16 foot long kayaks on top of TV - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #113

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
I am actually looking to install a spare tire bike rack on the rav. My thule t2 hitch rack won't fit with the side swinging read door, I am told. I was just concerned about clearance between the bikes and trailer. Someone brought up overall payload with bikes and kayaks on the car, an issue I appreciate needs to be considered. But I don't need to carry a bike rack on this hitch.

This thread covers so many topics! Lots of info, I hope it helps others as much as it has helped me.
Yes the issue of the vehicles total pay load as well as the issue of tongue weight needs to be considered when adding bike rakes and bikes to a hitch mount. Some mountain bikes can weigh a lot and when you add more than a couple along with the racks weight they can put you over the specs. I had a 4 bike Yakima once that was so heavy I couldn't install it into the hitch without help.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #114

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
16 foot long kayaks on top of TV

Quote:
I have the v6 with tow prep. I said that about the 2000 lb capacity because, as Francesca pointed out, the v6 without tow prep is rated for 2000 lbs. If we assume the increase with tow prep package to 3500 lbs is due solely to the extra hitch attachment points with the OEM hitch (an extremely conservative assumption), I still have at least 2000 lbs capacity with an aftermarket hitch.

Package includes extra radiator capacity and a power steering cooler. The Toyota hitch has quite a complicated attachment system and costs a lot. The aftermarket ones (all made by the same company BTW) bolt on with four bolts through existing holes in the rear body structure. Mine worked fine over probably 20,000 miles towing a 2850 # camper and a 2500# boat.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #115
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Where there's a will there is a way...

Whether you are towing a Glass Egg or an other small TT the challenges seem the same.

One of my on line pals solved his kayak/bike transport this way.
Attached Thumbnails
merc air kayak.jpg   merc air bike.jpg  

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #116

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If the class II Toyota hitch is actually 2", so be it. That's pretty rare, it's about time they start doing that and standardizing things. I hope the other manufacturers catch on. I've heard plenty of people say the 1 1-2" components are fine, I've never been impressed with any of them, myself. I've never seen any that didn't wiggle, or have some give to them.

I did a lot of looking, and the swagman xp racks are the ones that impressed me.

http://www.swagman.net/products/sing...xp-racks/xp-4/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397397685.655173.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	69808
Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #117

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Thanks all. So the outcome is, I got the Curt hitch installed yesterday. I will be heading over to where the trailer is parked on Friday to try out the various things that need trying. Do I need a different ball mount? Will the trailer fit with kayaks on top? Can we squeeze both bikes into the trailer, somehow? Will my Thule T2 fit without the trailer hitched up? New car, new trailer, lots of new considerations and configurations. Not sure I will get to all of it on Friday, but I will try, and report back.

Between that and trying to find good campsites for the summer, I am in planning overload. My brain hurts!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #118
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
New car, new trailer, lots of new considerations and configurations. Not sure I will get to all of it on Friday, but I will try, and report back.
Hi Vicki. Can you give us some more details? What car and trailer do you have now? What Curt product did you purchase? Thnxs.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #119

Connecticut
MC1, sorry if that was confusing. Same car and trailer as earlier in this post, just that they are new to me. So, 2008 v6 Rav4 with tow package, and 13 foot Scamp standard. :-)

The hitch is a Curt class III hitch for the Rav4. If I see lots of sag, I will either get the shock balloon things or a weight distribution system, but I am hoping my 13er is light enough to avoid that.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #120
MC1

Ontario
Sounds good Vicki. Please post some pics when you get it all set up.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #121

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What kind of camping are you looking to do. Probably near water because of the kayaks. Close to home or distance away. Nice teardrop based rally in the Adirondaks early June, at Fish Creek Pond, all sites on the water. Open to all campers, there have been Scamps attend, plus popups, travel trailers, and tents. We will be taking our teardrop there, later going to Rocky Neck with our Uhaul.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #122

Connecticut
Bob, we love fish creek pond! Camped there last year, great paddling. When is that rally? I am traveling for work June 1-4, but could maybe do the next weekend.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #123

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
June 6 &7, sent you a PM with details
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #124

Connecticut
OK folks, here is the promised update re: long kayaks on a tow vehicle.

We towed the Scamp with a 16+ foot canoe a couple of weeks ago up to Lake Francis State Park in New Hampshire, near the Canadian border. Our first trip out of state. It towed just fine, but the canoe was a bit close to the Scamp - - only about 8-10 inches away. Since it was centered, it was not a problem.

We are preparing for a kayaking trip to coastal Maine, and so tonight we finally dragged a 16 foot kayak out of storage to see how it fit on the RAV4 with the Scamp hooked up. We didn't tie it up, just popped the kayak up on the rack to see how it looked. Well, there was plenty of clearance. It will be just fine with two kayaks up there, even my 16.5 footer.

The difference is that the kayaks comfortably sit a little more forward than the canoe did, and also sit quite a bit higher. The back end of the canoe, upside down, curves downward and hangs low, while the rear of the kayak slopes upward in the same direction as the curve of the rounded top front of the Scamp. I hope that makes sense.

I have Yakima Rail Grabber rack towers on my RAV4's factory roof rails, with Yakima cross bars, so my rack sits higher than the factory rack and the front rail can be adjusted quite far forward. This all helps.

I don't have photos to share, but will get some while we are Scamping in Maine next week.

Also, regarding towing - - the 2008 RAV4 with a V6 and tow prep package tows great. I won't say you don't know the trailer is there, but I never feel like it is struggling, except one time that it downshifted a little when going up a very steep hill - - not a problem, just a little downshift. I have not needed a weight distribution hitch, air bags for the rear shocks, or sway bar, since it really tows great without, and our hitch installer said we just don't need it after driving it himself and seeing how the trailer sits. The nose sits just a little forward on the trailer - - perfect - - and the back of the car is not too low. We did remove one of the propane tanks from front, so our hitch weight is down, and we really don't carry much in the trailer other than very lightweight kitchenware, a few food items, 2 folding chairs, blankets/pillows, and Scamp tools/chocks/etc. Everything else in the RAV. We might put a few more things in the Scamp when we have the kayaks on, though, just to reduce the overall cargo weight in the RAV.

The side opening rear door on the RAV cannot be fully opened with the trailer on, but it can be partially opened, and this has not been a big problem.

The new brakes on the Scamp and brake controller in the RAV also work really well, just needed to be adjusted on the way home from our long trip.

So, we are on our way to having it all! I will let you know how the trip with the kayaks goes.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #125

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Has anybody thought of or tried inflatable kayaks? I have been looking at this one sold at Walmart and other stores including Cabelas.

Get the Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

This unit gets good reviews and can be packed up an stored in our T.V's.
Seems more logical to go this route.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #126

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Has anybody thought of or tried inflatable kayaks? I have been looking at this one sold at Walmart and other stores including Cabelas.
If you hate yourself, you might enjoy paddling one of those. A decent kayak or canoe costs at least ten times as much as that.
I paid $1,600 for my canoe some 15 years ago, and it was a "factory second" ( cosmetic blemishes ).
Paddling a canoe is one of the great pleasures of life, but like any other tool, it needs to be designed for the job.