2005 toyota highlander yes or no? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, I looked up 2014 Highlander. WDHitch is not a problem.
Presumably you looked up the hitch. Since specs given by Toyota link for the 2014 Rav 4 limit towing capacity for all models to 1500 pounds, it's hard to imagine why one would want/need to use W/D at all on this car.

Also, per your particular 2008 (Canadian?) model, and in keeping with your well reasoned assertion that one must avoid generalities:
At least according to this carefully researched discussion, all Canadian model Rav 4's at least through 2008 came equipped with a tow prep package that included some kind of reinforcements at the hitch attachment points. This is/was an option-only on U.S. models.

Make sure you know what you have before you buy, folks!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #72

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I didn't look up the 2014 RAV4 because I know it is useless as a tow vehicle. I looked up my 2008 ( isn't that what I said? ) and I looked up 2014 Highlander ( isn't that what I said? ).
As for the tow prep package I have often warned U.S. members that several items were optional in the U.S. and standard in Canada so they need to check their specific vehicle.
Now what do you want to argue about?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #73

Registry
Quote:
I didn't look up the 2014 RAV4 because I know it is useless as a tow vehicle. I looked up my 2008 ( isn't that what I said? ) and I looked up 2014 Highlander ( isn't that what I said? ).
My bad...sorry!
BUT
The (unsourced) specs you listed look to me to be specs for a hitch, not the vehicle itself.
Quote:
And, I looked up 2014 Highlander. WDHitch is not a problem.
For the 2014 Highlander , Toyota lists capacities from 2,000 to a maximum of 5,000 pounds depending on model; and only those with the following standard equipment are capable of the uppermost limit:

Quote:
Heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator
And the following language is also included:
Quote:
Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up and loaded properly and that you have any necessary additional equipment.
Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions in your Owner’s Manual
. The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment.
I call that "follow all instructions" language pretty strong; if indeed such instructions include language against the use of W/D surely they should be given more weight than the specs/opinions of an aftermarket hitch supplier.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #74

British Columbia
Still waiting for a response from Toyota HQ.
As I have pointed out before, the sentence that says a WDHitch is not recommended is just one sentence, in black on white, like most of the rest of the manual.
All the important warnings are on a yellow field and some are also boxed with "WARNING".
Attached Thumbnails
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  

photo.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #75

Registry
Quote:
All the important warnings are on a yellow field and some are also boxed with "WARNING".

The owner's manual is a book of instructions.

And on page 350 of the instructions at this link for your 2008 Rav 4, it says very plainly:
Use only a weight carrying hitch designed for the total trailer weight.
That's an unambiguous statement. To dismiss it as unimportant simply because it's not contained in a yellow field strikes me as ludicrous since by that logic, one can simply ignore virtually ALL the instructions in the book.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #76

British Columbia
Would that be in the third photo that I posted?
Just keep at it Francesca. Keep going.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #77
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
I asked a follow up question regarding that most SUVs are unibody and got this response:

More and more of them are.

All I can tell you is what the folks at Cequent Performance Products (parent company of Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch) and Curt told me.

The 'frame' structure of the Highlander started to flex during the W/D portion of the hitch testing. The companies weren't pleased with that, so they don't recommend using weight distribution.
No doubt. In order to build a receive/platform they need to be designed with a larger spread especially in the forward direction that should reach to the rear axle of the vehicle. My dad's 1964 Dodge Polara was a unibody with a huge long overhang and that is how the hitch builder installed the receiver/platform 50 years ago. Worked great with a WDH.

Bottom line: Run of the mill designs today are made to fit in a box for ease in shipping and are inadequate in many cases. Not
Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #78

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmm... In the last three years I have purchased three hitches, two of which were approved for WD use, and none of them came in a box, all three came bare naked with an instruction envelope and shipping tag attached, but one had a small separate box with hardware enclosed

And I am sure some may be inadequate when not used within the specifications set by the the hitch & vehicle manufacturer.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #79
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm... In the last three years I have purchased three hitches, two of which were approved for WD use
Yes Bob, and we see them all the time. You were perhaps one of the lucky chaps who got a good one. Even used within spec, many are less than marginal.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #80

California
The exception can always be found. Somehow I don't that that the picture, which suggests that it is proving a point, is of a current production major name hitch. Judging by the vehicle I can guess that it is Chinese or eastern European and may be at least 20 years old.

Again, when used within design specifications, modern hitches are, for the vast majority of us, all good ones.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #81

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Yes Bob, and we see them all the time. You were perhaps one of the lucky chaps who got a good one. Even used within spec, many are less than marginal.
Hmmmm, I Forgot to ask

Exactly who is "WE"?

BUSTED?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #82

British Columbia
I was about to ask myself. Who is "We"?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #83

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
My dad's 1964 Dodge Polara was a unibody with a huge long overhang and that is how the hitch builder installed the receiver/platform 50 years ago. Worked great with a WDH.
So true- it's certainly nothing new.

There's a 1978 Ford P.U. in the bushes here with a similar setup. As Andy Thompson of CanAmRV says, "It's not rocket science....any competent welding shop can do it."
link to source. (See page six)

That's an interesting read on the subject, BTW...from his very candid description of where he learned what he knows, it's sort of a mystery how some have come to believe/promote the idea that there's some sort of originality about what it is that CanAm does. He himself sure doesn't represent it that way.

Go figure!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #84

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
All the j120 Yotes were and are fine vehicles for towing small and medium length trailers below 5k lbs with the proviso that they all have a short wheelbase. I was very happy with my 05 4runner with 4 Litre 6 cyl towing Burro 17 and even happier with 09 gx470 4.7 L v8 towing same. Body on frame beats unibody every time for simple attachment of the "bionic arm." Highlander and Rav4 are nice vehicles. Either would satisfy my requirements for daily driving. I have doubts that either can put Goldilocks in the tv that's "just right."

jack