1992 Toyota pickup 4cy with 13' Scamp - KS to Oregon and back? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Oregon
1992 Toyota pickup 4cy with 13' Scamp - KS to Oregon and back?

Howdy!

First time caller, long time listener.

Can I ask your advice on a tow question? I have a 1992 Toyota pickup, 4cy with the 22re motor in it. Has 145k miles. In good shape. New radiator.

As of this past fall, we have a 1981 Scamp 13'. Planning to put on trailer brakes ASAP.

I'm considering a trip from KS to Oregon / California and back early this summer with the rig.

I'm not worried about the rig here on the relatively flat terrain in the Midwest. But I've lived in the mountains and know they can really test a vehicle.

Think a 4,000-mile tow journey in June through mountains might be too much to ask of a 20-year old 4 cylinder truck? I'm on the fence about it. Part of me things "aw, hell, get the trailer brakes, a tune up and go for it -- drive slow safe and sane." The other part of me things a Subaru Outback or Rav4 or Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Escape might be worth exploring as a TV to replace our family's 2004 Vibe.

Greg H - I'm looking at you. This something you'd do in your 1993 Toyota?

I know there's no definitive answer either way. But thought I'd try to gauge opinions of folks who've logged the miles.

Cheers,
Eric
Reberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Eric, welcome to FiberglassRV I own neither a Toyota nor a vehicle with that many miles on it, so I'll leave answering your questions to the experts. But, you'll love Oregon when you get here!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Oregon
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the nice note. We lived on the coast for a couple wonderful years and then 5-6 more in Central Oregon. Wonderful place - miss it often.

Headed back for some friends' early June wedding and thought it'd be a good excuse to take the camper on its first big journey. Thought we'd head down the coast after that and then make our way back.

Oh, if it helps in anyone's thoughts, I'm going to take I-80 through the Rockies. That I-70 trip is plenty steep in parts.
Reberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Only you know how good your current truck is. Only you know what maintenance it has received, and whether or not you have 100% confidence in it. If it is worrying you, then perhaps it may be time find a new home for it.

With my own maint sched, I'd consider 145K miles to be getting almost (but not yet fully) broken in, but then again, my pickups are ALWAYS full size, heavily optioned and with humongous engines that don't have to work very hard. A 4 cyl p/u is a whole different animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberic View Post
Howdy!

Can I ask your advice on a tow question? I have a 1992 Toyota pickup, 4cy with the 22re motor in it. Has 145k miles. In good shape. New radiator.

As of this past fall, we have a 1981 Scamp 13'. Planning to put on trailer brakes ASAP.

I'm considering a trip from KS to Oregon / California and back early this summer with the rig.

I'm not worried about the rig here on the relatively flat terrain in the Midwest. But I've lived in the mountains and know they can really test a vehicle.

Think a 4,000-mile tow journey in June through mountains might be too much to ask of a 20-year old 4 cylinder truck? I'm on the fence about it. Part of me things "aw, hell, get the trailer brakes, a tune up and go for it -- drive slow safe and sane." The other part of me things a Subaru Outback or Rav4 or Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Escape might be worth exploring as a TV to replace our family's 2004 Vibe.

I know there's no definitive answer either way. But thought I'd try to gauge opinions of folks who've logged the miles.

Cheers,
Eric
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Ha ! I say go for it ! I bought one of those trucks new, and ran it for 14 years. I pulled a cargo trailer with our dirt bikes in it, all over the place with it ( yes, across the continental divide several times ). Great little old trucks....pretty hard to kill them.
We would often have two MX bikes in the trailer, plus a third bike in the bed of the truck, and of course all of our tools and support stuff. Never a problem.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I have an 08 Tacoma. It has about 24K miles on it. I would not want to haul a 2000 lb trailer even on I70. Of course I hate going 55 and doing 45 on the hilly parts is just out of the question
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have an 07 Tacoma 4 cyl. and towed my 16" Scamp, 2500 lbs, from Central California, through the the Colorado Rockys to Yellowstone and Grand Teton with no trouble.
I drive the speed limit and then some.
It was slow on some long grades.
I have a 1988 Toyota Sunrader with 127000 miles on it I'm remodeling.
I won't hesitate to take it on a long trip when it's finished.
If it runs well 145000 miles is nothing to worry about. It's just getting broke in.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Any vehicle can have a breakdown, whether old or new. All you can do is minimize the little things that can go wrong. I would want to make sure the fluids were fresh, and if the belts and hoses were more than 5 or 6 years old I might replace them. Take it easy on the grades. I don't think you'll kill your pickup... although one never knows when its number will come up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
One thing about those motors ( and many like them ) is they can NOT stand to be overheated. Motorad makes a "fail-safe" thermostat for that engine, that works in that if it "fails" it does so "open" so that if anything it over cools, instead of overheating.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
i Say go for it. Just remember she is old and donnot push her to hard.If you have not changed filter in gas line do it before you go. Filter is inside frame behind cab..Only problem with my 92 in 180.000 miles.tahnks Kenneth
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Back in the 1980s I had a 4Runner with that same engine. Absolutely bullet-proof! We loaded it with people and gear and pulled a heavy pop-up all over northern Arizona. Uphill, get over in the right lane with the trucks, put it in third gear and you are good to go.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i would arrainge for a contingency plan. I.E. have enough money with you in case you have to rent a truck. and then go for it. and report back to us. will be interesting to see how tough that truck is.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 86 Cadet
Ontario
Registry
I go for it.

The engine with 145k should not be a big concern if you maintain it properly all these years. Since you have a new rad, cooling the engine should not be an issue; just keep an eye on the temperature gauge and RPM. Make sure the transmission is OK. Have the tran oil been changed since new? Check the colour of the oil. Put in a transmission cooler might be a good idea. Make sure the brakes are in good working order. How's the brake lines? Rusted? Ball joints and shocks should be checked.

Install electric brake is a good idea. If your truck is manual, you have much more control going up hill and down hill. If it's an automatic, you can manually take it out of overdrive when you feel the truck losing power going up hill or it going too fast down hill.

Try not to load the trailer with too much gear and weight when pulling; put extra stuff in the truck.

Enjoy the trip...
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #14

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
This is an 'apples to oranges' comparison but the similarities are there.

I had a 1995 Nissan King Cab Hardbody 4x4 with the R24 engine, 5spd manual transmission, slightly oversize (235/85R-15LT) tires, & aluminum camper shell w/ladder rack. My day-to-day fuel mileage avg about 20-22mpg, & I changed oil & lubed the truck every 3K miles. Truck had around 130K+ miles when I sold it 3 1/2yrs ago.

In 2006 I built a teardrop trailer on a Harbor Freight 1740# trailer. My trailer is 60" wide, 114" long (excluding tongue), & about 74" tall at highest point. Dry weight is 1150# give or take a few. When on the road we load approx another 200-250# in the trailer & at least that much in the truck (generator, grill, propane tank, spare tire, water, misc.). Average fuel mileage while pulling the teardrop was 17-18mpg over all terrain from sea level to 9-10K' mountains. The single 'obstacle' that most affected my mileage was a direct or quartering headwind of 25kts or higher while towing. We experienced a 35-40kt (gusts to 50kts) quartering headwind once in NW Kansas (pretty level ground) in which I wasn't able to maintain 55mph in 5th gear. The last 107mi that day I used more than 8gal of gas.

In 2007 we made a 1mo trip 'out west' thru the Medicine Bow Mts in Colorado & Wyoming, & the Wind River Range of the Rocky Mts in Wyoming (approx 2500mi). South of Laramie, WY there is a section of hwy where you climb from 7K' to over 9K' in about 5-6mi. I had to drop to 3rd gear on several occasions there & never went above 4th. Same performance in the mountains west of Riverton, WY. Otherwise the Nissan performed admirably the entire trip.

The Nissan was 'long gone' before I bought the Scamp 13' but I've towed the teardrop quite a lot with the 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr, V-6, 5spd auto transmission, 4x4 w/high rise fiberglass shell. It averges 19+ mpg towing & I got exactly the same mileage bringing the Scamp home (150mi+) after purchase so I'd say the towing characteristics are similar; weight, size, & wind resistance wise. Actually I get better mileage towing the Scamp since replacing the axle/tires/wheels.

If your Toyota is in decent shape (145K mi ain't hurt it), been serviced regularly, & you have confidence in it, I'd have little hesitation about pulling a 13' Scamp on the trip you contemplate. You'll have some slow towing in some areas but generally you'll probably be able to 'go with the flow' of traffic. Agree with jmark tho, I'd surely want electric brakes on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of DSCN2278.JPG   Copy of DSCN2415.JPG  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're at the rally in Texas, mostly Casita 17s. One of them told me he has a friend who pulls a Casita 17 with an old 4 cylinder toyota truck. I thought that was very impressive....

Not using this as a basis but you should have no trouble pulling a Scamp 13 with a 4 cylinder Toyota other than trouble any older vehicle might give you. Our son pulls one witha 4 cylinder Honda Accord and of course we pull a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV. The Toyota 4 has a great reputation.

Both Honda and Toyota refinded the 4 cylinder engine after the first oil crisis.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Eric, one more thing I forgot: there are still a ton of surviving 22re's in use out west. If needed, parts should be readily available and service should be plentiful.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
IMHO I think the truck would be better vs a new car to tow with. The truck has been "broken in" and will handle the 13' Scamp fine. Your new car will need to be "broken in" and cars compared to trucks do not tow as well. Don't be afraid of the less horsepower in the truck, with proper gearing it will do fine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Smile Tacoma 4 cyl with 17 ft Casita

Pulls the 2800 pounds fine uphill, but I stay out of overdrive or the trans shifts constantly with grade changes. I definitely would not pull over mountains without electric brakes and a transmission cooler - ATF breaks down really fast with too much heat.
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
I am new here, and while I haven't pulled a scamp with my toyota, I have towed small enclosed bike trailers, and 5x8 utility trailers loaded to capacity over 80 from Reno to the bay, as well as all over the Reno/sparks area. I have a 1988 toyota 4x4 with the 22RE and 5 speed transmission. It just turned 339,000 miles, and I would not think twice about driving it to New York and Back tomorrow. In my opinion there is not a more reliable engine made. I also race off road, and while I am racing, my crew uses my Toyota as a chase vehicle. So a portion of those miles are in off road conditions, and its pulled many off road cars off the course. Its no powerhouse, but it will go anywhere at any time.. Never left me stranded..

At 145,000 miles your toy is barely broken in. as long as you don't mind downshifting for the mountain passes, you should have no issues at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberic View Post
Howdy!

Cheers,
Eric
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #20

Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Registry
Having downsized from a 21' mini motor home on 1ton chassis with a heroic 22R-E (6100 lbs empty), I think any well cared for and tuned Toy is more than capable.
I sure pushed mine hard up and Dow the mountains of the east. Just don't expect to keep up with traffic. Enjoy the rare passing of a Semi up a long grade. : )
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp