1996 Subaru Legacy AWD pull 13 scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: currently shopping
Utah
1996 Subaru Legacy AWD pull 13 scamp?

Hi folks. Can a 1996 Subaru Legacy AWD pull a 13ft scamp? This is Not an Outback model. I typically don't fill water in the scamp. The engine is either a 2.2 or 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Thanks
arashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Chrisy
Trailer: Researching
Florida
I would love to know this as well! I have a 2008 Outback and am looking at a 16 foot Scamp!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
SeekerOfTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I am not sure how you would find out towing capacity for a '96, but Trailer Life publishes tow capacities for every year from 2000 here: Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

Understand they do the best they can, but watch the footnotes, and see if you can find a secondary source for any info you get there.

Best of luck to you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I don't recall if the 1996 legacy had a towing capacity but the 1998 was only 1000lbs with a manual transmission. A 13' Scamp will weight approx. between 1600/1900lbs loaded.

We have someone here who tows a 13' Scamp with a newer Legacy with a higher towing capacity and they have reported a few issues. A big one is clearance. The hitch sits much lower on the Legacy than an Outback and they have reported grounding out over dumps. They also reported that they had to install the brake controller under the steering wheel due to lack of other reasonable spots to mount it. Having it in a spot where you can't see it and reach easily without taking your eyes off the road when its really needed is never a good thing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Certainly you "Can" pull it, but is is "Safe" and "Should" you tow a 13' Scamp with it???? Please don't expect anyone here to suggest towing over manufacturers limits, if you want to do that you will be on your own.....

Why don't you try calling Subaru and have them look up the original specifications and follow those, especially because you are talking about an 18 y.o. passenger vehicle. Unfortunately, from what information is available, you won't like the answer.

BTW: If you already have said Scamp, get it ready for a trip and get it weighed....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Trailer Life guides aren't perfect. The 2008 guide lists my Highlander's limit as 3500 lb, when it's really 5000 lb.

Towing 13'ers with Subarus is quite common. 16s, not so much, but still it's been done.... however, the big bug in the pudding is the 200 lb hitch weight limit that's so common amongst the Subies. Really a 13' is the better choice. And if you want to drive the Rocky Mountains, you might not like even a 13'er back there, because some of those long steep grades at high altitude will really slow you down.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
And if you want to drive the Rocky Mountains, you might not like even a 13'er back there, because some of those long steep grades at high altitude will really slow you down.

And, then there is coming down the other side.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi,
Carol H. was referring to me. I tow a 13' Scamp with a 2008 Legacy. See my avatar and my registry page as well as attached photo (Zion National Park). You can also see my previous postings by doing a search under the FGRV Search button. (go to the bottom of the drop-down window for the Google search) The issues Carol mentioned are minor. We LOVE our Subaru and we LOVE our Scamp and we LOVE towing the Scamp with the Subaru.
Attached Thumbnails
115.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The Trailer Life guides aren't perfect.
I wholeheartedly agree Mike, which is why I suggested a secondary source for verification in my post. I find the guides helpful, but certainly not always accurate!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

Gotta say, Carol brings up some good points and, FWIW, the TV in post #8 looks a tad low at the hitch, and much more so for the Scamp.

That said, I can't see how recommending pulling a Scamp with a 2008 vehicle sheds any light whatsoever on doing so with the a 1996 vehicle that is similar in name only. At least one would hope that changes and improvements were made in those 12 years.

Again, go to the source, either your owners manual or Subaru, no others count, especially with your insurance company, or the other guys attorney, should there be an accident.

Robert
(Raa-bert)

Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I towed a 13' Ventura with a 2001 legacy (auto) and a 2003 legacy outback (5sp). I found that the power was marginal but the real problem was the frontal area of the Ventura, which is a streamlined "brick". The Scamp is much more streamlined and should tow better. The tongue weight is also a limiting factor but careful loading of the trailer can help there. I think the towing on the 2001 Legacy was like 1500lbs and the 2003 outback was 3000 (both with brakes). Both worked but you ran out of power pretty quickly. I went to a 2003 F150 and then replaced the Ventura with a Casita 17 SD.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
I went to a 2003 F150 and then replaced the Ventura with a Casita 17 SD.
What kind of F150 do you have? I have a 2001 Super Cab XLT 4.6L 4wd that we have been pulling our ParkLiner with. This weekend it's going in the shop for rear load leveler shocks. When I bought it last October I put all new brakes all around, new front ball joints, and shorty ceramic coated headers on it as it had an exhaust leak and I wanted something better than stock manifolds. It sure tows well. I've got maybe 106,000 miles (170,000 km) on it.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Gotta say, Carol brings up some good points and, FWIW, the TV in post #8 looks a tad low at the hitch, and much more so for the Scamp.

That said, I can't see how recommending pulling a Scamp with a 2008 vehicle sheds any light whatsoever on doing so with the a 1996 vehicle that is similar in name only. At least one would hope that changes and improvements were made in those 12 years.

As Bob suggest there were lots of changes in regards to engine, transmission and body style that took place between 1996 and the 2008 on the Legacy resulting in two very different vehicles.

The two big ones being that the 1996 had a 2.2L with 135 hp @ 5400rpm and the 2008 on the other hand had a 2.5L with 170 hp @ 6000 rpm. The torque number is an important fact in regards to towing ability as well and there is an equally as big difference between the two model years in that regard as well.

The other big change is that the 1996 Legacy does not appear to have a tow rating or if it did it was very low (call a Subaru dealer to confirm) and the 2008 does have a tow rating. Between 1996 and 2008 there were changes to the body style and as a result the ground clearance between the two model years changed, so its very probable that some changes took place in regards to the rear suspension and or axles as well which can/will change a vehicles towing capability.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I posted #8. The best advice is to talk to people who know your car AND your trailer. As to the comment about our low hitch. It is at the correct height according to Scamp and it IS tilted slightly low for better towing according to the Scamp manufacturer instructions. We bought our trailer new and picked it up at the factory as the avatar indicates.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Subaru towing

We towed Homelet with our 2000 Subaru 5spd. It had a tow rating of 2000# and Homelet weighs 1840# loaded.
We now tow Homelet with our 2014 Subaru CVT. It has a tow rating of 2700#.
Your tow rating should be listed in your auto Owner's Manual.
Or check your door post:
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC3497 (Small).JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Aaron, if you decide your vehicle isn't up to the task after listening to all this advice, look carefully before you replace it. As you can see, our Scamp is still on order. One more month. We plan to tow our 13 Standard with our 2011 Subaru Forester. The owners manual says the towing limit is 2,400 lbs with a tongue weight limit of 200 lbs. We picked options with that in mind. We'll load it accordingly.

As you know, Subaru makes substantial changes to each line every few years. The newest version of the Forester will only handle 1,500 lbs. I was sad to see that. It would seem like they went backwards. Not sure why? Maybe a smaller engine in the quest for better fuel mileage? I hope our Forester lasts a long time, but if it has to be replaced, I'd switch to the Outback. I do understand the loyalty to the brand. The Subaru AWD is outstanding! None better in the snow IMHO. Subie drivers have been known to wave at stuck snow plows in these parts, hehe.

Good luck in your search for knowledge. The towing limit topic evokes strong reaction in this forum. You'll see what I mean if you do a search. Convictions are strongly held. They are based on printed matter, and years of experience. Study it and make your own decisions. Personally, I would tend to err on the safe side. If not just for me, but the other drivers around you. Nobody wants to be collateral damage in the natural selection process.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #17

Well said Tom....
To add a bit:

The big hit on towing with a Subaru's is it's tongue weight limit. I, for one, would not suggest towing a 2800 lbs trailer with 200 or less lbs on the tongue.

A friend of my ex-wife in WA bought a new Subaru only to find that it has a 1000 lb limit.... as they said in the song, "How low can you go?"

Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi,
We LOVE our Subaru and we LOVE our Scamp and we LOVE towing the Scamp with the Subaru.
Your rig looks great Gilda and knowing how well cars can be as TV's I believe you when you say it tows so well. Thnxs for posting the pic. I added it to my scrapbook.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A friend of my ex-wife in WA bought a new Subaru only to find that it has a 1000 lb limit.... as they said in the song, "How low can you go?"
Without knowing which Subaru was purchased or what year I will comment that a 1000lb limit is pretty well the standard tow rating on most Subaru Foresters and Outbacks for many years, if the trailer has no brakes. If the trailer has brakes the rating is as with many tow vehicles often higher.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I believe you're correct Carol. I know that when we bought our 2011 Forester; the tow limits were indeed 200 lbs tongue weight and 2,400 lbs total weight. In 2011 the Outback was limited to 2,700 or 3,000 depending on engine choice. With no trailer brakes, the total weight was restricted to 1,000 lbs. for either model. The new 2014 Forester is now limited to 1,500 lbs total. and the Outback is still rated to pull 2,700 lbs or 3,000 lbs based on engine size.

I am fairly certain our 2011 Forester should be up to the task for our Scamp 13 Std. with front couch. We did opt for A/C and awning at the last minute due to our daughter and SIL moving to FL, but those options are more or less centered over the axle and shouldn't contribute to the tongue weight too much. We DID get the brakes. We're light packers and much of our camping equipment was purchased with weight in mind. I'm hoping our Real World Trailer Weight will be under 2,000. I will be sure to weigh in on this once we get some first hand experience.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp