1979 Burro - Electric brakes - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #61

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
I wired each wheel all the way to my wiring block at the front of the trailer. Now I need a 7 pin installed on my tow Jeep Wrangler and a brake controler.
Attached Thumbnails
Wire_001.jpg   Wire_003.jpg  

Wire_004.jpg  
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #62

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't forget to use an auto-reset circuit breaker on the power connection to the brakes, per the controller instructions. I also use one on the battery-charge connection because the only way I would likely notice a blown fuse is when my trailer battery was dead...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #63

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
Don't forget to use an auto-reset circuit breaker on the power connection to the brakes, per the controller instructions. I also use one on the battery-charge connection because the only way I would likely notice a blown fuse is when my trailer battery was dead...
Can you give me more info on this auto circuit breaker. What size do you use on the battery connection? Where did you purchase?
I'm looking into the Tekonsha P3 brake controler.

http://www.tekonsha.com/p3.html

Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #64

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Tekonsha's web site for the P3 is still not as complete as for other models. If you look at the Prodigy page, you'll see the usual level of documentation, including a link to their generic Brake Control Wiring Instructions. As described there, the circuit breaker is in the line from the battery positive terminal to the control's power input lead (black wire).

Tekonsha specifies "20 amp for 1-2 axles, 30 amp for 3-4 axles"; with only one axle, 20 amps is more than high enough, but if the wire gauge is appropriate it is harmless to use the 30A rating.

I actually bought mine at an RV dealership, but they're common automotive electrical components, and only cost a few dollars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #65

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's an example at an auto parts store:

AutoReset Circuit Breaker
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, burro