2000 cassita bearing failure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: casita
Florida
2000 cassita bearing failure

I've had a bearing failure on the interstate. Found koa that allowEd me to park overnight so I could get parts. It's Sunday night. Will Camper world have the proper bearings? I'm in Florida north of tampa.
Sean Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Any auto parts store should have them. Read the numbers off the bearings and races, unless somebody posts them here.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Florida
I had to leave the trailer and hour abandoned a half away. Could not pull bearings. Was hoping someone would know the correct bearings?
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
I had to leave the trailer and hour abandoned a half away. Could not pull bearings. Was hoping someone would know the correct bearings?
You don't say what size trailer, but if it's a 16 or 17 with the 3500# axle the bearings are L68149 and L44649. Though I don't have the number of the races, I would replace them also. The parts house should be able to match the bearings with the proper race.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

Florida
I'm sorry, it's a 17 foot. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A good auto parts store would be the most likely place to get them. Best to take the old ones in for comparison. Don't forget new seals.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Replacement inner and outer bearings and races for a Dexter 3,500 Lb. #10 axle:

Brake Size: 10" X 2 1/4"
Brake Shoe Replacement Kit #: K71-047-00
Brake Magnet Kit: K71-104-00
Hub Size: 4 or 5 Bolt Lug Pattern
Axle: 3,500 Lb. Capacity

Bearings: (Cup/Cone)
Inner: L68111 / L68149
Outer: L44610 / L44649

Grease seal: 58846
Outer diameter: 2.565"
Inner diameter: 1.719"
Grease cap: 1.986"

My personal choice for bearing grease: Valvoline VV985 SynPower Synthetic Grease.

NOTE: When you grease the bearings, just grease the bearings and races. Do not completely fill the hub void space with grease. There needs to be a portion of unfilled space in the hub's void to dissipate heat. Completely filling the hub, (often happens a lot with power lube guns,) is not good.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Florida
Thank you, very timely I just walked in parts store!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is just a suggestion, but if those bearings are "seized" on the shaft, you MAY consider having a mechanic with more tools come out or have it hauled in to a shop somewhere with pullers/torch etc.

When you get time, it would be interesting to know the "history" on those bearings-- the last lube/inspection....how many miles....age, etc. You dont hear of alot of "failures" on here...just people requesting info on when/how often, bearings etc.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #10

Florida
Thanks for the help. There was no damage to hub or spindle. Everything came apart easily and cleaned up well.
Used the part numbers given above at my parts house and they fit perfectly.
The Cassita is a 2000 model 17'. I have no idea of it history before we purchased it. The bearings had been greased. I had checked them for heat not 2 hours before and they were not over heating. It was 98° yesterday and we had been on a section of it 75 that is under construction and very uneven, rough pavement for many miles.
The front bearings were totally gone as well as the cap and rubber cover for the grease zero. Not sure at what point that happened, but I expect when the bearing failed and the hub started its wobble.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm a little confused here.... So you're saying the bearings had parted ways??? As in....GONE? As well as the grease cap/cover?? Wish you'd gotten a pic...but being down on the road is not a place you wish to sit and document.....

Quote:
Thanks for the help. There was no damage to hub or spindle. Everything came apart easily and cleaned up well.
Used the part numbers given above at my parts house and they fit perfectly.
The Cassita is a 2000 model 17'. I have no idea of it history before we purchased it. The bearings had been greased. I had checked them for heat not 2 hours before and they were not over heating. It was 98° yesterday and we had been on a section of it 75 that is under construction and very uneven, rough pavement for many miles.
The front bearings were totally gone as well as the cap and rubber cover for the grease zero. Not sure at what point that happened, but I expect when the bearing failed and the hub started its wobble.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

Florida
What I meant was the actual rollers into the bearing were gone. The 2 pieces that contain them were there. The rear bearing was fine. The whole incident was fairly quick. From the smoke being observed to pulling over to limping to the koa that was so helpful in letting me leave the trailer.I was cringing pulling it tge 2 miles I had to take it. I could just imagine it destroying the hub or spindle.
Pictures and a video would have been great, but not when your with your family on a crowded highway and not sure what your going to do.
There is a picture of exactLyndhurst what mine looked like on the casita forum page,. I saw it when looking for instructions. Surprisingly similar view as mine.
Thanks again guys!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I always carry two sets of bearings, races and seals. Don't ever expect to use them but it's cheap insurance.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #14

Washington
Registry
Ditto. I hope I never have to replace them in the field, but I have them, along with my toolbox and a can of grease just in case.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Was the cotter pin still on place when you disassembled the failed bearings. I would take the time to do the other side too. since the last person in there probably did both sides. The failed bearing brand is likely to be the same on the non failed side. I too carry extra bearings and races and grease. I hope to never need them. My Scamp 13 uses a pretty small set of bearings that are not the size commonly hanging on a shelf in a chain type parts store. Napa usually has them but they are getting fewer and further apart these days.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Ditto. I hope I never have to replace them in the field, but I have them, along with my toolbox and a can of grease just in case.
DITTO : We had a boat trailer bearing go out in the middle of nowhere outside of Sioux Lookout ,Ontario Canada
It was a Saturday afternoon when everything was closed for the weekend and unfortunately Monday was The Queen's Holiday
We ended up driving 250 miles back into the US on Sunday to get a set of bearings and installed them on the side of a desserted gravel road.
Never again did we go fishing in Canada without spare bearings , seals , grease ,tools ,and a boat jack.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It seems that trailer bearings used by axle companies are sometimes of very low quality. You don't see the same failure rate on automobile front wheel bearings that are very similar, but have to handle steering forces. Maybe the grease cakes when the trailer sits for long periods of time? Cars usually get the front bearings packed when doing a front brake job. It seems that bearing quality is a main variable. You don't see Timken bearings disintegrate. They are very worth the price premium. Use high quality grease, and recheck the bearing clearance/preload after running the trailer 50 miles. They will last many years.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
Timkin bearings and races are the best, and the only ones I buy. The worst ones you can ever buy are those "blister packs" of bearings from China. They're total junk.

Timkin now also produces their bearings in China as well these days, but they seem to keep a higher degree of quality control over the stuff with their name on it than the generic junk ones.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
This is just a suggestion, but if those bearings are "seized" on the shaft, you MAY consider having a mechanic with more tools come out or have it hauled in to a shop somewhere with pullers/torch etc.

When you get time, it would be interesting to know the "history" on those bearings-- the last lube/inspection....how many miles....age, etc. You dont hear of alot of "failures" on here...just people requesting info on when/how often, bearings etc.
FWIW, I had one fail two weeks ago myself. Last lube/inspection was six months ago....

+1 Inner race is not coming off easily. Fortunately, I found a trailer repair shop close by, limped there and dropped it off.

+10 Do both sides, consider the first failure a warning.

Mine is on a 1996 17' Casita Liberty.

In the future, I will carry spares, as a failure in BFE would be quite inconvenient!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
The Christian Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170307-135924.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	103550