1992 Toyota pickup 4cy with 13' Scamp - KS to Oregon and back? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We're at the rally in Texas, mostly Casita 17s. One of them told me he has a friend who pulls a Casita 17 with an old 4 cylinder toyota truck. I thought that was very impressive....

Not using this as a basis but you should have no trouble pulling a Scamp 13 with a 4 cylinder Toyota other than trouble any older vehicle might give you. Our son pulls one witha 4 cylinder Honda Accord and of course we pull a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV. The Toyota 4 has a great reputation.

Both Honda and Toyota refinded the 4 cylinder engine after the first oil crisis.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Eric, one more thing I forgot: there are still a ton of surviving 22re's in use out west. If needed, parts should be readily available and service should be plentiful.

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
IMHO I think the truck would be better vs a new car to tow with. The truck has been "broken in" and will handle the 13' Scamp fine. Your new car will need to be "broken in" and cars compared to trucks do not tow as well. Don't be afraid of the less horsepower in the truck, with proper gearing it will do fine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Smile Tacoma 4 cyl with 17 ft Casita

Pulls the 2800 pounds fine uphill, but I stay out of overdrive or the trans shifts constantly with grade changes. I definitely would not pull over mountains without electric brakes and a transmission cooler - ATF breaks down really fast with too much heat.
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
I am new here, and while I haven't pulled a scamp with my toyota, I have towed small enclosed bike trailers, and 5x8 utility trailers loaded to capacity over 80 from Reno to the bay, as well as all over the Reno/sparks area. I have a 1988 toyota 4x4 with the 22RE and 5 speed transmission. It just turned 339,000 miles, and I would not think twice about driving it to New York and Back tomorrow. In my opinion there is not a more reliable engine made. I also race off road, and while I am racing, my crew uses my Toyota as a chase vehicle. So a portion of those miles are in off road conditions, and its pulled many off road cars off the course. Its no powerhouse, but it will go anywhere at any time.. Never left me stranded..

At 145,000 miles your toy is barely broken in. as long as you don't mind downshifting for the mountain passes, you should have no issues at all.

Originally Posted by Reberic View Post

First time caller, long time listener.

Can I ask your advice on a tow question? I have a 1992 Toyota pickup, 4cy with the 22re motor in it. Has 145k miles. In good shape. New radiator.

As of this past fall, we have a 1981 Scamp 13'. Planning to put on trailer brakes ASAP.

I'm considering a trip from KS to Oregon / California and back early this summer with the rig.

I'm not worried about the rig here on the relatively flat terrain in the Midwest. But I've lived in the mountains and know they can really test a vehicle.

Think a 4,000-mile tow journey in June through mountains might be too much to ask of a 20-year old 4 cylinder truck? I'm on the fence about it. Part of me things "aw, hell, get the trailer brakes, a tune up and go for it -- drive slow safe and sane." The other part of me things a Subaru Outback or Rav4 or Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Escape might be worth exploring as a TV to replace our family's 2004 Vibe.

Greg H - I'm looking at you. This something you'd do in your 1993 Toyota?

I know there's no definitive answer either way. But thought I'd try to gauge opinions of folks who've logged the miles.

Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Having downsized from a 21' mini motor home on 1ton chassis with a heroic 22R-E (6100 lbs empty), I think any well cared for and tuned Toy is more than capable.
I sure pushed mine hard up and Dow the mountains of the east. Just don't expect to keep up with traffic. Enjoy the rare passing of a Semi up a long grade. : )

Charley is offline   Reply With Quote