2000 cassita bearing failure - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For those reading this thread Dexter easy lube axles used on Casita trailers do not have cotter pins! They are two types of retainers, the first being a plate held on by the nut with fingers holding the nut. The second version is a crown like thing held in position by the dust cover. (what happens when the dust cover comes off?)
As I understand it they have reverted to the older version of retaining the nut.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #22

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
For those reading this thread Dexter easy lube axles used on Casita trailers do not have cotter pins! They are two types of retainers, the first being a plate held on by the nut with fingers holding the nut. The second version is a crown like thing held in position by the dust cover. (what happens when the dust cover comes off?)
As I understand it they have reverted to the older version of retaining the nut.

Joe
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...dlenut2-NW.jpg

The spindle nut on an EZ lube axle is held on by a clip that snaps over the nut and has tabs that grip the back of the nut. I have taken mine apart several times and the system is OK, but just OK-not great. If you are careful when you take the hub apart, the clip can be reused. I can see someone prying or pulling without looking at the assembly and ruining the clip or not reinstalling the clip properly having a problem. I carry spares and am comfortable with the set up, but I can also see how the clip could be a problem if it is not used exactly the way it was designed. The dust cover has nothing to do with holding the nut on the spindle.

I'm old school and would rather have the cotter pin. This design by Dexter allows more adjustment options. Maybe that is why they did it

Edited to add-- the above information is for the 3500# axle. Some of the lower capacity Dexter EZ Lube axle have always used a cotter pin as a retaining device.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some Timken bearings are made in the USA

There are two types of bearing nut locknut retainers, those used up to 2002 and those after. On the Casita forum there have been some who after loosing the dust cover soon loose the new style nut retainer too. It's rumored they have switched back to the "D" washer and older retainer. See below.

Despite what anyone says, a few were proven wrong on another forum it was discussed at length on that Timken still makes automotive bearings (read trailers too) in four plants in the US.

Go to ebay and look up Timken bearing sets 4 & 17, they fit the 3500# Dexter axle on the Casita and they are displayed in such a way so you can see MADE IN USA.

Timken's "Sets" consist of the bearing and race.

Set 4
Timken SET4 Wheel Bearing Set | eBay

Set 17
Wheel Bearing and Race Set-Race Set Front Inner,Rear Inner TIMKEN SET17 | eBay

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Retainer.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote