1979 Triple E Surf Side Trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Peter,

Is there any reason you would prefer a Scamp or Lil Bigfoot? Scamp's are hard to find in Canada and there were not a lot of Lil Bigfoots made. However, there are Trilliums (1300 and 4500) and Surfsides that come up for sale frequently in BC.

I prefer the Trilliums over Boler's due to the interior height and all fiberglass construction including cabinets - The Surfsides used the 4500 Trillium mold but has plywood cabinets like the Bolers. The construction techniques have not changed much over the years on the 13' fliberglass models so buying new doesn't have many advantages over buying used. If you look at the new Trilliums being made (trilliumtrailers.com) you will see it's the exact same mold and cabinet design just with new 12v appliances - Trillium got the design right the first time. Just my two bits.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Likely, you are going to have to retrofit brakes on any 13' trailer you find used because they weren't a stock item and folks tended to believe the tow vehicle brakes would stop anything it could pull.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #17

Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Quote:
Thankyou everyone for the good advice, I have some tough decisions to make now, either fork out the cash for a trailer brake conversion or no trailer for now.
Its hard to believe that a tacoma that's rated for towing 3500 lbs couldn't handle a 1600 lb trailer without trailer brakes. Any other advice is greatly apreciated.
Thanks again

Peter
Hi Peter! I bought my 13ft. Burro when my kids were 4&8 in 89 or 90...When I weighed it, it was 1040, lighter than what your're considering. I never thought I needed brakes, but didn't realize it had them until Cory's brother checked them out when he so wonderfully rejuvenated Burrito! I'd never hooked them up until 2 weeks before the Oregon gathering...Controller plus 6plug harness for my car was only $250.00 at a trucking place here in Lacey! My son hooked Burrito up, & we went 2 blks., over a bump &...... the trailer FELL OFF! We laid a 75 yard strip in the payment from the trailer foot dragging, but the fact I had brakes & had the chains really tight were the only things that saved my car!! Got it back on, & about 20 miles from Bandon, I nearly hit a deer going 50 or 60 at 10p.m. Again, I think the brakes saved us....So....I have now become a believer, tho I probably would not have paid the $800.+ camping world quoted for everything... Hope this gives you some ideas...I've taken the trailer over several mountian passes, but as many people pointed out, it's cheaper to have trailer brakes put on than replace the brakes on the tow, or worse after an accident!
Karen L. (82 13ft. Burro)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #18

Camping World is not a good place to go for inexpensive labor -- They are used to getting a lot of $$ out of the BulgeMobile owners.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
In BC the rules are as follows: If your trailer is greater than 1400kg (3080lbs) or its weight is more than 50% of your tow vehicle's weight your have to have brakes. Your potential purchase weighs about 1600lbs so you need to check the GVW of your truck. If your truck weighs more than 3100lbs then you would be ok without brakes. I had the same questions and checked with the scales. However it never hurts to have brakes. You will also have to convert the wireing on your truck and trailer to a 7 pin connector and install a brake controller inside your cab
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Surfside
Newbie alert!!

I assume my Surf Side has brakes, but I don't know for sure. ANy tips on how to tell? I see wires going into the wheels, and I know it's not the wiring for the brake lights.... hence my suspicion it has brakes.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #21

Likely, you have brakes -- Look under trailer to back of wheel on opposite side -- You should see square vertical piece of steel around axle arm with four holes in it -- If the holes are filled with nuts and bolts, you have brakes -- Also, the back side of the wheel should allow you to see if there is a brake drum, backing plate and brake adjustment oval hole at bottom of plate.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Surfside
Here is a picture I took. I can't see inside the wheels for a brake drum right now?

Can anyone help? Do I have brakes??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1520.JPG  
Old 08-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
those wires are definitely for brakes.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #24

Not only are those the brake wires, the brake flange is visible and has the brake parts clamped to it with the four nuts. That's the back (open) side of the brake drum with the brake hardware plate filling it. You have brakes!