2005 toyota highlander yes or no? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
As narrow as a Prius is, and as wide as that trailer looks, I'm pretty sure the driver has no clue what might be coming up behind him!
A good point War Eagle and that is for sure a major safety issue. To think it would have been no problem slapping on a set of M'Kesh Mirrors.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #42

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
... There are many such hitches [Class II] with 2" receivers- the OEM hitch supplied by Toyota being one of them...
For what it's worth, here's what eTrailer.com had to say about them, "There are a few Class II hitches that have 2" x 2" receiver openings, but this is not common." But if Toyota offers one that fits, and that's what you want, then problem solved.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #43
MC1

Ontario
Also note historically Toyota has produced hitches of poor quality. Like most auto makers they are not experts when it comes to towing. Looking to the aftermarket in many cases gets access to the premium, quality parts.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Also note historically Toyota has produced hitches of poor quality. Like most auto makers they are not experts when it comes to towing.
The above is utter nonsense. and I'll eat those words if you can supply any evidence of its factuality.

Quote:
For what it's worth, here's what eTrailer.com had to say about them, "There are a few Class II hitches that have 2" x 2" receiver openings, but this is not common." But if Toyota offers one that fits, and that's what you want, then problem solved.
Truth be told, I'm not sure WHAT "class" Toyota calls its OEM hitch. I do know that it has a 3500 pound capacity, a two inch opening, and is clearly marked as not for use with W/D systems.

Those are EXACTLY the same specs given for the three so-called "Class three" hitches given at this E-trailer link as specifically for the Highlander under discussion here.

Do note that all preclude the use of W/D systems therewith.

The main and in my opinion critical difference remains the far superior methods/means of attachment utilized by the Toyota hitch.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where does it say that "all preclude the use of W/D systems therewith" ??
If you scroll down further on that page, you find the following:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 2.54.06 PM.png  
Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #46
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
The above is utter nonsense. and I'll eat those words if you can supply any evidence of its factuality.
Generally speaking one of the poorest performing tow vehicles is the Toyota 4 Runner. It has been talked about by top rated towing professionals as a vehicle that has everything wrong when used as a TV yet Toyota slaps a high tow rating on it. Shame on them.

Talk with the right people and you can learn a lot. The truth is out there.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #47

Quote:

The main and in my opinion critical difference remains the far superior methods/means of attachment utilized by the Toyota hitch.
And, then it says:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 3.03.14 PM.png  
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #48

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where does it say that "all preclude the use of W/D systems therewith" ??
If you scroll down further on that page, you find the following:
Click on the hitches listed at the link I provided- It's stated very plainly in the specifications for each hitch listed that they are "not rated for W/D".

It should come as no surprise that folks go ahead and buy such systems and plug 'em in anyway, given the constant repetition of such recommendations at sites like this one.

I thought some might be interested in seeing the difference, at least in hardware provided, between the Toyota OEM and aftermarket substitutes, so will post pics below for that purpose.

First below:
Toyota OEM hitch, which installs through the bumper instead of merely being bolted to the underbody of the vehicle like aftermarket hitches are.

source

Next below:
Aftermarket Curt for Highlander : Only thing included/not shown is the six bolts it attaches with.

source
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #49

Interesting. And buried deep in the specs.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Generally speaking one of the poorest performing tow vehicles is the Toyota 4 Runner. It has been talked about by top rated towing professionals as a vehicle that has everything wrong when used as a TV yet Toyota slaps a high tow rating on it. Shame on them.

Talk with the right people and you can learn a lot. The truth is out there.

I suspect that "The right People" referred to are those that are wanting to tow 250%+ over the rated limit and bad mouth Toyota because they can't figure out how to rig them up to do so.....

I've yet to hear of a Toyota factory hitch fail when used within it's specifications. More over, I am sure that if there were, that there would be an outstanding recall to remove or replace them poste-haste.....

And there are any number on this site that seem perfectly happy with their Toyota TV's, at least as far as towing goes... but I am sure that few, if any, belong to the "You tow this with that" club.

WOW, for a change I agree with Francesca

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Our first Toyota tow vehicle was a fresh-off-the-boat 1988 4-Runner (4 cyl., 4x4). When we went to the court house to register it, they didn't even have a category for "SUV" on the forms yet. They finally decided to check the "small truck" box because it had a truck-style frame under it (they actually went outside and looked at it!). For having only a 4 cylinder, it was like "the little train that could." I way over-loaded it at times (my bad, I know), but if you weren't in a hurry, it would get you anywhere you wanted to go pulling most anything you wanted to drag behind you - on-road or off - and I never had a problem with the hitch. The problem was no trailer brakes at the time and the distance it took for safe braking and getting those over-weight loads to stop. That's why we finally traded the 4-Runner in for an F250 SuperDuty with electric brake controller for heavy hauling. But that '88 4-Runner (along with my wife's little '84 Tercel from her college days) sold us on Toyotas, and we've owned one model or another pretty much ever since. My only complaint is how expensive the new ones are!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #52

Colorado
Quote:
First below:
Toyota OEM hitch, which installs through the bumper instead of merely being bolted to the underbody of the vehicle like aftermarket hitches are.
Francesca, I've not seen the Toyota OEM hitch in person, but from the photos you provided, it looks like the primary attachment for each hitch (OEM vs. 3rd party) is the same 6 bolts (3 per side) going through the same 6 pre-drilled holes in the undercarriage of the vehicle. It looks like the Toyota OEM mounts flush with the undercarriage (no drop), so the receiver is higher and passes through a hole in the plastic bumper as opposed to the third-party hitch that drops so the receiver passes under the bumper. But I don't see where simply passing through the bumper (which has to freely move to absorb any rear end impacts) makes the hitch mount any stronger. I can see one advantage in that the OEM hitch mount is high enough to go above the exhaust pipe where the dropped third party hitch has to dip even lower on the passenger side to go under the exhaust pipe. But as far as strength of attachment between the two, what else am I missing? What does the Toyota OEM hitch have beyond those same six main bolts that make it a more secure/stronger hitch than the third party hitches? Just curious....
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #53

Some things I see with the OEM hitch are:

1. Those two extra plates appear to bolt to the sides of the hitch and fasten to the frame, thus providing 4 more, 90 degree off-axis, attachment points.

2. There are also two "Loops" on the OEM hitch, directly above the drawbar box, that may also attach to the frame in some manner. Honda attaches the center of their hitches to a similar loop on the CRV and other models.

3. That the aftermarket hitch is further below the frame suggests some increased leverage against the bolts into the bottom of the frame.

Toyota has the advantage that they don't have to make a competitively priced hitch. They have the disadvantage that they can't afford to do it wrong.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 AM   #54
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Our first Toyota tow vehicle was a fresh-off-the-boat 1988 4-Runner (4 cyl., 4x4). When we went to the court house to register it, they didn't even have a category for "SUV" on the forms yet.
Nice! My buddy bought a new Toyota Land Cruiser (fore runner of the 4 Runner) in the mid 70's. He luved it for off roading. There was the famous winter storm here in Niagara called the Blizzard of 77. He left work on the Friday at the height of the storm, got in the LC but it wouldn't start. Not. He spent the weekend stranded at his workplace.

PS.. Don't get me wrong. One of the best cars I ever owned was a 1986 Toyota Camry.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #55

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I can see one advantage in that the OEM hitch mount is high enough to go above the exhaust pipe where the dropped third party hitch has to dip even lower on the passenger side to go under the exhaust pipe.
Do not underestimate the compromise this represents. I am no engineer, but I see this as the most likely failure point. I would find another tow vehicle, if this was required to tow a trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #56

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Some things I see with the OEM hitch are:

1. Those two extra plates appear to bolt to the sides of the hitch and fasten to the frame, thus providing 4 more, 90 degree off-axis, attachment points.....
I guess those additional metal plates, flanges and loops could play a role, but compared to the 6 big mounting bolts (7/16"?), the bolt holes in all those other things look relatively small, and I question how much additional weight or stress they can actually take. But maybe the added strength is in the shear number of smaller bolts spread over a larger area of the undercarriage. Could be, I guess. Not my concern, but I'm still curious....
Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #57

Name: Marshall
Trailer: Hoping to get one for my 50th bday
Pennsylvania
wow! Great thread. I didn't intend to start a debate over hitches lol but I'll give ToyTa a try o e m with 2 " receiver correct? What does o e m stand gor. Over extended motor? lol. I'll more than likely have that hitch installed a good while before I buy a tt because I may need to rent a trailer to move a piano from time to time. So what Is the link to the trailer website with ACTUAL WEIGHTS rather than dry wrights? Which brands use rivets scamp and? Would the owners helping owners forum be a good forum to discuss brands? Thanks everyone
Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #58

EOM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

And you never know what direction a given thread will take. It's one of the risks taken hereabouts.....

Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #59
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
But maybe the added strength is in the shear number of smaller bolts spread over a larger area of the undercarriage. Could be, I guess. Not my concern, but I'm still curious....
Yes, when you look at a pro built hitch/receiver platform they are spread over a very large area and designed (when used with a WDH) to direct the trailer tongue weight to the rear axle assembly area of the vehicle, (instead of the back bumper area of the vehicle) as well as to the front axles of the vehicle. Really works well when the design and install is done right.

Example.....
Attached Thumbnails
hitch chev.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #60

Ya, it's a real shame that 99.75% of the hitches out there aren't "Pro-Built", what ever that means.

But then again the peeps around here usually aren't looking to tow an Airstream (Much less even wanting one or being able afford one) and don't want to sink $2000 into a hitch, when an off-the-shelf one will do the job when used within the vehicles limits.

I thought that this horse had died.... what happened?