1975 Scamp 13 axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
1975 Scamp 13 axle replacement

I would like to replace the axle on our Scamp, does anyone know the specs for a new axle that I should inquire about? Should I just ask the dealer's for a Dexter 2k axle? I would like one that has no extra lift, just the same exact axle that came new in 1975 with no brakes. Thanks.

This is one I across although it's a 2200lb axle. Would this work?
http://www.easternmarine.com/71-tors...er-axle-50079j

http://www.theoempartsstore.com/prod...at=2295&page=1
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You probably won't get the exact same axle, wasn't Dexter that they used back then. Was a company now called AlKO that made the axles. Dexter can provide you with the axle you need.

Unless you are confident in your ability to get all of the dimensions 100% correct I would let a shop that does trailers and trailer axles do the measuring, and order the part, and probably have them install it too. They measure wrong they eat the cost you measure wrong you now own Dexter axle that won't fit.

It is possible to determine the original ride height of your scamp, the arm going from axle to tire has the square shaft coming through it. Originally the square would have one set of points running parallel to the frame. Like this <>.

With a wheel off so you can see the square shaft you can jack the camper up until the shaft is again lined up with two points in a straight line parallel to the frame. Measure the distance from the wheel spindle to the ground. New axle needs to have the same height for that spindle.

The old ones had the arms for the wheel going forward rather than toward the back, most trailers today do trailing not leading. So the axle has to be turned around.

The brackets are not centered on the axle of the Scamp so that bracket measurement has to be requested for the order AND has to be reversed when ordering because you will have to turn your Dexter around to have the wheels in front of axle rather than behind.

Essentially the axle bar goes across the frame tucked in pretty close to where the rear dining floor goes up. It has a weld that is to that rise in the frame and a longer one along the frame.

Some people have frame members added to run a more common trailing axle, or do that work themselves.

Order brakes, you won't ever regret having trailer brakes and they can't really be added after without spending a lot more money than they are being added when ordered.

New wheels are 5 bolt, the old wheels are 4 bolt. You can get 4 bolt but I suggest not doing so, especially with brakes. Since almost no trailers with 4 bolt use brakes parts will seldom be in stock if you have a breakdown.

Pretty easy to make a modification to support a 5 bolt spare tire on the back instead of a 4 bolt. Just an adapter that bolts to the original two bolts and has a support coming down and welded to the back bumper.

If you have any questions that don't get answered by someone feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to answer them that way. But a lot of people have done this and there is more than one way to skin this cat. You will probably really like how much smoother it tows and how much less the contents get thrown around with a new axle.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You probably won't get the exact same axle, wasn't Dexter that they used back then. Was a company now called AlKO that made the axles. Dexter can provide you with the axle you need.

Unless you are confident in your ability to get all of the dimensions 100% correct I would let a shop that does trailers and trailer axles do the measuring, and order the part, and probably have them install it too. They measure wrong they eat the cost you measure wrong you now own Dexter axle that won't fit.

It is possible to determine the original ride height of your scamp, the arm going from axle to tire has the square shaft coming through it. Originally the square would have one set of points running parallel to the frame. Like this <>.

With a wheel off so you can see the square shaft you can jack the camper up until the shaft is again lined up with two points in a straight line parallel to the frame. Measure the distance from the wheel spindle to the ground. New axle needs to have the same height for that spindle.

The old ones had the arms for the wheel going forward rather than toward the back, most trailers today do trailing not leading. So the axle has to be turned around.

The brackets are not centered on the axle of the Scamp so that bracket measurement has to be requested for the order AND has to be reversed when ordering because you will have to turn your Dexter around to have the wheels in front of axle rather than behind.

Essentially the axle bar goes across the frame tucked in pretty close to where the rear dining floor goes up. It has a weld that is to that rise in the frame and a longer one along the frame.

Some people have frame members added to run a more common trailing axle, or do that work themselves.

Order brakes, you won't ever regret having trailer brakes and they can't really be added after without spending a lot more money than they are being added when ordered.

New wheels are 5 bolt, the old wheels are 4 bolt. You can get 4 bolt but I suggest not doing so, especially with brakes. Since almost no trailers with 4 bolt use brakes parts will seldom be in stock if you have a breakdown.

Pretty easy to make a modification to support a 5 bolt spare tire on the back instead of a 4 bolt. Just an adapter that bolts to the original two bolts and has a support coming down and welded to the back bumper.

If you have any questions that don't get answered by someone feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to answer them that way. But a lot of people have done this and there is more than one way to skin this cat. You will probably really like how much smoother it tows and how much less the contents get thrown around with a new axle.
Thanks alot. I did call a fabrication shop and they said they'd install it but I'd have to provide them with the axle. They might be able to measure it themselves but I didn't ask.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #4

Michigan
Quick note: Your link is to a company Tie Down Engineering that Dexter just bought. https://www.dexteraxle.com/about-dex...wn-engineering

Here are the Dexter Torflex axles. https://www.dexteraxle.com/products/...00-lb-capacity

I didn't really get into the whole bracket thing but brackets that allow bolt on/off axle will make future changes easier (say an axle gets damaged) but are not a direct fit into that angle where older scamps have an axle. Of course your axle and attachment could have been modified over the years.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Michigan
Places that build trailers, horse trailer users, farmers, are all good candidates to provide leads on who can do the job. Also any business that uses a lot of trailers such as landscaping or excavation companies will likely have someplace that maintains their trailers.

Lot of trailer places don't do their own tires, so some of the "industrial" tire places will know where the trailer fabrication and repair shops are. Places that rebuild leaf springs for cars may be a lead. Car clubs, and motocross clubs use trailers a lot and they might know someplace good to get trailer work done.

Ask around and you may find some recommendations for places that will do the job from end to end.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

New Jersey
I guess it would seem easier rather then trying to get something as close to OEM just going with something like a leading arm 2k or 2200lb 4 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern 22 degrees up axle?

The only reason I wanted as close to stock is so I could fit the trailer into the garage but I guess it wouldn't be too big of a deal if it wouldn't fit.

I will call the shop sometime and see if they can double check the measurement or maybe call Scamp if they have precise measurements of the bracket position.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Hi, I have a Burro. I ended up swapping over to a leaf spring. I'm real happy with the decision.

Feel free to PM if you want to discuss.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
You could order it from Scamp and have a local shop install it. That way you should get the right one
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Axel

The axel from Scamp is around $550 plus shipping a local frame and axel shop quoted me $200 to install and advised me to have it shipped to them Check with Scamp if the current axel will fit your trailer.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #10

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
The axel from Scamp is around $550 plus shipping a local frame and axel shop quoted me $200 to install and advised me to have it shipped to them Check with Scamp if the current axel will fit your trailer.
That's what I did last year. An added advantage to going this route, according to Scamp, is that they have the axles in stock. If you order from the manufacturer, you end up waiting several weeks, until you fit into their production schedule. My axle was shipped from Scamp the next morning (I ordered it late afternoon) and it was delivered by Fed Ex within three days - great service. They also worked with the shop that installed it via phone, giving them pointers for the install.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #11

Name: Gene
Trailer: 77 Modified Scamp 13 Towed with 99 Jeep Wrangler
Iowa
Registry
Smile New Axle for 77 Scamp

My wife and I traveled to Backus in early November and had the factory replace our aging axle on our 1977 Scamp. As you can see in the picture the replacement axle has lifted up the body back to original. It only took 2-1/2 hours to replace and now we have a safe trailer again. Our old axle had allowed the body to sag and was quite low and almost impossible to change out the tires. I feel much better now.
GMYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp