1976 Trillium 13' - ball size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We are picking up a '76 trillium on Saturday - we are having the hitch installed on Wednesday.

What size ball do we need?

thanks
Sahm J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Quote:
We are picking up a '76 trillium on Saturday - we are having the hitch installed on Wednesday.

What size ball do we need?

thanks
Hi both my 78 trillium trailers had 1 7/8" balls. but one had 7 pin plug the other had a 6 pin.
congrats on the trailer. Ian
Ian Harrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Hi both my 78 trillium trailers had 1 7/8" balls. but one had 7 pin plug the other had a 6 pin.
congrats on the trailer. Ian
Mine is 1 7/8", with a 4 pin plug.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One additional note on the wiring: If your car has a 4-prong flat, and the trailer has a 7-blade round (or maybe even a 6-pin round), I wasn't able to find a ready-made adapter to go in that direction -- they all went the other way.

I called a trailer shop and they said yep, that's how it is. They made me one from parts and wire for $17. I guess it's because that arrangement is "downgrading" the capability from the trailer to the vehicle, and they figure people won't be doing that.

(The larger connecter on the trailer can be for charging the trailer battery/running fridge in trailer and/or for trailer brakes - both of which your car can interface with if it's set up that way. In my case the larger connector on the trailer was only for running the fridge, so it was no problem to go without that capability.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

Hi Sahm,

1 7/8" was the standard ball size for Trilliums and both of mine were 1 7/8". However, a hitch ball is cheap, $5-10, so just be prepared to grab one from the nearest automotive supply dealer if you have the wrong size.

Raya, luckily for us, if the trailer has a 7 pin round and the car has a 4 pin THERE IS an adapter. Both my Trilliums had 7 pins when I purchased them.

This was the situation I was in when I purchased my first Trillium. Lordco in Canada has the adapter (I have seen them in several BC locations and bought mine in Burnaby) and it's around $15. You plug the 4 pin from the car into it - I zap tied mine to the hitch for a solid connection. The only trick is to make sure the ground wire on the 7 pin adapter is really grounded well. I had to buy some 10 gauge wire to extend the ground and attach it to the original 4 pin ground.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Sahm, to the Fiberglass site!!
....Most of these trailers had a ball size stamped onto the top side of the coupler, they MAY be covered over with layers of paint and or corrosion. The trailers all came with a 1 7/8 in coupler. Canadian Tire also sells wiring adaptor plugs to go either size/either direction. There IS an outlet right around the corner from where you live, LOL!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #7

Just a note about Canadian Tire - they do not stock the car side 4 pin to 7 pin adapter, I could only find that at Lordco. I also found Crappy to be more expensive then Lordco.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yep, I looked at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, and an RV place to no avail. All three had racks of adapters, so it wasn't that they didn't have a good selection. Luckily a woman at Canadian Tire knew of a trailer hitch place. I called them and they told me it wasn't a standard item, since most people don't go "backwards." They made one up for me out of components.

That said, it looks like they are available someplace - namely Lordco, as Booker mentioned. Seems like they are rare birds compared to all the other adapters though, so I just wanted to mention it before you ran all over town looking.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
my 75 Surfside (same trailer) is a 2 inch if that helps.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium