1996 Subaru Legacy AWD pull 13 scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Moore View Post
I did replace the radiator during the trip, and that helped a lot. I think the cooling system is marginal, and wish there were a heavier duty radiator available.
I think you will find the newer Outbacks (about 2006 onwards) with the higher tow rating actually have a large and better cooling system.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Although I never pulled a Scamp with a Subaru, I was licensed for just about every truck in the Army inventory to include semi's. I think I'll do ok in the hills. I'll take it real easy figure out any limitations as I go. There's a road I know between Sheridan and Cody WY thru the Big Horns that should test the rig pretty well.

Sam it sounds like you had quite an adventure! I appreciate the input and will watch for indications of engine or xmsn overheating. How many days were you gone? I have in-laws in VA. In fact my wife's from there. That's on our short list for places to go.

Tom

Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think you will find the newer Outbacks (about 2006 onwards) with the higher tow rating actually have a large and better cooling system.
Carol, I checked with the dealer and they said our xmsn does not need a cooler. They said the entire cooling system in the 2011 Forester should have no problem with towing if we stuck to the limitations in the manual. We will. Thx!

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #32

Name: Sam
Trailer: 85 scamp 13
Virginia
Tom,
We skipped the Bighorns and went north out of Yellowstone, having heard about those grades. I don't know how we would have done.
We were away about 35 days, averaged 18 mpg, and would do (most of) it again. This country is huge, beautiful, and much of it is dry and hot. June is a great month for wildflowers everywhere. We took many pics, had the time of our lives, and met several interesting people, including two instances of chancing to camp next to folks that turned out to be friends of friends. Small world.
There is no place like home.
Sam
Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #33

Michigan
Sam,
I was right. You did have a great time. I hope to do the same thing you just did. Hitch the Scamp to the Subie and go for it! The country out west is awesome. I fell in love with Wyoming while hunting mulies and motor goats. (Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope for non-hunters). My wife and I spent 10 days there years ago, and she was as impressed as I was. I also never found a desert I didn't like either, from the Mojave and Chihuahuan to the Sahara. That surprised me, after growing up in MI. If I had to pick a favorite place, it would be somewhere I haven't been yet. I'll let you know when I get there. It's all about the quest.

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Space-wise you certainly could sleep in the van. The drawbacks include air movement (not so many opening windows, and no screens to keep out bugs), no bathroom on board, and no coffeepot within 2 steps of the bed.

I tried camping out of a Windstar van one summer, about 15 years ago. It wasn't fun.

However, if you ever needed to leave the Scamp off at a repair shop for a day and night, at least you have an affordable backup sleeping option!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp