2" tow hit for bike rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #1

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
2" tow hit for bike rack

Does anyone see any issues with welding a 2" receiver hitch onto the back trailer frame. I have a bike rack that I use to put on my car that I would still like to use with my trailer.
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm, are you thinking just to the bumper or adding metal and brackets to the frame and THEN the receiver hitch for the bike rack?

Have you ever followed an all molded towable? Watch the rear bumper, they bounce around. Add more weight to the rear end, you may end up with sway (light hitch), but more importantly... make sure where and what you are welding is up to the task.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Scamp offers the 2" receiver for a bike rack as an option. I have not looked at it closely since we are not bringing bikes along, but I think it is welded to the back end of the frame. Definitely not the bumper. I'll try to post a picture of it's underside tomorrow.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Perhaps some Trillium owners can attest to the strength (or lack thereof) of the place you want to attach the receiver. Some brands of trailers are ok with this, some are not (and have dumped the bikes on the highway).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
This location can be very hard on the bike rack, too. Many aren't approved for use on a trailer or RV. Just installed one last week on our CR-V....had a sticker right on it: "Not for use on trailers or RVs"
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
I think that answers my question. I have other options I think I'll look at. Don't want to spread our bikes on the highway!
Thanks for you advice
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
The spare tire of my trillium is directly mounted to the rear bumper, as i'm sure most are. I climb up on top of that tire all the time to mess with/clean my solar panel, lots. I'm about 175#. My bikes weigh less than 30# each (pretty heavy by modern bike standards) add another 50# for a good rack (google one-up), take into account the added leverage of the extended beam and bouncing around. I'm still pretty confident that this would be fine. A light tongue is a major concern; 2 batteries and 2 propane tanks takes care of that. And yes, you're right, you're 4 banger Subi. aint going to cut it anymore.
I haven't gone this route yet. I'm more concerned with departure angle and initial cost. For now my bikes ride ride on top of the tug; aerodynamics be damned.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Scott I like your thought on aerodynamics over safety as I don't want to have to dodge or run over something that fell off someones vehicle, thanks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Scamp 2" receiver for bike rack

Here is the receiver welded to the frame and bumper on my 19D. Scamp uses a couple of angle brackets and the welds are as long as possible, as can be seen. If I was using it, I would surely have a rope going around the spare tire to keep the bikes safe with some redundancy. "Belt and suspenders".
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0598.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Here is the receiver welded to the frame and bumper on my 19D. Scamp uses a couple of angle brackets and the welds are as long as possible, as can be seen.
I will add that the frame member to which the front end of the receiver is attached is NOT on the stock Scamp. When I ordered the hitch receiver kit from the factory, they included the additional frame member along with the receiver and angle pieces.

There are a lot of threads on this topic, and I would recommend anyone thinking about how to carry bikes do a search and read as much as you can before jumping in. There is no perfect solution, but at least you will understand the pros and cons of each choice. And there are some pretty creative folks on this forum!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Hitch Extender Bike Rack

I have seen 2-bike racks mounted on a "hitch extender" that places them between the TV and the trailer. As long as your TV can take this extra weight, it should be OK.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Caution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
I have seen 2-bike racks mounted on a "hitch extender" that places them between the TV and the trailer.
Be aware that adding a hitch extender reduces the maximum tongue weight allowed, often by half. And you are adding the weight of the rack and bikes to the tongue. That's going to rule out this option for a lot of TVs, I suspect.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #13

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
After two years of mounting ans dismounting our two full size bikes inside, mostly restricting access to everything else while the bikes are in there, we started considering leaving the bikes home.

My biker son suggested 20" wheel folding bikes. I thought of clown bikes but did some research and found they are really pretty advanced and ride fine for our casual uses. Two of them folded up take about 2/3 of the space in the back of the Jeep with the back seat up. They are each roughly 24" x 28" x 12". We don't have to get them out unless we are going for a ride. Folding takes less than 30 seconds.

Not what the OP asked but another way to skin the cat...
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote