1998 cadillac tow with 1978 17' boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 17 ft Boler
i am new to this forum.I am also new for towing.anybody can give some comments for this set up?
1998 cadillac deville tow 1978 17' boler?I am not sure I will get any problem or no.
any speaking would be appreciated.
thanks lot in advance
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Look in your Owner's Manual for the Caddy -- It should have a tow limit that GM thinks is right.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Look in your Owner's Manual for the Caddy -- It should have a tow limit that GM thinks is right.
I ask some towing equipments dealer,they said Caddy tow capacity rating is 3500lb.and the 17' boler GVWR is 2500lb,I am not sure it is correct.I don't know boler GVWR is loaded or unloaded.
thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Looking up the 1998 Cadillac Deville on www.hitch-web.com, they show Class II hitches available for it. These are rated at 3500#.

However, I would want to know more from the vehicle manual:

1) Is that for sure the towing capacity for your car;

2) what is the maximum tongue weight;

3) At what point are trailer brakes recommended or required (they can easily be required a lower than max tow rating);

4) Does anything need to be subtracted from the max rated towing weight, such as passengers or gear in vehicle (after a certain weight?).

5) Is any additional gear, such as a transmission cooler, recommended or required.

Also keep in mind that most eggs are rated a bit "light" from the factory, and a loaded egg is nearly always going to weigh more, and in some cases quite a bit more. Or the tongue weight might be more than you'd think.

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Here is a photo of the Cadillac DeVille I towed with for 8 Months. I don't think the DeVille is robust enough to tow a 17 ft for an extended period of time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deville_Casita_1__Medium_.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	19832

The Casita weight was 3,000 lbs and with the Class II hitch I had to add weight to the rear of the Casita to keep the hitch weight at around 350 lbs. I could have used a WDH that raised the hitch rating to 500 lbs, but decided to purchase the Escalade instead.

OBTW, it was a 2001 DHS Model.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Looking up the 1998 Cadillac Deville on www.hitch-web.com, they show Class II hitches available for it. These are rated at 3500#.

However, I would want to know more from the vehicle manual:

1) Is that for sure the towing capacity for your car;

2) what is the maximum tongue weight;

3) At what point are trailer brakes recommended or required (they can easily be required a lower than max tow rating);

4) Does anything need to be subtracted from the max rated towing weight, such as passengers or gear in vehicle (after a certain weight?).

5) Is any additional gear, such as a transmission cooler, recommended or required.

Also keep in mind that most eggs are rated a bit "light" from the factory, and a loaded egg is nearly always going to weigh more, and in some cases quite a bit more. Or the tongue weight might be more than you'd think.

Raya
I don't have owners' mannaul,so I couldn't know what is the exactly how manufacture rated th tow capacity.I went to Uhaul store,they told me it should be fine,and they said I even don't need tranny cooler,electric brakes,I am confused at all.
I don't know what is going to do?still using old caddy or get another new one?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is a photo of the Cadillac DeVille I towed with for 8 Months. I don't think the DeVille is robust enough to tow a 17 ft for an extended period of time.

Attachment 19832

The Casita weight was 3,000 lbs and with the Class II hitch I had to add weight to the rear of the Casita to keep the hitch weight at around 350 lbs. I could have used a WDH that raised the hitch rating to 500 lbs, but decided to purchase the Escalade instead.

OBTW, it was a 2001 DHS Model.
your trailer Casita weight is 3000lbs?but boler GVWR only 2400lbs,that should be include water,propane etc.so if I leave water tank empty,probably boler dry weight is below 2000lbs,Is it possible?so if it is like what I am assuming,caddy maybe work out,is it alright?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

I did add a transmission cooler and a brake controller. The DeVille got better gas milage (29 not towing and 17.5 towing) than the Escalade (22 not towing and 14.5 towing).

DeVille rides a whole lot better too.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
That just means the HITCH is rated for 3,500 lbs...

Rock, you need to get a copy of the Owner's Manual or call GM (Not a dealer, but the customer service people) and ask specifically what tow capacity your Caddy has. You will get lots of OPINIONS from lots of people, but GM has the rating.

It is NOT a good sign that the highest hitch available is only a Class II, so you need to get more specifics. It may be a case of there only being sheet metal to attach the hitch...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yep, that's why that was only the beginning of my post. Many more questions that should be answered.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

Wow!! OM for Caddy is $28! OM for Ford Truck is free...

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Sty...KJFC2KK85VN090E
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #12

Quote:
That just means the HITCH is rated for 3,500 lbs...

Rock, you need to get a copy of the Owner's Manual or call GM (Not a dealer, but the customer service people) and ask specifically what tow capacity your Caddy has. You will get lots of OPINIONS from lots of people, but GM has the rating.

It is NOT a good sign that the highest hitch available is only a Class II, so you need to get more specifics. It may be a case of there only being sheet metal to attach the hitch...
hi,everybody:
I just got owners' manual from other guys.
It says total trailer weight including load should be never more than 3900lbs.It also needs trailer brake,upgrade high performance radiator with oil cooler,I am not sure it means tranny oil cooler or engine oil cooler.It also says the GCVW=curb weight+passenger's weight+cargo weight+trailer weight<=8253lbs.

I checked trailer hitch installation instruction,Caddy trailer hitch installation looks like what you guys said,attched hitch to sheet metal,I am worrying about hitch can stay there solid if I am driving on high way or up hill.I attched instruction.can you give me some idea about it?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N36267_cadillac_deville_hitch.pdf (145.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
hi,everybody:
I just got owners' manual from other guys.
It says total trailer weight including load should be never more than 3900lbs.It also needs trailer brake,upgrade high performance radiator with oil cooler,I am not sure it means tranny oil cooler or engine oil cooler.It also says the GCVW=curb weight+passenger's weight+cargo weight+trailer weight<=8253lbs.

I checked trailer hitch installation instruction,Caddy trailer hitch installation looks like what you guys said,attched hitch to sheet metal,I am worrying about hitch can stay there solid if I am driving on high way or up hill.I attched instruction.can you give me some idea about it?

I am talking about sheet metal is exhaust hanger.I looked at my caddy's underneath,they are like sheet metal.
thank you very much,every one!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
I did add a transmission cooler and a brake controller. The DeVille got better gas milage (29 not towing and 17.5 towing) than the Escalade (22 not towing and 14.5 towing).

DeVille rides a whole lot better too.

thanks lot.have you remember the trailer hitch was attached to sheet metal?exhaust hanger
Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #15

Oil cooler in the radiator is usually the transmission oil cooler, not engine oil cooler.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #16

Who needs a OM when there's AllData.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
It says total trailer weight including load should be never more than 3900lbs.
Does the narrative in the manual state the 3900 pound figure directly?
The .pdf has a block in the upper right corner that states:

"3500 LB MAX GROSS TRAILER WT
300 LB MAX TONGUE WT
DO NOT EXCEED TOWING VEHICLE RATINGS"

I hope you are NOT adding 3500 and 300 together.

It looks to me that 3500 Lbs is the absolute maximum allowed by this hitch. The 300 Lb maximum [b]tongue weight should be subtracted from that, to figure there should be no more than 3200 Lb [b]axle weight.

Tags
boler