2 or 4 wheel chocks for a single axle trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Level spot, no chock.
If on a slope, chock down hill side of both tires.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Why would you say that? Are you sensible or paranoid?
Conservative

Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Level?

Level is relative, a trailer is a see saw and our trailer rolled on our level drive way. I assume it naturally wants to fall to the front since it's tongue heavy. Regardless of why it did.

Chocks cost little, take hardly any space, and as was suggested kids can play with them and dogs chew on them. They are Ginny's responsibility and like the testing of the tail lights become part of the shared process of preparing the trailer for stop and go.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I use to only do one side when on a fairly level spot as I also keep the rear stablizers down and the front tongue wheel in a small holder that stops it from rolling as well .... that was until on day the trailer desided to take a drive on its own (although its thought that someone may have pushed on it very slightly before hand). Still havent really figured out how it actually managed to do it but it did! Another lesson learned the hard way!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I use to only do one side when on a fairly level spot as I also keep the rear stablizers down and the front tongue wheel in a small holder that stops it from rolling as well .... that was until on day the trailer desided to take a drive on its own (although its thought that someone may have pushed on it very slightly before hand). Still havent really figured out how it actually managed to do it but it did! Another lesson learned the hard way!
So it took off with the stabilizers down? Each of my stabilizers is rated for more than the entire weight of the trailer. How many people chock their tow vehicle when it's parked? Have you ever seen a parking pall?

It just occured to me that the left coasters would for sure be wasting their time with wheel chocks since the hillside is more likely to go and take the trailer, chocks and all!

When we stayed at Stone Mountain GA. I used the chocks and stabilizers, but my wife wouldn't rest until I found two huge rocks to put behind the chocks! The camping spot was backed right up to a little cliff overlooking the lake! It was safe with the chocks and stabilizers,but if you need a little peace of mind, what could it hurt? I left the Rocks for the next camper!
Attached Thumbnails
05 stone mt 036.jpg   05 stone mt  039.jpg  

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Tennessee
Registry
The added safety of 4 gives piece of mind and only takes an extra minute to add. A very tragic incident happened at a campground here in Memphis just last weekend. A couple was hitching up their camper to leave. The camper started to roll so the wife attempted to jump in the truck and apply the emergency break. She was hit by the door and was knocked to the ground and killed when the trailer rolled over her. This was on very flat level ground. Perhaps keeping all the wheels chocked until they were certain everything was secure could have prevented this horrible accident.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use one chock, the BAL single axle chock.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28020-Sing.../dp/B001UGPEJA

And, on the opposite side I use a BAL light trailer tire leveler.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci and John View Post
The added safety of 4 gives piece of mind and only takes an extra minute to add. A very tragic incident happened at a campground here in Memphis just last weekend. A couple was hitching up their camper to leave. The camper started to roll so the wife attempted to jump in the truck and apply the emergency break. She was hit by the door and was knocked to the ground and killed when the trailer rolled over her. This was on very flat level ground. Perhaps keeping all the wheels chocked until they were certain everything was secure could have prevented this horrible accident.
I wrote a very astute response to your post, but since the joke I made earlier was left totally uncomprehended, (picture the jesture made by Peanut ,Jeff Dunham's puppet), I realized that it too would be misconstrued, and so decided to remain exasperated.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So it took off with the stabilizers down? Each of my stabilizers is rated for more than the entire weight of the trailer.
Yes it did Floyd. I had placed 2" high wooden blocks under the stablizers as my stablizers are not the long ones and with the smallest of slop at the rear they dont reach the ground. It had been raining so my theory is that the wood or grass the block was on got wet and slippery allowing the stablizer on the side I did not have the wheels chocked to slid off the block. The trailer did a little spin of no more than a 2 feet - but those 2 feet where not good as there was a big log beside the trailer which actually stopped it from going further - good news is that the trailer only had a small 2" scratch on it as a result - could have been way worse.

Had I not had the front tongue wheel in a holder which was stopping the whole thing from doing a roll backwards and had I been on more of a slop I have no doudt the trailer would have gone further. When the trailer spun the wheel that did have chocks on it went on an angle so that the chocks where not actually directly behind the wheel any longer.

The intreasting thing is I had already spent 2 nights in the trailer and it had not rocking or moving in anyway prior. I wasnt present when it took off but my understanding is it took off when someone simply stepped out of it.
When I hook up I do leave chocks on the wheels and leave the stablizers part way down - the reason I leave the stablizers part way down is for when I am on a big slop and need to crank the tongue up really high I dont want to risk the trailer goimg down on its back end. The chocks stay in place as I have a friend who had the experence of going for a trailer ride of about 15' without being hooked to the tow. She had been putting things away in the trailer and her partner started to hook up the trailer - the whole thing took off in reverse before he got it hooked over the ball.

Edit note: since above took place I dont use wooden blocks anymore - I use the yellow plastic leveling blocks stacked instead.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol,

I'm with you. The 4 chocks are the first thing down before we disconnect from the ball and the last thing up after the ball is attached.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
One rush like the trailer rolling forward is a sufficient reminder to do it each time, particularly if you are between the trailer and tow vehicle.
I know that rush all to well! Once in a long border wait I decide to take the dog for a short walk. Got between the trailer and the tow & open the hatch & dog jumped out when the driver started to pull forward - day dreaming and forgot about the trailer being back there. Moved *real* fast and the trailer only clipped the back of one of my legs.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
All of the sites I'll be using are going to be fairly level to start with.

Curious from a safety standpoint if most folks are chocking just one wheel or both?
Well, there you have it! Some use them all the time... uphill side, downhill side, and on the level.
Some use them only when and where they deem prudent.
Nobody has said whether they use them when overnighting with the tow vehicle attached.
So you are left right where you started...
Ultimately it's up to you to decide when it is prudent to use wheel chocks.

IMO; The good to come out of this discussion is to bring awareness to those who have not considered all likely contingencies when setting up or breaking camp.
Happy camping, and don't forget the duct tape!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If I stay hooked to the tug, no chocks. If unhooking, usually just 2 chocks (I only carry 2 actual chocks)... but if I have any doubts due to the lay of the land, I have a couple of 2x4 chunks that I will add to the open spots. I guess I'm not paranoid, just prudent.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Yes, a great set of stories and approaches.

I'm simply adding 2 more chocks to my kit and will do both wheels all the time. Simple enough.

Tags
axle