2001 Nissan Pathfinder towing limit 3500 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Posts: 68
2001 Nissan Pathfinder towing limit 3500

Good morning,
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs.
I'm interested in seeing if anyone is using one as a tow vehicle and what they are towing - length and weight wise.

I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector. I have also installed something called "The missing link" which is a steel cross member that connects between 2 bolts on the steering and is supposed to stiffen up the frame.

I have just started looking at fiberglass trailers and am interested in knowing roughly how big a trailer I could tow. Years ago,we have had a 15 foot Surfside but I suspect that we would like something a little bigger.

Is there anywhere that actually gives you the weights of the various trailers - when empty?
Wayne
__________________

__________________
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brian Van Snell's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Posts: 387
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post

Is there anywhere that actually gives you the weights of the various trailers - when empty?
Wayne
Wayne:

You might want to start here:

Trailer Weighing at The Oregon Gathering

I think you need actual weights when loaded.

Brian
__________________

__________________
Brian & Maria
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug"|2003 Subaru Forester|2012 Toyota Highlander
Brian Van Snell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post
Good morning,
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs.
I'm interested in seeing if anyone is using one as a tow vehicle and what they are towing - length and weight wise.

I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector. I have also installed something called "The missing link" which is a steel cross member that connects between 2 bolts on the steering and is supposed to stiffen up the frame.

I have just started looking at fiberglass trailers and am interested in knowing roughly how big a trailer I could tow. Years ago,we have had a 15 foot Surfside but I suspect that we would like something a little bigger.

Is there anywhere that actually gives you the weights of the various trailers - when empty?
Wayne

Wayne............I too have a 2001 Pathfinder with the same engine and my owners manual says it has a 5000 pound tow rating. You may want to recheck your manual. I believe you have more towing capacity than 3500 pounds. Good luck.
__________________
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Posts: 68
Mike A,
You are correct. I deliberately understated the towing capacity to allow for all of the necessary "stuff" that a person hauls.
Water, food, clothing, bedding, bikes and associated goodies add up in a hurry.

Thanks for the update and reminder.

Wayne
__________________
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
3500 lbs is stock?

Quote "I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs."

Mr. Transmission has a great progressive transmission/transaxle cooler always a good idea. At speed the weight and air being pushed creates drag heating the transmission or transaxle.
2000 plus to 3500 lbs only needs a class II hitch; but electric brakes and a sway bar might also be a good idea.
Dry weight of most 17' bolers ranges from 2000 lbs. to 2560 lbs. depends on installed features. You would have no problems with these or bigger with 5000 lbs stock rating!

Quote: "There are many key features about the 'Escape' which make it lightweight and aerodynamic, keeping travel costs to a minimum. With a dry weight of only 2510lbs, the Escape 19’ has been designed specifically for mid sized vehicles such as SUVs and mid-sized trucks with a V6 engine or a minimum towing capacity of 4000lbs." http://escapetrailer.com/Products/19FootEscape.aspx

We used a Toyota Echo Sport 4 door sedan with a sway bar adapter on the draw bar to pull a small trailer: never loaded over 1000 lbs. for years. Worked fine but trailer brakes would have been a good idea.
Trailer brakes may have made the Echo's brakes lasted longer.

We now have a larger 17' trailer and use a Class III with Weight Distribution and sway bar setup. Car has a 7 pin setup to includes brakes.
__________________
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Posts: 68
Borden,
I had forgotten about the transmission cooler, thanks for the reminder. This is a " new" vehicle to me, my old one had a factory towing package, as did the last couple of vehicles. I'm starting from scratch with this one.
Wayne
__________________
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Quote: I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector.

I beleave the 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer bakes?

Our new car came with tow package installed; that included a 7 pin connector and installed proportional braking modual.
__________________
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Posts: 68
Borden,
The 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer brakes. Lights only
My 2001 had nothing. I have a brake controller and will have to wire in a separate brake wire then change or adapt the 4 pin to whatever style of trailer connnector that I chose that will allow brakes to be hooked up.
A lot simpler with factory, but when you buy used....

Wayne
__________________
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
Wayne,
etrailer has this connector and others . All in one.

Bill K




HM48470
Price: $19.95

Product Summary:
Wiring
Trailer Connectors
Vehicle End Connector
Universal


Product Specs:
7 Blade
4 Flat
5 Flat
Plug Only
Hopkins



This heavy-duty trailer connector socket has an outlet for 7-way, 5-way and 4-way flat plugs. A weatherproof, insulated lids cover the terminals. The cover is also easy to open and extra-durable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post
Borden,
The 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer brakes. Lights only
My 2001 had nothing. I have a brake controller and will have to wire in a separate brake wire then change or adapt the 4 pin to whatever style of trailer connnector that I chose that will allow brakes to be hooked up.
A lot simpler with factory, but when you buy used....

Wayne
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Posts: 68
Bill K,
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. Product looks good and is sure adaptable.
Wayne
__________________

__________________
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing capacity


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone towing a 16' with Nissan Frontier? Michael D Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 5 11-16-2009 11:20 AM
Towing over your limit, insurance, liability Ken C Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 33 11-20-2008 12:38 PM
Who's towing with a Nissan Murano? LSChilders Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 1 06-26-2008 02:22 AM
Nissan Pathfinder adrian General Chat 10 10-30-2007 08:30 AM
towing with a Nissan Murano Barb Mullan Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 03-10-2007 07:47 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.