2001 Nissan Pathfinder towing limit 3500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
2001 Nissan Pathfinder towing limit 3500

Good morning,
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs.
I'm interested in seeing if anyone is using one as a tow vehicle and what they are towing - length and weight wise.

I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector. I have also installed something called "The missing link" which is a steel cross member that connects between 2 bolts on the steering and is supposed to stiffen up the frame.

I have just started looking at fiberglass trailers and am interested in knowing roughly how big a trailer I could tow. Years ago,we have had a 15 foot Surfside but I suspect that we would like something a little bigger.

Is there anywhere that actually gives you the weights of the various trailers - when empty?
Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hill View Post

Is there anywhere that actually gives you the weights of the various trailers - when empty?
Wayne
Wayne:

You might want to start here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-42610.html

I think you need actual weights when loaded.

Brian
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Good morning,
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs.
I'm interested in seeing if anyone is using one as a tow vehicle and what they are towing - length and weight wise.

I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector. I have also installed something called "The missing link" which is a steel cross member that connects between 2 bolts on the steering and is supposed to stiffen up the frame.

I have just started looking at fiberglass trailers and am interested in knowing roughly how big a trailer I could tow. Years ago,we have had a 15 foot Surfside but I suspect that we would like something a little bigger.

Wayne

Wayne............I too have a 2001 Pathfinder with the same engine and my owners manual says it has a 5000 pound tow rating. You may want to recheck your manual. I believe you have more towing capacity than 3500 pounds. Good luck.
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Manitoba
Mike A,
You are correct. I deliberately understated the towing capacity to allow for all of the necessary "stuff" that a person hauls.
Water, food, clothing, bedding, bikes and associated goodies add up in a hurry.

Thanks for the update and reminder.

Wayne
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
3500 lbs is stock?

Quote "I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 auto with a factory stated towing limit of 3500 lbs."

Mr. Transmission has a great progressive transmission/transaxle cooler always a good idea. At speed the weight and air being pushed creates drag heating the transmission or transaxle.
2000 plus to 3500 lbs only needs a class II hitch; but electric brakes and a sway bar might also be a good idea.
Dry weight of most 17' bolers ranges from 2000 lbs. to 2560 lbs. depends on installed features. You would have no problems with these or bigger with 5000 lbs stock rating!

Quote: "There are many key features about the 'Escape' which make it lightweight and aerodynamic, keeping travel costs to a minimum. With a dry weight of only 2510lbs, the Escape 19’ has been designed specifically for mid sized vehicles such as SUVs and mid-sized trucks with a V6 engine or a minimum towing capacity of 4000lbs." http://escapetrailer.com/Products/19FootEscape.aspx

We used a Toyota Echo Sport 4 door sedan with a sway bar adapter on the draw bar to pull a small trailer: never loaded over 1000 lbs. for years. Worked fine but trailer brakes would have been a good idea.
Trailer brakes may have made the Echo's brakes lasted longer.

We now have a larger 17' trailer and use a Class III with Weight Distribution and sway bar setup. Car has a 7 pin setup to includes brakes.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

Manitoba
Borden,
I had forgotten about the transmission cooler, thanks for the reminder. This is a " new" vehicle to me, my old one had a factory towing package, as did the last couple of vehicles. I'm starting from scratch with this one.
Wayne
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote: I have installed a 5000 Reese hitch on the Nissan already along with plug in wiring - for the flat four connector.

I beleave the 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer bakes?

Our new car came with tow package installed; that included a 7 pin connector and installed proportional braking modual.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Manitoba
Borden,
The 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer brakes. Lights only
My 2001 had nothing. I have a brake controller and will have to wire in a separate brake wire then change or adapt the 4 pin to whatever style of trailer connnector that I chose that will allow brakes to be hooked up.
A lot simpler with factory, but when you buy used....

Wayne
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Wayne,
etrailer has this connector and others . All in one.

Bill K

HM48470
Price: $19.95

Product Summary:
Wiring
Trailer Connectors
Vehicle End Connector
Universal

Product Specs:
7 Blade
4 Flat
5 Flat
Plug Only
Hopkins

This heavy-duty trailer connector socket has an outlet for 7-way, 5-way and 4-way flat plugs. A weatherproof, insulated lids cover the terminals. The cover is also easy to open and extra-durable.

Quote:
Borden,
The 4 pin flat connector does not support trailer brakes. Lights only
My 2001 had nothing. I have a brake controller and will have to wire in a separate brake wire then change or adapt the 4 pin to whatever style of trailer connnector that I chose that will allow brakes to be hooked up.
A lot simpler with factory, but when you buy used....

Wayne
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #10

Manitoba
Bill K,
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. Product looks good and is sure adaptable.
Wayne

Tags
towing capacity