16 Nissan Frontier for towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
tbp

Name: Brock
Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Registry
16 Nissan Frontier for towing

Considering a 2016 Nissan Frontier V6 for 91 Bigfoot 17G. Have towed from Ontario to Florida with 09 Honda Odyssey...engine did the work but I think tongue weight is just to hard on the soft suspension to make it efficient. Was filling up every 2 hours. Opinions please?
tbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have never towed a travel trailer , only my firewood trailer (2000 lbs) with a Nissan Frontier. Wasn't bad but wasn't great either.
The engine seemed to have enough HP but the braking and rear suspension left a lot to be desired .IMHO

Everyone has their own expectations and ideas about what a truck should be , so if I were you I would not rely on antedotle evidence.
Take a test drive !!

** Note ; My comments do not apply North of the 49th Parallel **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've got a 2012, double cab with the V6. Mine is an S model. Very basic. Nissan has been making the same truck since 2005 so the reviews suffer. I'm at 42k miles with no issues. I tow my 13' Trillium that weighs about 1800 lbs loaded. Set up for towing is plug and play. There are 3 wiring assemblies and the hitch which you can get at the dealer. The oem hitch has a holder for the 7 pin and costs a little more than the after market. Mine has a full back seat and a 5x5 bed with a cover. There's plenty of power when needed and the mileage is typically around 17 mpg with the trailer. I'm very happy with the truck and would buy another in a heart beat. Good luck, Raz

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170422_113035.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	105196
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I doubt fuel mileage will improve drastically with the Frontier. Towing fuel economy depends mostly on the size, weight, and shape of the trailer, and your Bigfoot is a wide, boxy trailer.

For more range, look for a larger fuel tank.

Diesels are the best way to get game-changing fuel economy and range, but light truck (half-ton & mid-size) diesels are few, and you have to tow a whole lot of miles to recoup the price of admission.

That said, the Frontier will have more power in reserve, won't be working quite as hard, and will handle the tongue weight better than your van. Price-wise, the Frontier is a pretty good value and a competent tow vehicle for small and mid-sized molded trailers.

I'd also consider a Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost myself. Torque at lower RPMs, similar fuel economy ratings, and an optional 36 gallon fuel tank. At a price.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Raz is right on.
My wife has one just like his and even though we have not towed with it I can tell you it has the power to do so. Get a consistent 19MPG on it.
I purchased an after market hitch that bolted right up to it and the wiring/relay stuff to install. It plugs directly into the vehicle wiring (On the passenger side up front) and another up under the rear bumper.

Ours is a 4WD and has a stiff ride.

Good Luck and happy camping.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Raz is right on.
My wife has one just like his and even though we have not towed with it I can tell you it has the power to do so. Get a consistent 19MPG on it.
I purchased an after market hitch that bolted right up to it and the wiring/relay stuff to install. It plugs directly into the vehicle wiring (On the passenger side up front) and another up under the rear bumper.

Ours is a 4WD and has a stiff ride.

Good Luck and happy camping.
Hi: Darwin Maring...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
*DNA N. of 45th. Parallel
Attached Thumbnails
P1040545.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
tbp

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for all replies. I would upsize to f150 or similar but just dont want the size in the city. Considering Frontier SV with tow pkg and very low mileage, Considering Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon as well but more $$$ here.

May just keep using Odyssey...have added some rubberized suspension bumpers to coils and new trailer brakes, not sure how well the original brakes worked on first long trip. Plans changed and now van is 2 years older with more mileage since upgrades.

Has anyone towed with higher octane gas? Anyone mounted wind deflector to roof? Just looking for ways to stretch the gas tank to limit stops, not so much about saving $$.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
tbp

Ontario
Registry
Frontier with Escape 5.0 looks awesome....
Old 04-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbp View Post
Has anyone towed with higher octane gas?
Expert that I heard on the radio said because engines these days are fed fuel by a computer that is set for whatever gas your manual calls for, that you are just wasting money using premium.
Expect thousands of posts contradicting this.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Raz

Like most vehicles, there is a forum that has useful info for owners and potential owners. Early models had a number of issues that have been corrected over the years. One that still exists is the spring loaded breather on the rear axle can corrode and lead to seal failure. The fix is to replace it with a breather hose. Cost about $10 and about hour of your time. There is a thread on the Forum. Raz

Nissan Frontier Forum
Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
...Expect thousands of posts contradicting this.
But not mine.

You might get a slight bump in performance- some vehicles are programmed to recognize high octane fuel and change some engine parameters (usually performance-oriented luxury makes). But you will not get any measurable increase in fuel mileage, and certainly not in proportion to the cost.

A roof wind deflector, if well designed and not too heavy, might net 1 mpg. That would increase your range by a whopping 15-18 miles.

I really think it is what it is. To get any significant increase in range you need a diesel engine or a larger gas tank. Or a smaller trailer, and even then...

We pull a 13' Scamp with a '11 Honda Pilot, same engine, transmission, and 21 gallon tank. Fuel mileage towing runs 16-19 mpg depending on grades and winds. Since I don't like to run the tank below a quarter, our real-world range is 225-250 miles. Sometimes we top off after less than 200 miles, depending on how far it is to the next major town. It does feel like we stop a lot. It is what it is.

In any case it's rare for my fuel tank to run low before someone in the vehicle needs a bathroom break.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Regular gasoline in our area is $2.25 / US Gallon and premium is $2.95 / US Gallon. That's a 30% difference in cost with no appreciable increase in MPG at least in my vehicle.
I run the grade of fuel recommended in my owner's manual.
I never expected great MPG's while towing and I have never been disappointed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I tow my 1800 (ready to roll) 13' Scamp with a 4 cyl '99 Nissan Frontier! Dont take it in continuously high mountain-climbing terrain but over all, it's a jewel to pull with. It's a "standard/straight" shift 5 speed Tranny. NO problems and I average 20-21 mpg. The wind can make a 5-6 mpg difference! I've proven that. Also speed. I usually drive the sweet spot at apx 62 mph except on the Natchez Trace where I drive 50-55 max. There I can get up to 21 to nearly 22 mpg!

I've always thought a small 4 cyl Diesel would be SWEET. But kinda a waste on a frame or setup that's rated at 3500lb tow cap...right?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Expert that I heard on the radio said because engines these days are fed fuel by a computer that is set for whatever gas your manual calls for, that you are just wasting money using premium.
Expect thousands of posts contradicting this.
I agree. A little chemistry lesson, here. In the "simplified" explanation, gasoline is actually made up of hydrocarbon molecules, more appropriately called hydrocarbon chains. Can anyone guess what two atoms are involved? :<)
Not all hydrocarbons are created equal. Those chains containing only 8 carbon atoms are called octane, and octane is the ideal motor fuel because it is less likely to ignite than hydrocarbon chains of differing length. The octane rating of fuel is a measure of how many octane molecules to other length hydrocarbons in a given volume of gasoline. Refineries actually utilize a process called cracking to split longer hydrocarbon chains with the intent of "creating" more octane. Using fuel with a higher octane rating in an engine that doesn't require it has absolutely no benefits and may actually be detrimental. Higher octane is necessary in high compression engines to prevent pre-ignition, also known as detonation (engine ping), which can have a damaging effect on an engine. Because octane is more resistant to combustion, it greatly reduces/eliminates detonation. Airplane engines which are very high compression may require avgas, which has an octane rating around 110.
If premium fuel (93 octane) is used in an engine for which the manufacturer recommends regular (87 octane), the higher octane fuel's resistance to ignition is likely to result in unburned hydrocarbons, i.e., power robbing carbon deposits in the heads/combustion chambers. That, with the higher cost of unnecessary higher octane fuel can combine to empty one's wallet faster. Again, this is the simplified explanation of octane, which is what differs between the various grades of gasoline.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Sprinters offer nice small diesels

For $32,495 you can buy the Sprinter Worker, with a 2.1 diesel, 7 speed, standard roof. I have an older one with a 2.7 liter 5 cylinder 5 speed. One key, is the twin turbo. Ford's ecoboost uses a turbo. I get an easy 20 mpg, and 25 if I baby it. Diesels have changed some, so find a Sprinter owner group and talk to owners. Sprinters are quiet and drive like a car. The small displacement does not scare me. It is rated for 5,000 pounds towing, and 3,500 payload. The 2.1 liter has identical torque and hp as my 2.7 liter 5 speed, which is not underpowered. One bonus is all the secure enclosed storage (sleeping) space in the Sprinter. The engine and body have a 5 yr /100,000 mile warranty. The rest is 3yr/36,000. I have never had problems with starting it on 1st try, here in Denver. Oh, the high roof is $2,500
more, and I love it.
So I see the Chevy Colorado with a 2.8 liter Duramax Diesel is base priced at $35,535, and rated 30 mpg highway. That gives you a choice. I'd take the Sprinter with it's enclosed space.
Nissan now (correction, talks about) a 2.8 liter Cummins in the Frontier, and Toyota offers a diesel Tacoma (correction, outside the U.S.).
I haven't researched them, but Dodge and Jeep may offer small Fiat diesel engines.

Sprinter Worker Cargo Van Features | Mercedes-Benz Vans

2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax diesel review with price, power and photo gallery
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #16

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
We tow our 17' Casita SD with a basic 6 cylinder crew cab 2010 Nissan Frontier 2wd. We have towed through the Rockies with no problems-in fact, we are headed back to Glacier National Park from Missouri soon. Gas mileage ranges from 13-16 depending on load and terrain. We use a tonneau cover over the truck bed, which holds our camping chairs, inflatable kayak, ice chests, tools, etc. Our trailer weighs about 3400 lbs loaded. We don't generally travel with a full water tank, either. For us, a full size truck wasn't an option-too tight in the garage. We have been happy overall with our choice.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Nissan now puts a 2.8 liter Cummins in the Frontier.]
While they teased , I don't think they actually followed through, at least not yet. I believe the Titan now has a diesel option. Raz
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very happy with our Frontier

We tow with a 2013 4WD Frontier. Fuel economy on highways is only 14 or 15 mpg. The 4WD is great on bad roads- we have made a wrong turn once in a national forest and used the low range of 4WD to pull the trailer up a ravine to safety. It is also good on dirt roads in the rain, as this photo shows.
Attached Thumbnails
20 miles on a dirt road in the rain.jpg  
Eric Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: Sonic by Venture
Texas
Towing with a Nissan Frontier V6

I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV with the 4L V6. We recently bought a Venture Sonic 220 VBH to tow. I can't get over how big the camper looks but the weight is 4200 empty (5000 with gear and half a tank of fresh water) and a tongue weight around 400 lbs. This is at the top end of what the Frontier is designed to do but we wanted to get the most bang for our buck. I am glad we got the extra room and the Sonic is a beautiful trailer. I would recommend this combination.
robertwp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #20

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Have you thought about upgrading the suspension with some heavier duty coils? We replaced all four coils on our 99 Nissan Pathfinder with Old Man Emu ones and added adjustable airbags to the rear coils. Made a huge difference.
Shawn B. is offline   Reply With Quote