaches to the outside of the car - if you are wanting brakes and a charge line to the trailer they will have to run the wires from the new outside connection up to the engine compartment of the vehicle & if you are wanting a brake controller then they will also have to fish the wire back from the engine compartment through the firewall back into the drivers area in the front of the vehicle & install a plug in connection for it. Depending on the vehicle doing all that may not be as simple as one might expect.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #83

Michigan
I had a RAV4 with tow pkg. no prewiring included. The Curt harness gives you light functions. The brake controller needs to be wired from scratch.

Many vehicles have thus done by the factory but not Toyotas
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #84

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our Honda CRV there was a plug behind the left rear inside panel. Plugged in my 4 wire harness that I got from etrailer, ran it under the panel, and it stays inside the car. I pull it out when needed and shut the door on the wires. It isn't exposed to the weather when not in use, and the rear door weatherstrip allows it to be shut in with no damage. Same set up on our Toyota Corolla, it stays in the trunk out of the weather when not in use. The under the bumper mounted plug on my old Blazer is always a corrosion problem.